Fairy resistant tyres

2»

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rubertoe wrote:
    On the subject of Tyres can someone talk me through the merits, Advantages and disadvantages of 23 over 25.

I have 25 on my Kaffenback but am looking at 23 on my Alur
    25 - comfier ride, generally slightly lower rolling resistance
    23 - slightly more aero (if mounted on a 23mm rim)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    rubertoe wrote:
    On the subject of Tyres can someone talk me through the merits, Advantages and disadvantages of 23 over 25.

How do you find the Alur?
    Looks like a stonking bike spec wise for 600 notes, and also is a very attractive frame design to my eye.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Daniel B wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

How do you find the Alur?
    Looks like a stonking bike spec wise for 600 notes, and also is a very attractive frame design to my eye.

I am really loving it, It is by far the lightest bike i have ridden (i know its not the lightest in the world, but it is the lightest i have ridden), its comfortable, the direct mounts are awesome, The frame is really good looking, I love the all internal cables.

I'll probably upgrade the wheels, but they are ok for now.

All in all i am really happy with it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    bit slow on this but over the years I've tried 28mm (and some 25mm) puncture resistant tyres from schwalbe (durano and durano plus), conti (ultra gators), specialized (nimbus armadillo), bontrager (hardcase) and some others.

Of these durano plus have offered the best combination of durability, puncture resistance and grip in the wet without feeling like a burden. The puncture resistance (in my experience) is MUCH better than standard duranos (which cut up quite quickly with flints/glass). Ultra gators might be slightly nicer to ride but I did get occasional punctures. One puncture in the rain on a dark February night offsets months and months of slightly nicer feel IMO!

I'm hate to tempt the fairy but durano plusses have been (so far) impervious (3 years of commuting). I have never ridden marathon plus but they are MUCH heavier than durano plus.

FWIW I prefer 28s to 25s - significantly more comfortable but don't feel slower to me (but I have mudguards and a pannier so aero is not a priority!)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Went to SPIN, the urban bike show in London on Saturday. They had a hybrid bike on the test track with some of those Tannus solid tyres so I gave them a go. Felt ok, they do have some give, but the ride was still kind of harsh (only rode a few laps though to be honest).

IT was dry also, so no chance to test in the wet, which would be my biggest concern
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    elbowloh wrote:
    Went to SPIN, the urban bike show in London on Saturday. They had a hybrid bike on the test track with some of those Tannus solid tyres so I gave them a go. Felt ok, they do have some give, but the ride was still kind of harsh (only rode a few laps though to be honest).

IT was dry also, so no chance to test in the wet, which would be my biggest concern
    Ugo tested those not long ago
    http://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/ze ... lid-tyres/
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    dhope wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

I did... then my wife rode the bike and ordered to remove them immediately... :cry:
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    dhope wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Intriguing and altogether a positive review.

I did... then my wife rode the bike and ordered to remove them immediately... :cry:

LOL - i was writing my post before I saw this, so presumably Mrs Ugo's review would be far less positive!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,257
    Daniel B wrote:
    LOL - i was writing my post before I saw this, so presumably Mrs Ugo's review would be far less positive!

Yes, she didn't say anything on the way out from Richmond to Hampton court, but she was very vocal on the way back... she said "they have no bounce!" which sums them up, really.
    Luckily, taking them off was less labour intensive than putting them on.

I think they are interesting if punctures are a real problem... if you puncture every week and you want a 23-25 mm tyre, then you might find them useful. The problem is that every other aspect of riding a bicycle is compromised a little or a lot.... comfort is compromised a lot
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Yes, she didn't say anything on the way out from Richmond to Hampton court, but she was very vocal on the way back... she said "they have no bounce!" which sums them up, really.
    Luckily, taking them off was less labour intensive than putting them on.

I think they are interesting if punctures are a real problem... if you puncture every week and you want a 23-25 mm tyre, then you might find them useful. The problem is that every other aspect of riding a bicycle is compromised a little or a lot.... comfort is compromised a lot

Yep not for me in my current situation, but sounds like it might well be perfect for a sub 10 mile commute, where you don't want the variable that would add time of a puncture, meaning you have to leave earlier to factor that eventuality in for each and every ride - this way it will take a bit longer, but the same virtually everytime.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I can confirm that Michelin Pro4 SC have limited puncture resistance. Between 3 & 5 punctures today in 90k. That said Conti GP4kS users were similarly afflicted. You know you've had a bad day when everyone has used up their tubes and you're nearly out of patches too!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I have a Bontrager hardcase tyre which I have had one bike since 2005 and it has never punctured -so I would say that it is pretty puncture resistant - unfortunately I don't think that version of that tyre is available now.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I can confirm that Michelin Pro4 SC have limited puncture resistance. Between 3 & 5 punctures today in 90k. That said Conti GP4kS users were similarly afflicted. You know you've had a bad day when everyone has used up their tubes and you're nearly out of patches too!

Should have used pro tech or pave 8)

Glad I had my pave's today the roads around Newbury and reading are just barely connected patches of crumbling tarmac between potholes.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    itboffin wrote:

Should have used pro tech or pave 8)

Glad I had my pave's today the roads around Newbury and reading are just barely connected patches of crumbling tarmac between potholes.

Paves now on (Pro Techs still in the UK) :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've made up my mind my all year Wiltshire tyres are now paves can't be arsed with anything less. I even used them on the 312
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.