Are Canyon delivering according to their estimates ?

yertez
yertez Posts: 80
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking at the Canyon ultimate CF 9.0 SL.
Only issue is delivery is estimated to be mid July for an order today.

This is for a trip and any slip would be a disaster.

Any experience of how good they are at meeting their delivery estimates ?

Comments

• Last year they had problems due to quality issues with the CF SLX frame so should be ok on their delivery dates, but also bare in mind they usually discount all bikes during the Tour.

How much slack have you got in your dates?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • yertez
    They are quoting Wk 28.
    Needed by Wk 37.

9 wks slack.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Things may be better now but my experience (and that of several other forum members) was that they failed to meet quoted delivery dates last year. There was a lot of discussion here about Canyon's delivery issues.

I ordered an "in stock" CF SLX on February 8 last year and delivery should have been within a few days. I was hoping to take my new bike away on holiday. My delivery week kept getting put back week after week and as time went on I was offered free Vermarc bibtights, Vermarc top and a pair of Oakleys to compensate for the delay. I finally cancelled on March 28 when Canyon UK said they could still give me no firm date as to when my bike (still listed on website as "in stock") would arrive. I used my old bike for my holiday.

Robin from Canyon UK was very apologetic and admitted I was one of quite a few British customers in the same boat. He blamed problems with supply of frames and not emough staff in Germany to build up and deliver bikes.

Some customers for other models, such as the SL, did get bikes on time or even earlier than the quoted date.
  • yertez wrote:
    They are quoting Wk 28.
    Needed by Wk 37.

9 wks slack.

That should be fine, once you place your order they don't take any payment until they despatch the bike so if dates move to the right you could just cancel and buy something else.
  • yertez
    Good point on the payment.

Interesting to see if paying in Euros to Ireland / France / Germany, it's approx £390 cheaper than shipping to UK.

The site then changes the default currency to GBP when selecting a UK shipping address. And the GBP prices assume approx 1.12 Euro to pound exchange rate.

"Treasure Island" again :(
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    You've probably checked the outlet and express bikes sections of the website.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    yertez wrote:
    Good point on the payment.

Interesting to see if paying in Euros to Ireland / France / Germany, it's approx £390 cheaper than shipping to UK.

The site then changes the default currency to GBP when selecting a UK shipping address. And the GBP prices assume approx 1.12 Euro to pound exchange rate.

"Treasure Island" again :(

I know the feeling mate!

I'm thinking of heading over to Koblenz, as I could then try the bike, pay in Euros and have a day or two in Germany while breaking even due to the money saved on the price of the bike. Hopefully they will update the conversion rate soon.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Should ve joined the Euro 8)

There were issues last year but I, and many other people, got their bikes on the day the predicted when I ordered. Have a look at the Canyon Thread in MTB General. Many many satisfied customers

Good luck if you go for it, it's the only way I ve found for an adult to recreate that kid waiting for Christmas feeling
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    There are plenty of us on here that live in France / Holland / Germany.

I'm sure that if you offered a few quid, people wouldn't mind receiving a bike and posting it on to you.

Failing that, nip over on Eurostar and pick it up from a hotel or B&B.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    There's no guarantee you'll get the bike on time. There have been delays in the past. Primarily for the CF SLX when it was released in 2013 and in some instances last year. However many others, myself included have had no problems at all. I bought an Ultimate CF SL 9.0 last year and it arrived exactly when it was supposed to.
    Lovely bikes and great value. As others mentioned, if there is a problem you'll have time to cancel and get something else should you need to.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I ordered my Ultimate CF SL Frame in October 2014 and was quoted week 12 2015.It came on time got it the last week in March.
  • There are plenty of us on here that live in France / Holland / Germany.

I'm sure that if you offered a few quid, people wouldn't mind receiving a bike and posting it on to you.

Failing that, nip over on Eurostar and pick it up from a hotel or B&B.

Thats a kind offer Bernie.
  • yertez
    Good idea, turns out I have a friend whio lives about 5 mins from the Caen ferry terminal, and I live near Portsmouth :)
    Think I will call their cust service guys and ask why it's such a big difference - if you don't ask...
  • bernithebiker
    yertez wrote:
    Good idea, turns out I have a friend whio lives about 5 mins from the Caen ferry terminal, and I live near Portsmouth :)
    Think I will call their cust service guys and ask why it's such a big difference - if you don't ask...

I doubt they'll change their policy just for you though! Could be they locked in the exchange rate last year to protect themselves, when it was much lower. Bad move! Or could be blatant profiteering...who knows!

But sounds like you're perfectly set up with your mate though, so all good there then.
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    If a bike is in stock how long does delivery typically take? Going to be in Spain first week in June and would like to have a Canyon delivered which I can bring back. Was thinking of ordering on the Monday prior to the Saturday we will be arriving.
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    jimmurray wrote:
    If a bike is in stock how long does delivery typically take? Going to be in Spain first week in June and would like to have a Canyon delivered which I can bring back. Was thinking of ordering on the Monday prior to the Saturday we will be arriving.

My instock Ultimate slx took 8 days from Canyon to my door.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    fuel2000 wrote:
    jimmurray wrote:

My instock Ultimate slx took 8 days from Canyon to my door.

Same - 8 days door to door.

Friend ordered a CF SL late March with a delivery week of this week given and it shipped last Friday so they should just hit that.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 127
    Yes they are. Ordered Ultimate CF SL in Feb with 4 week delivery estimate. Bike arrived in 4 days!
    looking into the +1
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I got an email from Canyon today saying my Aeroad is going to be delayed two weeks. Gutted!
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    I ordered some bar tape from them on Monday, I've since had a due date of week 34, w/b 17th August!
    I hope it's not delayed LOL.

I know there's other tape available but I like the Canyon Ergospeed stuff.
  • E17Blade wrote:
    I got an email from Canyon today saying my Aeroad is going to be delayed two weeks. Gutted!

Last year they were throwing in a few freebies to those delayed orders.
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    E17Blade wrote:

Nice tip - thank you.

Would rather have the bike on time though.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    I ordered an Ultimate SL 9.0 di2 and had shipping delayed twice so cancelled it!

Great bikes but I lost trust in them..... :(

I live in Holland so if anybody needs to use me as a go-between shipping address to save yourself a few quid drop me a PM, be happy to help out a fellow cyclist!

Neil.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • ai_1
    neilr4 wrote:
    I ordered an Ultimate SL 9.0 di2 and had shipping delayed twice so cancelled it!

Great bikes but I lost trust in them..... :(

I live in Holland so if anybody needs to use me as a go-between shipping address to save yourself a few quid drop me a PM, be happy to help out a fellow cyclist!

Neil.
    You might be popular!
    What's your cut? :wink:
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    Not doing this to make anything...... to send a bike on once in a while isn't too much effort now is it? plus there's the trust factor from whoever order's the bike!!!!!

People have done stuff for me in the past and as payment they said do something for someone else so just paying it forward!

The exchange rate at the minute favours you guys so if it were the other way around I would be glad of some help :lol:
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • ai_1
    neilr4 wrote:
    Not doing this to make anything...... to send a bike on once in a while isn't too much effort now is it? plus there's the trust factor from whoever order's the bike!!!!!

People have done stuff for me in the past and as payment they said do something for someone else so just paying it forward!

The exchange rate at the minute favours you guys so if it were the other way around I would be glad of some help :lol:
    Don't worry, I was just kidding. I didn't really think you were trying to profit out of your offer, just being generous
  • JPJ001
    JPJ001 Posts: 40
    E17Blade wrote:
    E17Blade wrote:

Nice tip - thank you.

Would rather have the bike on time though.

I got an email on Monday saying my Aeroad that was due this week will be 5 weeks late. They offered to throw in a saddle bag and multi tool.

I've not got much confidence it will be delivered in week 24 so going to test a Giant Propel this weekend.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    My Aeroad had an ETA of week 19, last week.

New ETA week 26, 7 week delay.

Threw in a Message bag or something like that, worth 49 euros apparently.

Ordered mine in January, still trying to work out how to pay in Euros and save a few ££
  • bernithebiker
    Mikey1976 wrote:

Ordered mine in January, still trying to work out how to pay in Euros and save a few ££

That's pretty poor by Canyon - they gave themselves 5 months to supply your bike, (a huge lead time), and then still can't perform, and they want another 2 months, which will miss a good chunk of summer.

If it was me, and I had any hair, I'd be pulling it out...!

I don't think they'll let you pay in Euros if you're getting it delivered to the UK.
  • ai_1
    Mikey1976 wrote:

That's frustrating!
    So they didn't update the ETA until the existing one had already expired? :x
    I'd be rather annoyed about that.