Boxing

13»

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    drummer wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Greatest by what measure?! He had an amazing combination of hand and foot speed and power but he could be shut down - fighters like Smith, Tucker, Green and Ratliff were all able to do it in his absolute prime - and if he didnt steamroller you he ran out of ideas; and those who stood up to him - Holyfield, Douglas - got his measure and beat him. You can argue that the drugs, the women and his mental health diminished him at young age and that would be true but if you want to call someone the greatest they have to have more longevity and they cant unracel as a fighter in the way that Tyson did.

I am not sure of anyone in the boxing game that would agree with this.
    Tyson was untouchable until his setup in the rape charges, he was followed by yes men instead of real people like Cus. There was, were and are no other heavyweight fighters that could honestly suggest that they could beat him in their prime.

I could name you a few if you like?

Sure, go ahead.
    Living MY dream.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    VTech wrote:
    Different types of fighters but in a square ring where you have nowhere to run, Tyson simply couldn't be stopped in his prime and he fought the best, time and time again.

I tend to agree that he was unstoppable, but unfortunately the late 80s and early 90s were a bit short of talent... he fought some serious dogs... I still recall wehn even Italian Damiani had a slot to fight Tyson, then he got injured and it never happened...

260px-Francesco_Damiani.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    His injury may well have been serendipitous. Nothing in his record suggested he had the chin or heart to live with a puncher like Tyson. However, I think you might find that it was Evander Holyfield rather than Tyson, that Damiani was scheduled to fight. The Italian avoided fighting by dint of an alleged ankle injury.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Damiani began his pro career on a tear, with 27 consecutive victories over limited opposition. He defeated Tyrell Biggs in a rematch of their Olympic meeting, stopping him on a cut, and then won the newly created WBO Heavyweight title with a 3rd round KO victory over Johnny DuPlooy on May 6, 1989. Damiani hit a brick wall when he took on 1988 Olympic Gold Medalist Ray Mercer in 1991 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Damiani was ahead on points but went down after a Mercer left uppercut broke his nose, and he was counted out by the referee in the 9th round.

Damiani would come back in 1992 to take a decision over former champion Greg Page, but was KO'd in the following bout in 1993 by Oliver McCall, ending his career.
    If not knocked out early, he could of got badly hurt by prolonged heavy punishment. History tells us that when a fighter and a boxer clash at the highest level, the outcome can be tragic for the boxer if the fight is a long one. eg McClellan v Benn, Watson v Eubank.
    That said, the defeats to Mercer and McCall pointed to Damiani having little stomach for personal suffering. Both bouts where essentially ended by a bloodied nose.The Mercer ending is documented in the quote above. In the McCall fight Damiani turned away and signaled enough, retiring on his feet, when McCall caught him flush on the nose in the 8th.
    Facing a Tyson at the height of his powers, Damiani's chances of success , or even survival past round one, would appear to have been very slim indeed. Holyfield's legendary love on an all-out war in the ring, might well have found the Italian wanting in all departments.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    Anyone see the Golovkin fight this weekend? the tragedy is that, with everything on pay tv, he's not a household name despite being one of the most feared fighters of recent years. Unfortunately, I didn't see it - can't afford to pay to watch sport.
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    jawooga wrote:
    Anyone see the Golovkin fight this weekend? the tragedy is that, with everything on pay tv, he's not a household name despite being one of the most feared fighters of recent years. Unfortunately, I didn't see it - can't afford to pay to watch sport.

Gennady Golovkin is the best boxer I have ever seen in the intermediate weight divisions (welter.light,middle). The reason he is not a household name is that he is too good, nobody who is anybody wants to fight him, including Floyd "I'll pick my fights carefully" Mayweather.

I didn't see his latest fight, but for anyone who is unaware of this guy -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gYjHXzkho

Beware the boxer that has the face of a normal guy.
  • VTech
    Im watching the Khan fight in New York in 2 weeks, can't wait, I reckon he is a great fighter.
    Living MY dream.
  • Origami02
    jawooga wrote:

Gennady Golovkin is the best boxer I have ever seen in the intermediate weight divisions (welter.light,middle). The reason he is not a household name is that he is too good, nobody who is anybody wants to fight him, including Floyd "I'll pick my fights carefully" Mayweather.

I didn't see his latest fight, but for anyone who is unaware of this guy -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gYjHXzkho

Had never heard of him. Watched the video, and few others of him. Mustard !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Origami02 wrote:
    Mustard !

I DON'T CARE IF HE'S MOHAMMED 'I'M HARD' BRUCE LEE
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    jawooga wrote:

That's a pretty bold claim considering he hasn't fought anyone who is anyone yet. Don't get me wrong, he's a beast, but the best ever at the weight?

There aren't many big fights at middleweight, Canelo would be one. Cotto is too small and pretty much at the end of his career, as is Mayweather.

It's ok saying Mayweather should move up to fight a guy 20-25lbs heavier than him who hits like a truck, but we'd find out a whole lot more about Golovkin if he moves up and fights Andre Ward. Then we'll know how good he is.
  • Origami02
    coriordan wrote:
    Origami02 wrote:
    Mustard !

I DON'T CARE IF HE'S MOHAMMED 'I'M HARD' BRUCE LEE

Oh that's a relief to hear. I'll pass on the good news. Thank goodness you're not offended...... :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ74g5crWWIKvSy1hq2Be7cszjWFXbZXI8UnmsqfcOPnS5dzU292g
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    NorvernRob wrote:
    jawooga wrote:

That's a pretty bold claim considering he hasn't fought anyone who is anyone yet. Don't get me wrong, he's a beast, but the best ever at the weight?

Check out the stats -

Golovkin (33-0 with 30 KOs) recorded his 20th-straight knockout Saturday, stopping Willie Monroe Jr. in the sixth round.

Golovkin owns the highest knockout percentage in middleweight title history at nearly 91 percent.
  • jawooga
    That ko record is exactly why he's feared, alongside his classy boxing technique ie he's no slugger. However Rob has a point about needing several career defining fights. I don't think a fight against Mayweather will be any good for either of them. Unfortunately he probably has to step up to super middle, but there are two or three very good boxers in that division including Ward and Froch. If he can carry on those stats at super middle, then Jebus he's good!
  • Origami02
    Watched quite a few of his fights now, and he doesn't appear to be fighting mugs. Be good if a really high profile fighter would take the risk and fight him. Easy to see why they're not over keen though.
  • VTech wrote:
    drummer wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Greatest by what measure?! He had an amazing combination of hand and foot speed and power but he could be shut down - fighters like Smith, Tucker, Green and Ratliff were all able to do it in his absolute prime - and if he didnt steamroller you he ran out of ideas; and those who stood up to him - Holyfield, Douglas - got his measure and beat him. You can argue that the drugs, the women and his mental health diminished him at young age and that would be true but if you want to call someone the greatest they have to have more longevity and they cant unracel as a fighter in the way that Tyson did.

Tyson was untouchable until his setup in the rape charges, he was followed by yes men instead of real people like Cus. There was, were and are no other heavyweight fighters that could honestly suggest that they could beat him in their prime.

Sure, go ahead.

Sorry for butting in but Lennox Lewis for starters, forget about when they finally met where Tyson was shot to bits. Even if that fight happened around 96 Lewis still wins. There's a very good reason why the likes of Tyson (Around 95/96) and Bowe both ducked Lewis...they'd loose.
  • VTech
    VTech wrote:
    drummer wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:

Sure, go ahead.

Sorry for butting in but Lennox Lewis for starters, forget about when they finally met where Tyson was shot to bits. Even if that fight happened around 96 Lewis still wins. There's a very good reason why the likes of Tyson (Around 95/96) and Bowe both ducked Lewis...they'd loose.

You haven't read my other posts, I have always posted Lewis as one of the best fighters in history, he was better than Tyson in my opinion although when both at their peak, Tyson would of turned him over.

Lewis was clever, he went into boxing for money and money alone, he didn't want or need the fame, he got the money he needed, gave stacks away and got out with great health.
    Living MY dream.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    NorvernRob wrote:
    jawooga wrote:

Check out the stats -

Golovkin (33-0 with 30 KOs) recorded his 20th-straight knockout Saturday, stopping Willie Monroe Jr. in the sixth round.

Golovkin owns the highest knockout percentage in middleweight title history at nearly 91 percent.

Lol come on, the guy has literally fought 5 or 6 people that anyone has heard of. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously talented and has a great amateur record, but he's absolutely nowhere near the best ever at the weight - he'd be lucky to make the top 20 at the moment.

If he knocks out Canelo, Froch, Ward - big names who would be real tests then he's getting there. He's staying busy but fighting powder puff punchers who he can just walk through until he KO's them isn't going to make him the P4P number 1.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    Froch should retire I don't see what he gains from beating Golovkin other than more money - he's at an age when getting out with his health intact should be more important. If he wanted one big fight then Andre Ward would surely be the one to finish on unless he's thinking Golovkin then Ward. I hope he hangs his gloves up though
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Did you see the demolition of David Lemieux by Gennady Golovkin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xyQURyY650

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Golovkin is the best fighter I have ever seen.
  • jawooga
    Thoughts on Kell Brook's chances this weekend?

Ingle has been giving it large about how he's been putting on muscle in the right areas, working with Sheffield University, he's retained his speed etc. Should be an interesting watch.

I hope he can trouble Golovkin. You always thought with Kahn v Alvarez, that he just had to catch him once with a big one (though I think Kahn was doing well until that point). Just hope Golovkin feels Brooks punches and isn't able to just bide his time.
  • jawooga
    Ding ding...
  • wise to throw the towel..
  • jawooga
    Yeah, tough call. But Brook was tiring quicker imo, and in the fifth Golovkin was prepared to go to the body more and mix it up, his best round by a long way. Having said that, Brook took a lot of good shots - could be a bona fide middle weight.
  • Brook brave but out of his depth. GGG deserves a better challenger.
  • Says he couldn't see straight after a fractured eye socket in the 2nd
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]