Fred Whitton 2015 event thread.

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,241
I know there are a few threads lingering about relating to bike choice and entry failures but assuming we've now got past those, who's in? Whos driving what? Who's riding what? ETC ETC...

There are two of us, we'll be in my Black NIssan Navara, I'm on a black Allez and my mate on a white Forme.
We're aiming to set off at the ealrliest time possible so around 6-6.30am with the goal being to get round in one piece.

We're registering on the Saturday afternoon and then heading over to our camp site at the YHA at Hawkshead for the night, sleeping in one of those wooden pod thingies and having a bit of a BBQ.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Sounds like you're excited?
  • homers_double
    Apart from a closed roads even in Manchester it's the first real road event I've ridden so yes, looking forward to it.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Fingers crossed it's nice weather; otherwise it could be the worst day you'll ever have on the bike ;-)
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I'm marshalling at Colwith, just after Little Langdale at around the 100 mile point. I'll hopefully see you there!
    I've been told to expect riders between 11 and 5 at this point.
  • I'll be there riding a White Sensa Romagna. Second time for me, rode it last year and really enjoyed it. Driving up from Lancashire on the Sunday morning so won't be setting off on the course until 7:30. Hoping to beat my time from last year but as said above it's so weather dependant.
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Did it in 2013.

I really am hoping that I can get under 7.30 and close to 7hrs. If it's your first time up here please don't be a numpty and dress like its 25C in August. Otherwise you'll be the one at Calder Bridge in the back of an ambulance wrapped in a foil blanket. It's not that hard an event but the weather does make a difference up there at this time of the year. Expect anything from sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, cold, and heat you'll probably get all those in one ride.

'If' it is a bad forecast my tip is make sure you have a bike that isn't going to break. I see far too many setting off with worn tyres and a clunking chainset and wonder why they get a puncture or the chain or deraileur breaks. And take some spare clothes glove liners arm/leg warmers/buffs and some comfort food.

If weather is good i'll be setting off about 8am that way you can chase onto a group important if you want a good time.
  • I'm a FW virgin, riding Trek domane 4.5 (2015), my first ''proper'' road bike. Trained pretty hard for it including a couple of hilly 100 milers. Probably set off 7 ish, main aim is just to get round, not sure of time with being new to it but would certainly like to be under 10 hours. I'll be in my silver motorhome and will register Sat afternoon. Staying at Skelwith fold campsite. Quite confident I'll get round but certainly not complacent, ready for a hard day in the saddle.

Steve.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    This will be my fourth (in a row) Fred. Driving up from Leeds on Saturday and staying in the Langdale YHA just a couple of miles out of Grasmere.

Haven't decided on start time - will see what the weather forecast is for the day and work around that. I really hope the weather is kind this year. Last year was OK apart from a few showers but 2013 was hell. I learned a lot that day about what [not] to wear on the bike!

If the weather is decent I'm going to try to get under 7 hours, but will need to work out pacing and keep stops to a minimum. Rode a Specialized Allez with guards the past 2 years, but I'll be taking my Canyon CF SL this time unless the forecast is for persistent rain. Hoping that a kilo or two less mass will help on the steep stuff.
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    Another FW virgin here, though no stranger to riding in the Lakes. Will be on my grey/black Synapse and in my grey Yeti. Aim is just to get round, anything else will be a bonus.
  • homers_double
    Overlord2 wrote:

I really am hoping that I can get under 7.30 and close to 7hrs. If it's your first time up here please don't be a numpty and dress like its 25C in August. Otherwise you'll be the one at Calder Bridge in the back of an ambulance wrapped in a foil blanket. It's not that hard an event but the weather does make a difference up there at this time of the year. Expect anything from sun, wind, rain, snow, hail, cold, and heat you'll probably get all those in one ride.

The boot of my truck will look like a sale rack at Evans and contain almost every item of cycling clothing I own.

I'll make a decision on layering etc on the day.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    First time for me, crapping myself, not done enough training due to illness. If it's bad weather I'm staying in bed otherwise going up Sunday morning to register at about 6.30, hopefully depending on queues set off about 7.

Will be riding either Scott solace or Rose SL Pro, both with 32 cassette on the back. 10 hours I will be happy with.

What are the queues like fir registering in the morning?
  • driving up from Manchester, not sure of what time, depends how much i drink the night before <hic>, went up last weekend and did the lakeland loop sportive, 2 degree's setting off at 8.30 in shorts and windproof t-shirt with base layer so shivering whilst waiting for the off, sweating like mad by 11am. did the 70 miles in 4.30hr, but didn't have a lot left in the tank so plan on setting off and going easy and just enjoying the atmosphere. Note to self to not jump on every fast group passing. As long as I get around I'll be happy. Cycled Hardnott many times and have a love hate relationship, hate cycling up it, love getting to the top without walking. Will be carrying a waterproof pocket jacket, a 2nd base layer and some petrol station gloves as i've never owned a pair that are completely waterproof for more than an hour and they cost nothing. Good luck, stay focused on the downhills, take extra care riding in a group as there's a lot of people who are novice at it and hit the breaks a little to quickly and don't drop your empty gel wrappers on the ground. Good luck on the steep hills and if you gotta walk (i might be one of them) stay to one side so people pedalling can pass by.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I'm going. First time for me also, rider number 800. Aiming for under 10 hrs, ideally about 8. I feel like im totally under trained, but i mamaged a 110mile ride a month back over some hills on the wimter bike which has a 39-25. A 34-28 as my lowest gear should hopefully get me up hardknott all being well.

Staying in a tent Saturday night, amd hopefully goinf to start as early.as.possible on the sunday.

I'm pretty nervous, especially as I've got sponsership from all my mates and work Colleagues.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    A few tips that I've picked up riding the Fred the past 3 years:

1. Pay close attention to the weather forecast and dress appropriately. If it's raining, the wind-chill going over Cold Fell can be pretty bad (as in the 2013 event). I'd much rather carry a slightly bulky rain jacket than risk taking something light without sufficient protection.

2. Try to pace the early climbs. You'll be feeling really fresh are raring to go, but your legs will thank you later if you reserve some energy for Hardknott.

3. Get into a group on the long flat section towards and through Keswick (but take your turn on the front if you're feeling fresh). The A66 section is pretty open to the wind so save your energy for Honister.

4. Be careful on the descents. Even if you're competent descender, you'll be riding in close proximity to inexperienced riders, so give everyone enough space and expect the unexpected. There are some nasty corners which catch out riders every year.

5. Be cheery with the marshalls. They are all volunteers and stand in the same spot for hours on end. A cheery wave or simple "thanks" is really appreciated.

6. If you want a decent time, don't fanny about at the feed stops. Fill your bottle, scoff a banana or whatever and get cracking. It's easy to spend 20 minutes pottering about, which can add a big chunk onto your time if you repeat this at the second feed stop. You won't benefit from 'resting' for that amount of time, and if anything your muscles will cool down which could hamper you until you've warmed up again. Note that the first feed stop is IMMEDIATELY before Newlands Pass. This is a pretty tough climb and you wouldn't want to tackle it with cold muscles. Also note that the queue for toilets can be long at the feed stops, so maybe find a suitable hedge before/after.

7. Hardknott - this has reached almost mythical status for those new to the Fred Whitton. Yes it's a very very tough climb, but try not to be intimidated by it. It doesn't help that you can see it looking in the distance as you approach along the valley floor, but keep your legs spinning easily so they're not loaded with lactic acid before you start. It's really two climbs, interlinked with a very gradual incline where you can get your breath back. So tackle it in two sections. Focus on getting up the first bit by sitting in your lowest gear and alternate in/out of the saddle if you're able. Note that on the steepest corners your front wheel may lift off the ground so try to get a good balanced position if seated. Keep spinning that easy gear on the gentle bit and try to bring your heart rate down before you reach the final section. This is the steepest section and where the photographer cruelly awaits. Get your 'relaxed' face on and out of the saddle to attack this short stretch. Once you're over this it's still a few hundred meters to the summit so again pace yourself. If you have to dismount and walk (many do) then please keep to the edge of the road and be aware of riders coming back (probably not much faster!). If you're completely done in, then wait a minute or two at the top before descending to get your breath back.

8. Wrynose is the last serious climbs, and while it's not as savage as Hardknott it's still very tough. The decent of Wrynose is pretty sketchy and VERY fast towards the bottom, so again please take care and be aware of vehicles ascending.

9. If you're still feeling fresh after Wrynose then now's your time to dig in and TT to the finish.

10. Finally, enjoy it. It's a unique event and the support from volunteer marshalls and members of the public is fantastic. They come out in spades even when it's raining! If it's not p*ssing down then soak up the scenery - if you've not been the Lakes before it's a stunning place.

If anyone has questions just shout - I'll try to help where I can !
  • Some sound advice there nammy, I particular like the bit about feeling fresh after wynrose! I probably won't be feeling too fresh after Kirkstone, but there's always hope even if its little and No.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Some great info here guys thank you. Just a quick question from me. Again it's my first FWC also. Was wondering if anyone here has ridden up Bwlch-y-Groes in Wales? That's the hardest climb I've done so far and I've done it 3times (I said after the first I'd never do it again!) So basically how do the climbs in the FW compare to that?

Cheers
    Mat
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    vfast1 wrote:
    Some great info here guys thank you. Just a quick question from me. Again it's my first FWC also. Was wondering if anyone here has ridden up Bwlch-y-Groes in Wales? That's the hardest climb I've done so far and I've done it 3times (I said after the first I'd never do it again!) So basically how do the climbs in the FW compare to that?

Cheers
    Mat

Bwlch is harder than them all except for Hardknott - between those two I'd say they are in the same kind of ballpark re difficulty though I'd say Hardknott probably edges it. From memory Bwlch is a more continuously steep gradient whereas Hardknott does ease off a bit in the middle - though it's never felt like it eases off as much as some say it does.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • This is my first FW and I am excited about it.

I did the Dragon Ride a couple of years ago but gather the FW is a taller order. Having read all the stories about 2013 I am really keeping my fingers crossed about the weather.

Have trained fairly consistently so far this year, although I've not managed to shed quite as much weight as I wanted. I live in Oxford, where there aren't any big hills, but I've done a lot of reps on the Chiltern ramps like Whiteleaf and Kop Hill. Did a big Cotswold round on Sat, including Bushcombe Lane on Cleeve Hill, wish I'd got out there before as it's properly steep.

Just lowered my gearing to 34/30. Looking to get round in one piece.

Am staying over nearby but want to try to join a group for the A66 stretch so was thinking of setting off at 7ish, weather depending of course.

See you there-- hope you all have a great ride!
  • tubaonwheels
    tubaonwheels Posts: 448
    Did the Great Dun Fell sportive on Sunday in horrible weather.... and I was seriously under dressed! Lesson learned. Hope it's not going to be that bad next Sunday! Already decided to set off a tad earlier as my intention now is to try and enjoy it and not think about 'a time'.

Steve.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    OwenB wrote:
    I'm marshalling at Colwith, just after Little Langdale at around the 100 mile point. I'll hopefully see you there!
    I've been told to expect riders between 11 and 5 at this point.

...and I'll be Marshalling at Elterwater Common, about a mile or so later (I have been given 11.30-5pm as my time), so please a big grin for a short baldy ginger beardy bloke.

Good advice above from nammy - especially about the first feedstop being at the foot of a fairly tough climb. I'd also add that the last feed stop at Calder Bridge is about 8 miles from Hardknott, so take advantage and stock up.

Sorry to say the forecast aint great, but then there's plenty of time for it to change, let's hope so.

Good luck, stay safe, enjoy the ride.
  • plodder73
    The forecast has gone from good to bad on the BBC weather site. I need to find some good forecasts or else I will be staying in bed and thinking of you all.
  • pigeontoes
    pigeontoes Posts: 73
    Accuweather and the Weather Channel have good forecasts, so I'm going to believe them, already packed my sun tan lotion.
  • pgmabley
    pgmabley Posts: 107
    What's everyone's experience with the 12 midday time limit at 60 miles, especially as it's after the first feed station?

I'm thinking a couple of punctures in the group (4 of us), the climbs and possible wind/poor weather could make this quite a challenge.
  • plodder73
    Well I'm setting off at 7-7.30, should get there ok. What do they do if you don't make it, they can't actually stop you riding, and I won't be stopping.If I've made the effort to get there I'm doing the full course even if I'm the last man out. I suppose all they can do is not record your time. What exactly is the reason for the cut off time? I'm guessing do volunteers can go home in reasonable time, which is fair enough.
  • pgmabley
    That's the thought I'd had, basically we'll carry on and time for ourselves using the garmin if that ends up being the case, setting off at 6am so hopefully not an issue.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Met office showing less rain now, on the flip side it's also showing 40mph gusts in Kendal which I guess translates to a bit breezy up on the tops!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Good luck.
    I'm going to have more fun by taking my pogo-stick down the beach with a bag of rocks on my back.
  • pgmabley
    40mph tailwind up Hardknott I can live with, just got to get there into the wind :lol:
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Met office showing less rain now, on the flip side it's also showing 40mph gusts in Kendal which I guess translates to a bit breezy up on the tops!

The sunday forecast for Ambleside on the BBC shows no significant rain until after 5pm, so it's looking a bit better (it's sunny here now - although it was bucketing it down until about noon!). I'm always a bit weary of the BBC weather, especially the App - it tends towards the pesimistic slant. We were in Eskdale last week and the forecast for the week was grotty, but we hardly saw any rain at all.

I would be surprised if there was no rain at all on the route - it does cover pretty much all the four corners of the National Park, so there's bound to be pockets here and there.

(Sun's gone in now :( )
  • jason78
    jason78 Posts: 158
    What are the chances of me rocking up and paying on the day?
    I can't imagine everyone who's paid will go if the weather turns for the worse :shock:
    2010 Cboardman carbon pro--- gone to pastures new
    Ribble Addax winter with sram force
    2012 Scott Cr1 SL ----in process of being built 2018 MOVED ON
    Stork Visioner ---Current steed