Chip on new Scott Foil frame

2»

Comments

• Be firm with the shop, the sale of goods act and distance selling are very good and in your favour.

Put it in writing that you wish to return the goods as faulty, it is really very simple.

Good luck.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Is this for real? :?:

Why did you not return it under the Sales of Goods Act? Why bother hearing the b*llsh*t from the shop owner when it is up to them to prove that it was not damaged when they sent it to you?!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Is this for real? :?:

Why did you not return it under the Sales of Goods Act? Why bother hearing the b*llsh*t from the shop owner when it is up to them to prove that it was not damaged when they sent it to you?!

I have to agree with this. The frame has clearly been touched up. They obviously didn't make it clear to you in the first instance that this was a showroom, ergo shop soiled bike. They asked for less clear pictures, presumably to con Scott, as clearly a touched up frame really isn't a warranty claim. And now it sounds like they're stringing you along saying it's being dealt with between themselves and Scott as a warranty issue.
    Meanwhile the clock's ticking and your opportunity to reject it under the sale of goods act is getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror as time passes.
    The shop sounds , for want of a better word, Dodgy.
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    The bike was the only one left in stock anywhere and in my size, so it wasn't simply a case of me returning it and ordering elsewhere.

I've never had to deal with a problem like this before so wasn't completely sure of my rights. How long do I have to return it? Obviously I have copies of emails I have sent saying that I want to return it unless a solution is found
  • Have you sought the advice of Scott UK yet?
  • primalcarl
    Scott responded to my email just to day they are already in communication with the bike shop and they hope to come to a solution soon
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    As the OP says, if you've got an end-of-season bargain it's not always a no-brainer to reject it out of hand if replacements/alternates aren't readily available. It's odd the touch-up seems to be under the clear-coat though (and that it seemingly wasn't sold by Scott to the shop as a second).
  • Your only problem might be finding another 2014 Team Issue frameset in your size, as I know they're fairly low on stock of these now, but then that's the shops problem to sort out.

So....do we get to find.out which shoddy shop you bought from then?
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    I bought a heavily discounted Scott Addict from Westbrook cycles. I had a few tiny chips on the rear paint stay. After contacting them they offered my 150 refund or a brand new replacement shipped at their cost, and collecting my frame at the same time the next day.

I took the new frame as the first scratch is the hardest! Couldn't be happier with the service. Well done Westbrook
  • Moldy
    Moldy Posts: 110
    Like I said in my first reply, you have the right to return this as faulty for a full refund. It is up to you to decide if you are happy with it. My Look had a tiny chip by the seatpost when I went to collect it. I agreed to accept it in return for free pedals, carbon bars and a respray over the winter. I would have been well within my rights to refuse it.

You have rights. Use them. If the shop are being difficult then simply take the bike back, ask to speak to the manager and stay there until they accept the return.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Fishboyz wrote:
    I bought a heavily discounted Scott Addict from Westbrook cycles. I had a few tiny chips on the rear paint stay. After contacting them they offered my 150 refund or a brand new replacement shipped at their cost, and collecting my frame at the same time the next day.

I took the new frame as the first scratch is the hardest! Couldn't be happier with the service. Well done Westbrook

I had a similar experience with Westbrook (on a Scott CR1SL). There was an imperfection in the frame, but a local Scott dealer had confirmed the issue wasn't structural. Anyways, Westbrook offered an replacement frame or money off. I took the money, which made an already great deal an amazing one in my eyes and dealt with the possible devaluing of the frame when I sell it on down the line. Brilliant customer service, and what you should rightfully expect from the shop you bought it from. That said, I understand you'd be gutted if it genuinely is the last bike in that spec - makes the decision to return all the harder...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • primalcarl
    Right I have have heard back from the owner of the bike shop:

'They have already replied and it is potentially good news. They don’t believe there is a carbon issue but they do think there is a warranty claim in respect of the paintwork and they are happy to replace the frameset. The only issue is that they won’t have a replacement until July. Given that the damage is not structural, they are more than happy for you to ride the frame you currently have until then. They will tell me when the new one is available, you then send yours to us, we send it to them and they then send out the replacement. I’ve attached a photo of this year’s Foil 10 bike – the frameset will be in the same colour.

If you could confirm that you are happy to proceed on this basis, I will confirm the order with the Warranty Department.'

I'm happy with that, means I can finally ride the bike and will get the frame replaced after July so will have to endure riding the winter bike for a while!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just get clarification as to who will transfer all the components over and at what price (presumably zero cost to you). Otherwise sounds like a good outcome.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • wishitwasallflat
    wishitwasallflat Posts: 2,927
    drlodge wrote:
    Just get clarification as to who will transfer all the components over and at what price (presumably zero cost to you). Otherwise sounds like a good outcome.

Agree but transfer the components over yourself and then this one might not get chipped when you fit the seat post :)