My Future Man (or Woman)

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    George Wood, Richardsons-Trek.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    So who should we be looking at from the Continent and further afield? I don't follow the lower level races that much. From memory the Danes and Central European or Balkan riders have done well in recent junior worlds?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    So who should we be looking at from the Continent and further afield? I don't follow the lower level races that much. From memory the Danes and Central European or Balkan riders have done well in recent junior worlds?
    There's a German website that since 2004 has been listing their top u23 prospects at the end of each season. (It tends to be a little bias towards German/Dutch/Danish riders, whom they know more about).

You can find their lists here:

http://www.cycling4fans.com/index.php?id=3036

Top 10 for 2014 were:
    1. Magnus Cort Nielsen
    2. Mathieu van der Poel
    3. Gregor Mühlberger
    4. Silvio Herklotz
    5. Phil Bauhaus
    6. Stefan Küng
    7. Jack Haig
    8. Robert Power
    9. Tiesj Benoot
    10. Mike Teunissen

It's interesting to look back on some of the historical lists (no.1 picks have a very patchy record).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Paul 8v wrote:
    George Wood, Richardsons-Trek.

Wahey! George is brimming with potential. He's got the right attitude for it too.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    There's a German website that since 2004 has been listing their top u23 prospects at the end of each season. (It tends to be a little bias towards German/Dutch/Danish riders, whom they know more about).

You can find their lists here:

http://www.cycling4fans.com/index.php?id=3036

Top 10 for 2014 were:
    1. Magnus Cort Nielsen
    2. Mathieu van der Poel
    3. Gregor Mühlberger
    4. Silvio Herklotz
    5. Phil Bauhaus
    6. Stefan Küng
    7. Jack Haig
    8. Robert Power
    9. Tiesj Benoot
    10. Mike Teunissen

It's interesting to look back on some of the historical lists (no.1 picks have a very patchy record).

I love reading that site's rankings.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    In terms of super-talented Norwegians, Odd Christian Eiking and Daniel Hoelgaard look to be good bets for the future. Both strong sprinters, but Hoelgaard can TT and also seems to do well getting into the breaks. Their palmares speak for themselves.

The French talent du jour is Lilian Calmejane from Vendee U, who won a stage and the overall in Le Triptyque des Monts et Châteaux as well as a stage and 5th on GC at Le Tour de Bretagne. I really like the way he rides, he uses his skills as a puncheur to get gaps on rolling stages. Good 'crosser too.

Honourable mention to Antoine Demoitie from Wallonie Bruxelles. He's a bit older, at 24, but I can't understand how he hasn't got a Pro-conti or WT contract. 30 top 20s last year in races up to .HC level, and he won against WT competition at the Tour du Finistère last year. Currently 10th on the Europe Tour, check his palmares out.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    my shout was in break in TdY on final stage
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Joe Dombrowski. Yes, he is a third-year pro but he has been hampered by injury and illness thus far. Hopefully he can progress further and realise his full potential.

My second pick is Eddie Dunbar. Obviously. :D

DD.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    LeePaton wrote:
    This is going to take a few years to nurture but Joseph Nally.

Local lad, humble as hell and just an absolute legripper!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/youth ... uth-Tour-0

Actually third last night, second picture down on the trek.

Raced against him last night - won his youth race then an hour later was in the 2/3 which i think was his first race against adults. Won that too and lapped the field!
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    LeePaton wrote:

Raced against him last night - won his youth race then an hour later was in the 2/3 which i think was his first race against adults. Won that too and lapped the field!

Yeah I read that. His reaction was pretty nonplussed as well.

He will go far.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    LeePaton wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:

Yeah I read that. His reaction was pretty nonplussed as well.

He will go far.

He deserves a medal for that result in the IOM Youth Tour, the weather was atrocious.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    We breed them tough up here!!!

He won the Tour of Scotland a few weeks back as well.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.