which quality bibshorts?

skeff10
skeff10 Posts: 93
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Budget around £100 approx. Looking at assos or rapha 2nd hand or something different new like shutt/pactimo or ale. Got some castelli's so looking at something else.
all advice appreciated

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Second hand bibs shorts
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    Can't comment on the others but I love my Assos bibs.
    Might be worth looking at http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Always, always liked Castelli kit. Until I fell off and got no support from Castelli in getting the hole in my rather expensive winter jacket patched. Gore approved repairer would not touch it. And that was 15 months ago and it still irks me now.

So in my view and providing it is the right fit, invest a few £££ more and buy Assos, for the 'free' repair service. 'Free' because you have to pay the postage, which is fair enough.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Rapha bibs. Pad is excellent, after sales service is excellent, they last.

Cost a bit more than your budget but I think it's money well spent.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Up to £100 budget: Endura FS 260 Pro
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    i'm sitting here in my fresh from the box assos s7 equipe. they're stunning!

get the new s7 uno. they're around £100
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    You can sometimes find these below £100. Very comfy.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/etxeondo-orhi-bib-shorts/
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Sportful Total Comfort can sometimes be found about that price
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I've recently bought some Prendas Santini Edge. NAT gel pad as used by orica green edge pro team, they are excellent and only £85.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-edge-nat-bibshorts.html
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Navrig2 wrote:

+ 1, although I've not tried some of the other brands mentioned.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If you can find Assos at that price (perfectly possible) that's your safest bet. Recently tried Rapha Pro Team and I like those too but I don't know if you'll find them at your budget as supply sources are far more limited.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Scoobers wrote:
    Can't comment on the others but I love my Assos bibs.
    Might be worth looking at http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/

I think this is a good suggestion. They are selling the F1 Uno S5 bibshorts in all sizes for £97.49, so right on your budget. I've got two pairs of these. Different shorts suit different people. But I find these very comfortable for day rides and multi-day tours. They fit me really well and the pad is supportive but not obtrusive.
  • skeff10
    Cheers fellas. suggestions really appreciated, think I,m going assos but still open to ideas
  • skeff10
    Assos size by height, I,m a 34 inch waist but only 1.75m tall. Do I buy a large even though they quote for a taller size Or go medium?
    guess I,mm asking if height is more important than waist when buying bibshorts?
  • t4tomo
    skeff10 wrote:
    Assos size by height, I,m a 34 inch waist but only 1.75m tall. Do I buy a large even though they quote for a taller size Or go medium?
    Yes waist size is irreverent, height is key, but chunkyness of legs could be a factor. Hence you never get a consensus of which brand is best as some brands "fit" suit certain body shapes. Pity it costs £80-£150 a time to work out which suits you!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I know it's a bit of a left field suggestion, but how about going into one of those shop places and trying a few on?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    skeff10 wrote:

I'm 5ft 10in and 33in waist. Medium is good tightish fit in Assos F1 Uno. I had previously bought a large, going on the Assos chart recommendation, but found it was a bit too loose in the crotch.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    robbo2011 wrote:
    I know it's a bit of a left field suggestion, but how about going into one of those shop places and trying a few on?

Which ones? I have no less than 8 bike shops where I work, including an Evans. I can't try on Rapha, Assos, Etxeondo in any of them. Or Santini. I can probably find a lot of Altura mind. And Endura. Or get Evans to order some in (which I would have to pay for).

Or order a load from Wiggle using paypal pay in 14 days. Try on. Return a load using Collect +. Sorted.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • robbo2011
    Well I don't know what it is like everywhere, but the last time I was in the UK (christmas time), the local bike shop near where my folks live (Swindon of all places), had the entire Assos range as well as some other decent brands (can't remember which) to try on so I am sure that possibilities exist somewhere for most people. I bought some gear there as a matter of fact.

I did say it was a left field suggestion.
  • t4tomo
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Well I don't know what it is like everywhere, but the last time I was in the UK (christmas time), the local bike shop near where my folks live (Swindon of all places), had the entire Assos range as well as some other decent brands (can't remember which) to try on so I am sure that possibilities exist somewhere for most people. I bought some gear there as a matter of fact.

I did say it was a left field suggestion.
    Sorry but I need a far bigger incentive than the chance of trying on some overpriced Assos bibs and a cup of tea with your mum to go anywhere near Swindon. It's a dump.:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • robbo2011
    It certainly takes a bit of getting used to when coming from beautiful Swiss countryside, I can tell you.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    t4tomo wrote:
    Yes waist size is irreverent, height is key,

I find it completely the opposite. I come up as a large when it comes to height, XS/S around the waist. I initially bought bibs based on height, but found that they were too loose around the waist and hips, and the pad wouln't stay in place. Small bibs, on the other hand, everything stays where it should and there is plenty of stretch in the shoulder straps to accommodate my height.
  • Navrig2 wrote:

Another vote for these
  • skeff10
    Thanks fellas, my assos s5 uno shorts from the factory outlet arrived at work today. I wore them on my 20 mile commute home. Got to say, pretty hard to beat the feeling of brand spanking new, top quality shorts , sun shining and a pretty hefty tailwind coming home!
    I went for the medium size too following your advice. Spot on.
    much appreciated, chapeau to all
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I'm currently a big fan of Pactimo Raptors (£130). I've had Assos, Castelli, Shutt VR etc, but find these a stunningly comfortable bibshort/chamois for all day wear. Top notch quality. They sit slightly longer in the leg than Assos, but size similar otherwise. I prefer these over any of them.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    RyanB wrote:
    I'm currently a big fan of Pactimo Raptors (£130). I've had Assos, Castelli, Shutt VR etc, but find these a stunningly comfortable bibshort/chamois for all day wear. Top notch quality. They sit slightly longer in the leg than Assos, but size similar otherwise. I prefer these over any of them.

Where can you get these in the UK?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/summit-raptor-rflx-bibs-men-s-1.html

Looks like Belfast is the UK outlet. Interesting, may have to try a pair.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    handful wrote:
    http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/summit-raptor-rflx-bibs-men-s-1.html

Looks like Belfast is the UK outlet. Interesting, may have to try a pair.

Yes. Thats correct. My club pair were bought direct through Pactimo, but I bought another plain pair at a trade fair here in N.Ireland. Great shorts.

You can order through www.pactimo.com I think.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    Navrig2 wrote:

+ 1, although I've not tried some of the other brands mentioned.

+1 again, these are my go to shorts for long rides - the quality of the material, comfort of the straps, and perfect pad (For me) are sublime, I always look forward to a ride in these!
    I also have some of the bib tight equivalents, which are a bargain price of £75ish at wiggle at the mo.

When I bought these I also ordered 2 different styles of Assos bib shorts, IIRC it was S5 and S7, and personally I didn't like the cut or pad in the Assos ones (Not that I tried them out in anger of course) but combined with the fact that I managed to get the Orhi's last year from Merlin for £70 each........
    I was so impressed with them I ended up buying 4 pairs!

Just to add, my bibshort collection includes some top end Craft, mid range Mavic, and also 2 pairs of high end Mavic's (Price wise on a par with the Etxeondo's) but have yet to try these in anger, and will be interested to see how they compare to the Orhi's.

I used to love Santini, but for me the other brands just seem to work better.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18