Embankment, the end of an era?

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited August 2015
    It'll be full of pedestrians looking at their phones. Enjoy!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It will be too busy for peds I think, but I fully intend to use the road.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Does anyone want to the share their alternatives from Blackfriars > South of the river towards Richmond Park? What are the best/quickest/safest routes around Waterloo. A3205/CS8 superhighway OK?
    Blackfriars -> Stamford St -> York Rd -> Lambeth Palace Rd -> Lambeth Bridge. Shorter and quicker than the pre-road-works Embankment, albeit less fun. Better than any of the alternatives I tried (eg The Cut), been doing it for a few months now.

I found CS8 to be miserable compared with Albert Embankment, but ymmv; no harm in trying it.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Got to say, with the sliproad from Blackfriars onto the Embankment now closed I'm quite enjoying crossing at Blackfriars Bridge and traveling on the south of the river, apart from the occasional angry WVM in a rush to join the next queue of traffic. Much quieter generally with free-flowing traffic and no suicidal peds like there are around Parliament. Perhaps not quite the same smooth, fast-moving expanses of tarmac to get up to silly speeds but it feels a lot less stop-start than Embankment and new Embankment doesn't offer that anyway, apart from Millbank area.