Fred Whitton 2015 event thread.

Comments

• plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    jason78 wrote:
    What are the chances of me rocking up and paying on the day?
    I can't imagine everyone who's paid will go if the weather turns for the worse :shock:

I would say no chance bearing in mind they make everyone who has entered bring photo ID to make sure no one is riding in their place. Nowt to stop you just riding on public roads though.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    jason78 wrote:
    What are the chances of me rocking up and paying on the day?
    I can't imagine everyone who's paid will go if the weather turns for the worse :shock:

None whatsoever.
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    Forecast is improving every time I look....
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,241
    I daren't look...

Ok maybe I'm peeking every so often.

Today's purchases included Butt'r, overshoes and some mule bars.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • plodder73
    I'm struggling to carry all the food I think I might need as well as fitting a small rain jacket, in my pockets. Are the feed stations well stocked, if do with what ? I'm crapping myself, it was so much easier when the forecast was crap and I had an excuse not to do it. This will probably be the first time I've ever stopped on a hill.
  • homers_double
    They're supposed to be pretty well stocked, I'm talking 7/8 bars on the route and aiming for one every hour. Burning 600 cals an hour and taking on about 250-300 plus the feed stations.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Feed stops are really well stocked. Loads of bananas, flapjack, malt loaf and savoury stuff as well. You won't be disappointed unless you're fussy with food.

Don't go mental carrying loads of food, just enough to fill the gaps between the two feed stops.

Forecast is indeed looking much better than earlier in the week. Looking like heavy rain is coming in the afternoon so an early start should ensure a mostly dry ride. I'm taking all my wet kit just incase the forecast changes last minute, but at the moment I'll be wearing roubaix bib shorts, possibly knee warmers, vest, jersey and gilet, with a waterproof jacket in my pocket. Maybe some toe warmers depending on temperature.
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    I must be getting more confident... I've started thinking about which pub to go to Sunday evening :)

I'm also thinking an early start is a good idea as wind is supposed to get stronger as day goes on. Also taking loads of gear and deciding in morning what to take. Good advice about food Nammynake - cheers.
    Nerves are still there but looking forward to it - I think.

• ...and I'll be Marshalling at Elterwater Common, about a mile or so later (I have been given 11.30-5pm as my time), so please a big grin for a short baldy ginger beardy bloke.

I'll be marshalling at the Brittannia Inn at Elterwater and cheering all the riders on as well. Look out for a short lass with gingery blond hair.
    Good advice above from nammy - especially about the first feedstop being at the foot of a fairly tough climb. I'd also add that the last feed stop at Calder Bridge is about 8 miles from Hardknott, so take advantage and stock up.

Indeed. I knew I wouldn't want to eat just before Newlands so took a sandwich bag with me last year. My plan was to stick a butty in it at the first feed and eat it a bit later. Didn't end up bothering though as the feed station was really busy and I was stressed about the timing cut off, needlessly as it happened as I got there in plenty of time.

My tip is Kendal Mint Cake at the head of the Esk Valley. I had a bit there, a bit at the start of Hardknott and managed to ride the whole thing! I'd tried it a few times previously and always ended up pushing some of it so I attribute my success to the mint cake (and the amazing tail wind that blew me up the final ramp).
    Small fat weak punter
  • homers_double
    Car is packed, cakes are made and I'm almost set for a 12.30 depart this afternoon.

See you all there!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Car is packed, cakes are made and I'm almost set for a 12.30 depart this afternoon.

See you all there!

heading up at 1:45, bags packed, arse twitching :shock:

Good luck to everyone riding.
  • plodder73
    I'm proper panicking now. 3.30 am get up for me.

Advice on what to wear, proper showerproof jacket or lightweight packable jacket?
    Leg warmers or bib tight?
    Good luck all
  • Starting to pack everything into the car, ready for the 5:15am drive up there tomorrow. The weather looks like it's not going to be as bad as originally forecast at the beginning of the week thank god. 7 degrees at the start rising to 12 in the afternoon with the odd rain showers passing through. We should be all finished before the main band of rain comes through. The increasing southerly wind will make cold fell intresting :cry: But then it's the Lake District and after coming up here for years mtb'ing I know this forecast can go completely out of the window by morning !
    So taking all that on board, what am I going to wear ? Well after changing my mind God knows how many times this week I'm settling on a winter baselayar with my castillie alpha jersey, bibs shorts, full finger gloves and overshoes. The jersey will cope with the odd shower and is wind proof but I'm having my wife meet me at the top of whinlatter so if I need to change into anything I can. Looking forward to it now, well apart from cold fell, with the wind they're forecasting it ain't going to be pleasant :evil:
  • nammynake
    Car packed and setting off from Leeds soon - will register today then head to the YHA.

I've packed far too much kit, but figured I'll decide what to wear in the morning after looking out of the window. Will probably go for bib shorts (roubaix), base layer and jersey, possibly Gabba underneath, waterproof jacket in the back pocket, toe covers.

Don't mind getting a bit wet towards the end. Suspect there'll be a few isolated ones during the day but looks like the heavy persistent stuff is not arriving until evening.

Cold Fell will be interesting as ever with the wind.
  • plodder73
    Where the bloody hell is cold fell? That isn't on my list of things to be crapping myself about.
  • plodder73
    Bollocks just spotted it 78.5 miles, great!
  • Don't worry too much about cold fell its a long southerly stretch that's pretty exposed, but no great hills to speak of, just get in a pack and share the load. I've Just checked Metcheck and it's basically light showers with light northerly wind picking up more in the late afternoon. Good luck all stay safe and remember it's a great day out on the bike
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    Registered this aft and settled in at Skelwith fold caravan site. Very nervous for some reason, hope I get a little sleep. Will decide in morning on clothing. Good luck all.

Steve.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    mmmm heavy rain up to 10am. Great... :roll:
  • nammynake
    Well that was thoroughly unpleasant! Cold Fell was even more disgustingly exposed than normal. Grovelled round in 7:30 but happy with that given the conditions.

Well done to anyone who completed the ride today. Toughest in the last 4 years IMO.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    I conquered Hardknott Pass, I conquered Hardknott Pass! :)
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Done the Fred 4 times now and those were definitely the hardest conditions - I include the 2013 hypothermia fest in that - oh man that headwind/cross wind section was just brutal. My hope for a sub 7 was never going to happen in that - got 7.12 and don't think I could have done much more today. One thing - I wish they wouldn't put a 10 miles to go sign 14 miles from the finish - false hope I might sneak in around 7ish meant I absolutely caned what I thought was the last 5 miles, emptied the tank, and then a mile after I thought we should have finished a marshall shouts only 3 miles to go!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Cold Fell lived up to its name all right. And on Hardknotts, the emphasis was all on the first syllable. Got round in 7.43 which I was pretty happy with for my first crack at it. I did think those last "10 miles" seemed painfully long!

A big thank you for all the hard work from the marshalls and support from spectators out there in utterly miserable conditions. Really made a big difference.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Done the Fred 4 times now and those were definitely the hardest conditions - I include the 2013 hypothermia fest in that - oh man that headwind/cross wind section was just brutal. My hope for a sub 7 was never going to happen in that - got 7.12 and don't think I could have done much more today. One thing - I wish they wouldn't put a 10 miles to go sign 14 miles from the finish - false hope I might sneak in around 7ish meant I absolutely caned what I thought was the last 5 miles, emptied the tank, and then a mile after I thought we should have finished a marshall shouts only 3 miles to go!

I dont think it was as bad as 2013 the temperature then got to 3C with biblical rain today it was around 10C and I didnt think the wind that bad really I didn't need a rain jacket and did it in a jersey. No way I could have done it in a jersey in 2013.

I did the same with the signs and the legs were gone at 3 miles. Said 5 miles at langdale when it was 8.
  • A big thank you for all the hard work from the marshalls and support from spectators out there in utterly miserable conditions. Really made a big difference.
    This +10000 incredible support. The Locals really take on the Fred. At times I felt that I was in a grand tour :D
    The conditions was bloody awful today. The general consensus was the times where 20-30mins down on last year. Cold fell was horrible, block headwind all the way. For me I was on my jack jones so was v v grim. By the time I'd got top hardknott I'd blown my doors off and id gone past caring. Got round in 6hrs 42mins, coming in at joint 34th.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    A big thank you for all the hard work from the marshalls and support from spectators out there in utterly miserable conditions. Really made a big difference.
    This +10000 incredible support. The Locals really take on the Fred. At times I felt that I was in a grand tour :D
    The conditions was bloody awful today. The general consensus was the times where 20-30mins down on last year. Cold fell was horrible, block headwind all the way. For me I was on my jack jones so was v v grim. By the time I'd got top hardknott I'd blown my doors off and id gone past caring. Got round in 6hrs 42mins, coming in at joint 34th.

First time Marshalling any event for me yesterday, and a bit of a baptism of fire! I was stationed at the Elterwater Common junction, where the '5 Miles to go' sign was - I took it as read that it WAS 5 miles, although those signs were put there by the organisers so I have no evidence to back it up.
    I arrived (10.30) about an hour before I should have done really, and then it was still another hour before the first rider turned up at about 12.30, but after that it was a constant stream all afternoon of grimacing, smiling and laughing, so good on you all for the brave faces! And with only a few exceptions everyone thanked us, which made it that much better.
    I'm glad I didn't have to go round in that miserable weather - standing out in it was bad enough. The times that people are posting on here are excellent though, something for someone like me to only dream of - I'm over 8 hours at best. I see the best time was under 6 hours this year. That is truly phenomenal.

So are we all on for next year then?
  • To Lakesludite from all of us - A big Thankyou to yourself and all the marshals.. You guys n gals did a fantastic job and even at the busy junctions I didn't have to slow down. Tried my best to nod and say thanks to you all, but sometimes I'd just retreated to a happy place to keep my sanity and had my head down dreaming of daft things like a hot coffee and a dry pair of shorts so my ass wouldn't chaff so much. Enjoyed the day and as the sour bits (cold fell - 4th time over it and never had it so windy) disappear into the either I might contemplate trying to break 8 hours. 8.01 this year couldn't have gone any faster as the tank wasn't just empty but, full of lactic.. Great day, great atmosphere especially at Winlatter - See you next year Fred <maybe>
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I quite enjoyed it. Got round in 7hr50.

Nearly wanted to giveup at whinlatter as i was tired of the conditions and mentally in a heap.

Managed to pull myself around and rode cold fell on my own, no one wanted to help me it seemed, just sit on my wheel.

I rode hardknott and wynrose, and then sprinted the last 15 miles back. I had tonnes of energy after wynrose and was overtaking people left right and centre.

Good ride, hard conditions, never again.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    I rode 2013 and yesterday and didn't think it was as bad this year. In 2013 my left hand froze so I could only change gear with my right hand. This year Calder bridge was busy with people queueing for sandwiches, in 2013 it was like the aftermath of a biblical disaster. Maybe the difference was that in 2013 the bad weather was late in the day and this year it was early.
    I had 3 punctures and had to get a new tyre from neutral service (great guys), on cold fell but rode Honister and (almost) all of Hardknott. My excuse was I couldn't ride part of the the steep bit as there was a car stuck on it. Very grateful to the 2 girls who gave me a push off after I stopped for a rest and the lady with the track pump who helped me fix one of my many punctures on Whinlatter.

Awesome day but I think I'll try some slightly less masochistic rides now.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    I can't argue but for me yesterday took a lot more out of my legs. 2013 was probably as bad on Cold Fell - colder but less headwind - but yesterday the headwind seemed to be constant from Whinlatter to the second feed. I did stick a rain jacket on in 2013 whereas yesterday it stayed in my pocket
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]