Chip on new Scott Foil frame

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
I received my new Scott Foil yesterday which I purchased online.

On installing the seat post I noticed there was something catching on my finger. It was a loose bit of carbon or paint on the edge of the frame, which subsequently flaked off. There's now a bit of a lip there.

I've contacted the shop with a photo but no response yet.

What would you do?

17330719285_e1b6f2e8ca.jpg

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I bought a TT bike from Canyon this year, the top tube had a few paint bubbles on it, obviously it's not what you want but the frame itself wasnt compromised. I spoke with Canyon and as a good will gesture they gave me a £50 voucher which suited me fine.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    See what they say but if it was mine I'd just carefully touch it up with a bit of black paint or nail varnish.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Think about when you sell it on; can you describe the frame as perfect? You would have to draw a buyer's attention to that chip, and knock off how much, £100?

You can buy cheap Chinese frames for a few hundred quid these days, so when you pay top dollar for a big brand, you kind of expect it to be perfect.

Personally I wouldn't accept it like that, and £50 wouldn't cut it for me.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Looks just like a bit of lacquer has came off. I wouldn't let it bother me personally and just get out there and ride it.
  • Origami02
    Origami02 Posts: 147
    I think it's very much a personal thing based of the balance of A) How much is it going to bother you... and B) How much of a battle would it be to get the shop to take it back.
    Either way, the decision to accept or reject the goods needs to be made before you build the bike up any further. It comes down to short term inconvenience versus potential long term dissatisfaction.
    Ideally they'll offer to replace it without quibble. If you've paid for something brand new, it's reasonable to expect it to be undamaged.
  • It'll bug you forever, send it back
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,090
    It'll bug you forever, send it back

Agree
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    As mentioned send it back I would not put up with that
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    That exposed carbon will act like a sponge in the wet and that'll be the end of that frame.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    That's pretty bad. you're going to be drawn to that everytime you look at what should be your new pride and joy.

The only reason I wouldn't demand a new frame is if they say they don't have a replacement frame and are willing to rectify the damage and compensate you appropriately.

It's gutting waiting and looking forward to something then being disappointed when it turns up. But don't compromise your expectations!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • primalcarl
    I've not had any response back yet which is a little concerning, as before I received the bike they responded to emails I sent very quickly. I will be giving them a call
  • Scott are very, very good re warranty. Hang tight and they'll send you a replacement frame out without quibble I'd imagine.

If you get no joy from the retailer you bought the frame, resend email and copy Scott UK in on the email.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bozman wrote:
    That exposed carbon will act like a sponge in the wet and that'll be the end of that frame.

:lol::lol: good one
  • primalcarl
    I finally got a reply. The shop says that the bike was in showroom condition when it left them, and that it looks like I've touched up the frame! I'm fuming.

Edit: Having just taken another photo, this time without seatpost, it does actually look like the seat tube area has been touched up in 2 places! Do you think this could have happened at the factory? I'm more concerned now!

20150502_1132541.jpg~original
  • No way.

Either you're dealing with a dodgy bike shop who's touched up a damaged frame and tried to sell it at full RRP rather than a second etc, or....I dunno.

Did you buy the bike fully built, or did you build it up yourself?

I'd be taking the matter up with Scott directly...

That's if you want to pursue it further. As others have already mentioned, it's nothing to worry about from a structural POV, but if you paid good money for a new frame, you expect new condition.

I trashed my Foil HMX earlier this year. The shop I bought it from were kind enough to do me a deal on an HMX Addict for £600. I noticed on receiving the frame that one of the decals on the seat tube is ever so slightly off centre. It doesn't bother me whatsoever, but it's probably why they offered me the frame at a stupid low price i.e. it's a slight "second", because of the decal :roll:
  • primalcarl
    edited May 2015
    Well the bike was a 2014 model with 30% off but there was no mention of it being anything other than brand new.

It came as a complete bike (in a Specialized box though) with just the usual wheel, seat post and bars to install
  • Origami02
    primalcarl wrote:
    Well the bike was a 2014 model with 30% off but there was mention of it being anything other than brand new.

It came as a complete bike (in a Specialized box though) with just the usual wheel, seat post and bars to install

That being the case, the shop would of had the bike out of the box to safety check it and do final adjustments. Most bikes are boxed at the factory needing these checks and adjustments by the retailer.
    Hence, they've either inspected it and missed the flaw, or damaged it themselves and sent it out hoping you'll not notice.
    What's the name of the retailer?
  • Moldy
    Moldy Posts: 110
    primalcarl wrote:
    I finally got a reply. The shop says that the bike was in showroom condition when it left them, and that it looks like I've touched up the frame! I'm fuming.

Edit: Having just taken another photo, this time without seatpost, it does actually look like the seat tube area has been touched up in 2 places! Do you think this could have happened at the factory? I'm more concerned now!

Bull.. Sale of goods act. They have to prove it wasn't like that when they sold it to you. I had a 2mm chip on my look when I brought it new. Said I wanted a full refund and eventually accepted free pedals, bars and a respray over the winter. Don't waste any more time. Tell them you are demanding a full refund or replacement under the sale of goods act 1979. If they so no go to your credit card company and start a section 75 claim with them. Plus shame the company on Facebook, twitter etc. sometimes helps.

Rob
  • primalcarl
    It really is strange. I'd only really noticed those black 'touched-up' areas since taking the photo. Looking at the frame, the black definitely looks like it's been touched up but the clearcoat on top of it is completely clear and unblemished and the same finish as the rest of the frame. So I don't understand how it could have been touched up and then clear-coated so well outside the factory? Really confusing!

I don't want to name the shop just yet until I've exhausted communication with them.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Your "contract" is with the shop you got it from. It does look like the seat post has been badly fitted when the bike was built up though - in the shop you got it from ?
  • Moldy
    I'm just saying that under the sale of goods act you don't need to continue communication with the shop beyond "it's not as described, therefore not fit for purpose and I would like an immediate refund/replacement." That's it. If they refuse, name, shame, credit card company section 75 claim and maybe small claims court if you didn't use a credit card. No more discussion needed if they're being that stupid about it. The law is on your side, first six months of purchase the burden of proof is on the seller to prove it was not in that condition when they sold it.

HTH

Rob
  • primalcarl wrote:
    I received my new Scott Foil yesterday

I think this is the key issue here. "New".

You've either been sent a shop soiled model, a demo, or whatever. The fact it arrived in a Specialized box would set alarm bells ringing for me.

I'd cut out the middle muppet and report this shop to Scott UK. Your "contract", doesn't necessarily lie solely with the retailer. I got a CR1 back in the day when they first came out. It had some minor cosmetic imperfections I wasn't happy with (laquer), and I contacted Scott directly for advice. I wasn't after a new frame, but they gave me a new Addict (first Gen), no questions asked. The shop I bought the CR1 didn't come into it. I picked up the new frame from a completely different dealer.
  • primalcarl
    Well it seemed like communication wasn't going anywhere earlier with the shop so I sent an email to Scott together with a photo.

Later today I heard again from the owner of the bike shop who suggested we go down the warranty route. I've responded and said I've already contacted Scott but he thinks it would be better if initiated and dealt with the warranty claim.

What concerns me is that he thinks my photos are 'too vivid', that they quite clearly show some touching up and he's asked if I can take some photos outside without flash. I don't know what to make of that, I have nothing to hide!
  • primalcarl wrote:
    Well it seemed like communication wasn't going anywhere earlier with the shop so I sent an email to Scott together with a photo.

Later today I heard again from the owner of the bike shop who suggested we go down the warranty route. I've responded and said I've already contacted Scott but he thinks it would be better if initiated and dealt with the warranty claim.

What concerns me is that he thinks my photos are 'too vivid', that they quite clearly show some touching up and he's asked if I can take some photos outside without flash. I don't know what to make of that, I have nothing to hide!

I'd imagine your LBS are currently woeing their previous stance now you've brought Scott UK into the equation...

Have you asked them why it came in a Specialized box?
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    primalcarl wrote:

I'd imagine your LBS are currently woeing their previous stance now you've brought Scott UK into the equation...

Have you asked them why it came in a Specialized box?

Exactly, the fact it came in a different box clearly says it isn't factory fresh. My Foil came in a completely sealed Scott box, I don't think the shop had even opened it to check.
  • Moldy
    primalcarl wrote:

DO NOT DO A WARRANTY CLAIM!

There is no warranty to claim on as you are not accepting the goods in the first place! You are returning them under the sale of goods act as they are not as described (new) and they are not fit for purpose. A warranty claim means you have accepted the bike from the shop and are now claiming against the manufacturer. The shop is trying to fob you off, you have no need to deal with Scott, your problem is solely with the person you paid, the shop.

Get your money back from the shop and let them take it up with Scott. All the shop is trying to do is pass the buck and let you do the legwork. Screw them. Buy from somewhere else.
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Purchased on line? No need to do any of that, Distance Selling Regs apply. Reject within 7 days for convenience.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    primalcarl wrote:

If you take a close up pic with a flash, it tends to show any imperfections much more 'vividly' than in natural light and makes them look worse than they really are. It would be interesting to see a pic taken in natural light conditions as suggested.

P.S. I am not siding with the bike shop here, before anybody bleats.
  • Origami02
    primalcarl wrote:

It think there are possibly clues here in their description "Showroom condition", and the fact that they'd apparently lost the original Scott box. It's possible that rather than a brand new bike, they've sold you one that's sat on their shop floor for a while. If that is the case it should be sold as "shop soiled" not Brand New.
    As such, it may well have had several seat post adjustments for prospective purchasers to try it for size, in the showroom. I'm not suggesting it's actually been ridden.
    If something was damaged and touched up as a result of such adjustment, it may have never even been pointed out to the shop owner himself at the time or even have been long since forgotten as, potentially, the bike could have been there for 12 months or more. How vivid or not the photo is, is pretty irrelevant. Having seen the defect with the naked eye, you are in are in the best position to reject or accept the goods.
    The shop don't sound as though they're being very straight forward or even particularly helpful. I think naming (not necessarily shaming the shop) would be useful as it allows others to give useful feedback on the shop itself, if it's one that they have dealt with.
    For instance, if you said it was someone -for arguments sake- like Westbrook Cycles, my reaction would be that you have nothing to worry about, as it'll be sorted fairly. I bought a bike from them with a tiny imperfection on the top tube. They asked for a photo, I sent one and they straight away offered to replace the bike. At the end of the day you have to trust your gut reaction as to whether you feel you're being dealt with fairly or not.
  • primalcarl
    Scott are currently dealing with this in conjunction with the bike shop.

Apparently the bike was on display but hung up near the ceiling so was out of harms way. They didn't hang onto the original box.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they come back with some good news, otherwise I will most likely be returning the bike