Interval Training

nfcbdfgjbfgh
nfcbdfgjbfgh Posts: 8
Hello i am looking for some advice on interval training for time trials. I had a good winter of mostly z2 and z3 riding with some intervals mixed in and now i am riding strong i have just got a 10 mile pb of 21.25. I want to bring more intervals into my training to get me to the next level but i'm not sure whether the length of intervals are important or whether it is the total amount of time spent in a specific zone that is important. Any advice from your personal experience will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Adam topham has a good interval session in his time trialling book. Pyramid intervals with each section working on different muscle fibres. Tabata intervals are good too, 15x 30/30 on/off or 10x40/20. Really tough!

You probably want to work at threshold too, building up to 30-40 mins or longer at ftp.
  • You should be more concerned with what will work for you, not work might have worked for others since it's your development needs that matter.

And that's a question that's pretty difficult to answer with limited specific and personal information, and in anything other than broad/general terms in an online forum.

In essence any dominantly aerobic interval session will be a good choice, along with anything specific to the type of races you do, provided it's part of an overall training plan that makes sense.

That could be anything from solid tempo work, to threshold efforts of 5-30 minutes, to VO2max / MAP efforts of 3-5 minutes, to micro interval sets (which are still heavily aerobic).
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    With a 10 mile pb of 21.25 you should be giving advice on here not asking for it! :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach