Advice on brakes please

2»

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Some of us are of the opinion that DA and Ultegra brakes are really as good as it gets and that Campag don't quite stop as quick. I use Campag Record (pre skeleton) but if I could be bothered I would change to either DA/Ultegra - they just have a b't more' - no science there but just my opinion
    M.Rushton
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    I have Ultegra 6600, SRAM Rival, Campag Record 9 speed and latest Campag Veloce and to be honest they all work brilliantly compared with the awful V brakes on my tredder or that I had on road bikes years ago. Of course the disk brakes on the MTB are in a different league altogether and gave me the only ride with complete confidence I ever experienced down Whitedown in the Surrey Hills. If I were the OP I would pick up some 105 calipers at least as brakes seem to have come a long way jn recent years.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I wouldnt bother changing the brakes at all just yet and get better pads. I have just changed my stock 6800 pads to Clarks tri-compound pads and the difference is night and day. The ultegra pads were weak and vague and didnt slow me down quick enough, the clarks pads offer a far better initial bite and better modulation, now saying all that the wheels are brand new also and maybe they both need time in bed together as i have BR650 calipers and 105 pads on my winter bike but with well used wheels and the stopping power is second to none and considerably better than even a mates DA9000 equipped bike.
  • CptMuppet
    CptMuppet Posts: 32
    I have now changed my pads, I found some, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clar ... -prod55815 which seemed decent enough at £4.99 a pair with extra pads. Least this way if they aren't any good I now have cartridge rather than block. Only tried them in the dry and they seem a vast improvement to my stock ones, well worth the money. I will be changing the calipers in the near future or at least before next winter as there seems to be a bit of movement in them when I apply the brakes, not a lot but its there, not sure if that's normal. Ridden twice now and confidence back up.
    Thanks for all your help people, its most appreciated.