Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Fairy resistant tyres

daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
edited May 2015 in Commuting chat
These Schwalbe Marathon Plus caught my eye today on CRC - aside from being a bit heavy, comes in 25 width and seems to get, in the main, rave reviews.

A visit today from the fairy mildy annoyed me, and on two previous outings, I have ended up with visitations on both the front and rear, which rather knocks me out of my cadence.

I am running Michelin Pro Race 4's - not the endurance ones.

So would the above be a good choice as a winter/training tyre, or is there something else that is a better option?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18
«1

Posts

  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. Awesome tyres.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    cjcp wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. Awesome tyres.

    Aha, more roadie speed orientated version. Genius. Thankyou!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jamescojamesco Posts: 687
    Daniel B wrote:
    These Schwalbe Marathon Plus caught my eye today on CRC - aside from being a bit heavy, comes in 25 width and seems to get, in the main, rave reviews.
    I'm a fan of looking at aggregate reviews from the shop rather than individual ones on a forum, but since you asked, there are better options than the 28mm M+ :)

    I swapped the tyres that came on my bike - puncture-resistant 28mm Conti Contact II - for puncture-proof 28mm M+ and the ride became really uncomfortable. My guess is that at that width, there isn't enough air in a M+ to give any cushioning; the sidewalls are just too stiff and the tread too thick.

    Some will say that the Conti GP 4 Seasons are the best tyre; having just had to throw a new one away due to a cut sustained on Old Street, I'd disagree. The best thing about them is that they're easy to get on/off when they puncture; £30 each is too much.

    Vittoria Randonneur II are cheap enough - £13.49 each - to experiment with.
  • roger_merrimanroger_merriman Posts: 6,155
    jamesco wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    These Schwalbe Marathon Plus caught my eye today on CRC - aside from being a bit heavy, comes in 25 width and seems to get, in the main, rave reviews.
    I'm a fan of looking at aggregate reviews from the shop rather than individual ones on a forum, but since you asked, there are better options than the 28mm M+ :)

    I swapped the tyres that came on my bike - puncture-resistant 28mm Conti Contact II - for puncture-proof 28mm M+ and the ride became really uncomfortable. My guess is that at that width, there isn't enough air in a M+ to give any cushioning; the sidewalls are just too stiff and the tread too thick.

    Some will say that the Conti GP 4 Seasons are the best tyre; having just had to throw a new one away due to a cut sustained on Old Street, I'd disagree. The best thing about them is that they're easy to get on/off when they puncture; £30 each is too much.

    Vittoria Randonneur II are cheap enough - £13.49 each - to experiment with.

    knock some air out and M+ are fine, also gives much better grip, the 25mm and 90KG I'd run at 60psi, no issues, don't get me wrong still a fairly wooden ride, but they are so much better at low(ish) pressures.
  • rower63rower63 Posts: 1,991
    cjcp wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. Awesome tyres.
    this
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • meanredspidermeanredspider Posts: 12,550
    It's funny how these puncture threads are. One of the reasons why I'm such a fan of Rubino Pros is that they're great at keeping the fairy away up here - better than so-called puncture-resistant tyres like the Bontrager Hardcase and the Gatorskins - and infinitely better than tyres like the GP2000Ss. So, whatever it is that normally punctures them up here (normally splinters of glass in my experience) the Rubinos resist them and are cheap and quick with it. Not recommending them since some people find them slippery (mostly 23c it seems) but pointing out how, has been noted before, puncture-resistance seems to depend on several factors.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jamescojamesco Posts: 687
    knock some air out and M+ are fine, also gives much better grip, the 25mm and 90KG I'd run at 60psi, no issues, don't get me wrong still a fairly wooden ride, but they are so much better at low(ish) pressures.
    Mine had about 65 psi in them and 'wooden' is a good description :)
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    If you are happy to ride 23c I really rate Vredestein Fortezza Quattro Tricomps. Have done about 5k per tyre around London without issue. The only reason I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 Service Course is a switch to 25c but they have done around 3k without issue too. The Vredesteins will be back on for Winter (as I use Crud MKII guards).

    I've always had a bad time with continental.
  • fat_tailfat_tail Posts: 786
    iPete wrote:
    If you are happy to ride 23c I really rate Vredestein Fortezza Quattro Tricomps. Have done about 5k per tyre around London without issue. The only reason I'm currently using Michelin Pro4 Service Course is a switch to 25c but they have done around 3k without issue too. The Vredesteins will be back on for Winter (as I use Crud MKII guards).

    I've always had a bad time with continental.


    after many different attempts I think I have come up with an ideal tyre combination. From March to September Vittoria Rubino Pros and from October to Feb Vredestein Fortezzza Tricomp or all weather. The Rubino Pros are just super comfortable and roll very nicely. my only issue is that they are little jittery in the wet. The Vredesteins are great in the wet but a little harsher and more expensive than the Vittorias.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • TheStoneTheStone Posts: 2,291
    Durano+
    Looks like the latest version has a bit more grip too.
    exercise.png
  • tgotbtgotb Posts: 4,714
    rower63 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano Pluses. Awesome tyres.
    this
    Switched from Conti 4 Seasons to these a month or so ago, largely on the recommendation of r63, cjcp and other forumites. Too early to comment on the longevity, but so far I'm a big fan. Very similar feel to the Contis.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,252
    Switched from Conti GP4S to Michelin Pro4 Endurance and am very happy indeed. Roll as fast, better grip, no visits from the fairies, slightly larger volume for the same 25mm nominal size so slightly less tyre pressure and more comfort :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for all those replies guys, really useful.

    I have run Rubino Pro's as well, and they are currently on my gf's bike - the problem round here is that after a bit of rain we end up with loads and loads of little shards of razor flint all over the roads, and much as I try to weave inbetween them, sometimes there is just too much to avoid, and the inevitable happens.
    Also twice my gf's tyres have suffered from a slash in the tyre sidewall, once on the very first ride with a new pair of tyres! Granted that could happen to any tyre I guess.

    I think the Marathons sound a bit too slow for my needs - I still want to complete fastish training rides, but the Durano's may well hit the spot, just not sure whether to go for 23 or 25 - have also noticed the Durano Plus Etape out there which seems to be the same tyre basically.

    Thinking that 5mm foam layer might be quite good at filling up with flint, until I end up riding a set of flint tyres - like some kind of time traveller.....

    Seeing some reasonable prices on ebay too.

    I will check out the 1/2 Vredestein recommendations as well as the Pro 4 Endurance tyres - didn't have a good experience with the Virroria's - sidewalls cracked in double quick time.
    Has anyone noticed there is a V2 range of Pro 4's out there?

    Assuming the fairy might still pay a visit with these tyres, have people found them a right pita to get off the rim - my nightmare is being 30 miles from home, and not being able to get the tyre on or off - I do have metal levers which I could take.

    This is the kind of thing (Review of Pro 4 Endurance) that keeps me awake at night - well not really:
    Good quality but tough tyre. Difficult to mount. Even with my steel fingers there is no way I could put this on without levering it in with tyre levers. I know I am not suppose to do that but that is the only way I can mount it. Even then with difficulty and took me a long time. I hope I don't get a punch. I don't think I could put this back on by the roadside.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    25s unless you have a particular hankering for 23s. Comfier, no slower
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    dhope wrote:
    25s unless you have a particular hankering for 23s. Comfier, no slower

    25's sound fine - what is this with running less tyre pressure for a bigger tyre?
    I normally run my 23's at between 90-100 psi, what would be the recommendation for a 25?
    I'm 72kg.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,252
    Absolutely no issues fitting the Pro4 E to my A23s. In fact no levers needed, just thumbs!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rubertoerubertoe Posts: 3,993
    I, Like MRS am a big fan of Rubino Pro and will be replacing the Equinoxes on my Alur when they start to wane.

    I have them on Kaffenback for commuting duties and they are comfy and fast and pretty fairy resisitant, and if they do get a visit, they are easy to get on and off in the winter from the open pros, with out levers.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

    PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • imatfaalimatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I use Marathon Plus - because they are "almost" unbreakable. I wore the last set out (the blue started showing) with no punctures and the previous set only puncture when I went over an inch long wood staple thingie. I hate punctures on my commute - twice in east london late at night I have had unwelcome attention when changing tyres (police pulled up once and the second time I hit the guy with the newly fixed wheel) - so I am willing to put up with a pretty bad ride in order to avoid. I do 50 km a day Westminster to Essex with two portions of canal/river path and they hold up well

    I have just got a new one from wiggle today - and it seems to have new tread design so maybe it is updated version.
  • telesv650telesv650 Posts: 59
    I use standard marathons. Never had a puncture in 3 years riding on cycle track, tow path and road.

    They are a bit heavy and an utter pig to fit, but so far indestructible and ride well on all surfaces (even the beach!)
  • Levi_501Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have run Marathin Plus for 11 years of London commuting; not one puncture.

    I trust that is a good recommendation.

    The have occasionally been used on park rides, Richmond etc.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    I don't actually commute at present, as I am very fortunate to only be 5 minutes walk from work.

    However I do cover a reasonable amount of mileage, nearly 1600 miles so far this year, and a lot of that is on flint strewn roads.

    I think I am erring towards a pair of Durano Plus 25's for the winter/training bike, and Pro4 Endurance for the CR1.

    This has turned into quite an interestig thread :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaalimatfaal Posts: 2,716
    re - Schwalbes and being a pig to fit. Check out Spa Cycles and their instructional videos. A couple of bits of string or toe-straps make any tyre fitting a piece of cake
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    imatfaal wrote:
    re - Schwalbes and being a pig to fit. Check out Spa Cycles and their instructional videos. A couple of bits of string or toe-straps make any tyre fitting a piece of cake

    I did indeed watch that, not sure if that only applies to wire beads or not....?

    Should that mwethod also work for non puncture resistant folding tyres do you know?
    Although presumably as the tyre is less structually sound it might be difficult to push it down into the well of the wheel and thus free up that little bit of extra room.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • imatfaalimatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Daniel B wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    re - Schwalbes and being a pig to fit. Check out Spa Cycles and their instructional videos. A couple of bits of string or toe-straps make any tyre fitting a piece of cake

    I did indeed watch that, not sure if that only applies to wire beads or not....?

    Should that mwethod also work for non puncture resistant folding tyres do you know?
    Although presumably as the tyre is less structually sound it might be difficult to push it down into the well of the wheel and thus free up that little bit of extra room.

    I think you are right and it would only really apply to the stiff wire beaded tyres
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,777
    Daniel B wrote:
    I think I am erring towards a pair of Durano Plus 25's for the winter/training bike, and Pro4 Endurance for the CR1.

    So I have ordered the above, think I managed to find the best price overall, which was from PBK, using GEORGE3 to give a 15% discount on 4 tyres - GEORGE2 gives 10% on 2 tyres.
    Grand total a smidge under £102, and with 2% quidco cashback shou,d mean they come in at a whisker under £50 a pair, not cheap, but if they are as good, respectively, as they appear to be, it will be a wise investment I reckon.

    Will also consider the Marathon pluses for the Minute, perhaps just so I can have a go at pushing the bead into the well of the wheel! :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    imatfaal wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    re - Schwalbes and being a pig to fit. Check out Spa Cycles and their instructional videos. A couple of bits of string or toe-straps make any tyre fitting a piece of cake

    I did indeed watch that, not sure if that only applies to wire beads or not....?

    Should that mwethod also work for non puncture resistant folding tyres do you know?
    Although presumably as the tyre is less structually sound it might be difficult to push it down into the well of the wheel and thus free up that little bit of extra room.

    I think you are right and it would only really apply to the stiff wire beaded tyres

    No, this is not so. It works fine for folding bead tyres.

    Life is too short to ride a bike with Marathon Plus Tyres on it unless it has Barclays or Santander stickers all over it. No bike is nice to ride with them on - I'd rather spend hundreds of hours enjoying a bike at the price of a couple of times of ten minutes a year fixing a flat than run Marathon Plus.

    Any of the Durano range is fine. Eg the S version - I get the odd puncture riding on city streets with scrap yards on them but it is pretty rare. First time out with one this year and there is suddenly a clicking noise from one wheel. I stop and discover a big long piece of stiff wire sticking out of the tyre that kept fouling the mudguard stay. Pulled the wire out (with some effort) and continued on perfectly happily. They are good.

    Just bought Marathon Supremes for the tourer though. They are universally highly rated but well over £30 a go even with discount.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • roger_merrimanroger_merriman Posts: 6,155
    Rolf F wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:
    re - Schwalbes and being a pig to fit. Check out Spa Cycles and their instructional videos. A couple of bits of string or toe-straps make any tyre fitting a piece of cake

    I did indeed watch that, not sure if that only applies to wire beads or not....?

    Should that mwethod also work for non puncture resistant folding tyres do you know?
    Although presumably as the tyre is less structually sound it might be difficult to push it down into the well of the wheel and thus free up that little bit of extra room.

    I think you are right and it would only really apply to the stiff wire beaded tyres

    No, this is not so. It works fine for folding bead tyres.

    Life is too short to ride a bike with Marathon Plus Tyres on it unless it has Barclays or Santander stickers all over it. No bike is nice to ride with them on - I'd rather spend hundreds of hours enjoying a bike at the price of a couple of times of ten minutes a year fixing a flat than run Marathon Plus.

    Any of the Durano range is fine. Eg the S version - I get the odd puncture riding on city streets with scrap yards on them but it is pretty rare. First time out with one this year and there is suddenly a clicking noise from one wheel. I stop and discover a big long piece of stiff wire sticking out of the tyre that kept fouling the mudguard stay. Pulled the wire out (with some effort) and continued on perfectly happily. They are good.

    Just bought Marathon Supremes for the tourer though. They are universally highly rated but well over £30 a go even with discount.

    Even heavy bikes can retain a fair bit of spring in their step with lighter racier tyres,

    Before i used to commute/about town was a SS with various training 25mm tyres i'd get a few punctures a year 2 maybe 3 always glass.

    Now i've switched to a old MTB for commute/town with light weight race tyres ie Racing Ralphs, zero visits not a fairy in sight and this is with tyres that are light fragile things.

    The MTB remains quick (ish) even with full panniers.

    For the OP Durano plus sounds good, not as indestructible as the Marathon plus but a lot lighter.
  • imatfaalimatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Rolf F wrote:
    Life is too short to ride a bike with Marathon Plus Tyres on it unless it has Barclays or Santander stickers all over it. No bike is nice to ride with them on - I'd rather spend hundreds of hours enjoying a bike at the price of a couple of times of ten minutes a year fixing a flat than run Marathon Plus.

    In the nice roads of Essex and the much nicer and hillier roads of Yorkshire I could not agree more - but commuting through scummy parts of London is another question entirely. The road quality in London is truly dreadful now - and the amount of construction means that sharp road rubbish is commonplace (I ride a bit around Leeds and Wakefield as my two brothers are still Yorkshire based - so I am not imagining the roads there as some sort of cyclists nirvana).

    I am quite prepared to believe that more skilled riders avoid the pitfalls that puncture my tyres so frequently - and if I lost a few more kilos then matter might improve too; but the last time I was off heavy tyres I punctured in Stratford twice and once on the Bow Road within a month. The tyres stayed on for about five weeks - so about 1000k of commuting and runs to the shops etc
  • rubertoerubertoe Posts: 3,993
    On the subject of Tyres can someone talk me through the merits, Advantages and disadvantages of 23 over 25.

    I have 25 on my Kaffenback but am looking at 23 on my Alur
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

    PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhopedhope Posts: 6,699
    rubertoe wrote:
    On the subject of Tyres can someone talk me through the merits, Advantages and disadvantages of 23 over 25.

    I have 25 on my Kaffenback but am looking at 23 on my Alur
    Stick with 25s, they're comfier and not slower
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
Sign In or Register to comment.