which quality bibshorts?

2»

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I've got a pair of Orhis, I do like them and the quality and fit is great but the pad isn't as comfortable as my Castelli Progetti x 2 pair. I was going to try some Assos ne4xt but I'm tempted by those Pactimo ones.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    handful wrote:
    I've got a pair of Orhis, I do like them and the quality and fit is great but the pad isn't as comfortable as my Castelli Progetti x 2 pair. I was going to try some Assos ne4xt but I'm tempted by those Pactimo ones.

So that goes to show, IMHO, that the shape of your ar$e is somewhat important in this matter. On that basis the advice to visit a shop and try them on is good or alternatively you takes a chance and buy something online and hope it is comfy.

In all reality the comfort factor doesn't become apparent until you've done a 50 miler and are happy with the fit. I am not aware of many shops which will allow a 50 mile test ride whilst going commando in apair of their shorts.

That said there doesn't seem to be any shortage of people who are willing to buy used, 2nd hand bib shorts worn by strangers and sold in the BikeRadar Classifieds section (not me though).
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Navrig2 wrote:
    handful wrote:

So that goes to show, IMHO, that the shape of your ar$e is somewhat important in this matter. On that basis the advice to visit a shop and try them on is good or alternatively you takes a chance and buy something online and hope it is comfy.

In all reality the comfort factor doesn't become apparent until you've done a 50 miler and are happy with the fit. I am not aware of many shops which will allow a 50 mile test ride whilst going commando in apair of their shorts.
    Although I am not a Rapha fanboy, this is one ting they do get right, they allow you a 30 day test of their Classic bib shorts, which I thinkthat all premium brands should offer for the prices they charge.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    stevie63 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    handful wrote:

Although I am not a Rapha fanboy, this is one ting they do get right, they allow you a 30 day test of their Classic bib shorts, which I thinkthat all premium brands should offer for the prices they charge.

Didn't know that.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    RyanB wrote:
    I'm currently a big fan of Pactimo Raptors (£130). I've had Assos, Castelli, Shutt VR etc, but find these a stunningly comfortable bibshort/chamois for all day wear. Top notch quality. They sit slightly longer in the leg than Assos, but size similar otherwise. I prefer these over any of them.

If anyone fancies trying a pair of these, if you visit this blog https://skinnysaddle.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/first-impressions-pactimo-raptor-bib-shorts/ and message Greg who seems like a top bloke, he is a Brand Ambassador for Pactimo and will give you a code for a 30% discount which takes the Raptors down to £87.50. I've just ordered a pair so count vouch for the quality yet but they do seem very good quality and have a repair service as well a bit like Assos. The code didn't work for the UK site when I tried it first but does now after Greg spoke to Pactimo, like I said, top bloke.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    drlodge wrote:
    Up to £100 budget: Endura FS 260 Pro

That. Great pad, good shape (for me), very durable and very, very comfortable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris