Kittel

Comments

• Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Would Cav ever be anyone's lead-out man?
    Would you have asked that about Alessandro Petacchi a few years ago. ??

Probably not, but I think Petacchi probably has a different mentality to Cav in that respect.

Cav strikes me more as the sort of person that if he's not the one winning the sprints, he would rather quit at the top and become a tv pundit. I couldn't see him going beyond his 'winning limit' for another 5 years being the next big things lead-out man, like Petacchi did. I might be wrong, but I just don't think thats in Cavs nature.

I agree with most of this, but - Cav as a pundit ???

Well i'm only thinking that because he'll need a new job :) and he was a commentator at the track Olympics a few times. Would he ever be in a team car as a DS?? maybe, but I can't see it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Probably not, but I think Petacchi probably has a different mentality to Cav in that respect.

Cav strikes me more as the sort of person that if he's not the one winning the sprints, he would rather quit at the top and become a tv pundit. I couldn't see him going beyond his 'winning limit' for another 5 years being the next big things lead-out man, like Petacchi did. I might be wrong, but I just don't think thats in Cavs nature.

He did a little bit for the BBC at the Olympics. I can't remember if he was any good.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Well i'm only thinking that because he'll need a new job :) and he was a commentator at the track Olympics a few times. Would he ever be in a team car as a DS?? maybe, but I can't see it.

He was in car for IOM at the commies RR. I think when he stops winning sprints he will try to change the way he rides and target semi classics or something rather than become a led out man, or do a wiggins I am sure he still craves an Olympic gold
  • ddraver wrote:
    Same height ascent...or as Thom says you could not take it so literally...

Well yes, but that's about the only similarity. I wasn't so much taking FF's comment literally as questioning whether it was useful/meaningful as a comment, given the different physical challenges the two events pose.

No-one seriously compares a 10k running race with a 1500m swim by concluding that the former is like 6 of the latter, so why would a comparison between low level cycling and mountaineering in the Death Zone be of any great relevance?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    Same height ascent...or as Thom says you could not take it so literally...

why would a comparison between low level cycling and mountaineering in the Death Zone be of any great relevance?

It isn't, but that isn't how Tabloid SI units work:

Small-medium sized things are measured in double-decker buses. Very large things are measured in Mt Everest.
    Medium-sized things are measured in football pitches. Very large things are measures in Walesses (what's the plural of Wales? Help me out here someone).
    Small things are measured in matchboxes. Very small things are measured as width-of-a-human-hair-s.

Anyway, you get the idea. Point is, it isn't *supposed* to be relevant. It's supposed to take a thing which is difficult to quantify - 54,000m, say - and allow people to interpret that difficult to quantify thing as something they can relate to - multiples of Mt Everest (or 'fucking big', in layman's terms).
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The_Boy wrote:

Small-medium sized things are measured in double-decker buses. Very large things are measured in Mt Everest.
    Medium-sized things are measured in football pitches. Very large things are measures in Walesses (what's the plural of Wales? Help me out here someone).
    Small things are measured in matchboxes. Very small things are measured as width-of-a-human-hair-s.

Anyway, you get the idea. Point is, it isn't *supposed* to be relevant. It's supposed to take a thing which is difficult to quantify - 54,000m, say - and allow people to interpret that difficult to quantify thing as something they can relate to - multiples of Mt Everest (or '******* big', in layman's terms).

:lol: +1
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I really cannot believe this is being taken seriously

Excellent post Boy, Outstanding work!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Macaloon wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Anyway, you get the idea. Point is, it isn't *supposed* to be relevant. It's supposed to take a thing which is difficult to quantify - 54,000m, say - and allow people to interpret that difficult to quantify thing as something they can relate to - multiples of Mt Everest (or '******* big', in layman's terms).

+10, lol indeed!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Macaloon wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

+10, lol indeed!

Somewhat tongue in cheek. And I'm not talking about Peta.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The_Boy wrote:

This is really quite excellent. :D
    Correlation is not causation.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Macaloon wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

+10, lol indeed!

+lots!

Dunno if anyone else here reads El Reg, (Tech/IT news site) but they have a long tradition of taking the "Tabloid SI Units" idea to deliberately ridiculous extremes. Their official definitions here:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24 ... standards/
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • joelsim
    The_Boy wrote:

Anyway, you get the idea. Point is, it isn't *supposed* to be relevant. It's supposed to take a thing which is difficult to quantify - 54,000m, say - and allow people to interpret that difficult to quantify thing as something they can relate to - multiples of Mt Everest (or '******* big', in layman's terms).[/q
    This is really quite excellent. :D

So how many football pitches is Kittel's hair? Half an Everest?
  • above_the_cows
    Joelsim wrote:
    So how many football pitches is Kittel's hair? Half an Everest?

I'd say a couple of Wales sized football pitches with a double decker and a bonus Donald Trump.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    No TOC for Kittell , so no Cav vs Kittel showdown :(

Roll on the tour. Maybe ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Hope so in the tour was gutted when he pulled out of TDY lets hope he's back soon after his illness
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Wonder what he's had? All the press releases are very cryptic about an unspecified virus. He's been out for months now...

This was a nice little read about his TdY abandon. http://rouleur.cc/journal/racing/marcel ... re-abandon
  • above_the_cows
    I wonder if its glandular fever or something similar? That knocks you for 6 for ages! Or maybe he's just trying to re-strengthen the quiff.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    The_Boy wrote:
    Very large things are measures in Walesses (what's the plural of Wales? Help me out here someone).

This is where switching to metric has its advantages - 'Belgiums' is a much easier plural to use.
  • rich_pcp
    rich_pcp Posts: 113
    The_Boy wrote:
    Very large things are measures in Walesses (what's the plural of Wales? Help me out here someone).

This is where switching to metric has its advantages - 'Belgiums' is a much easier plural to use.
    I think it's Belgia in the original Latin
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    If he's been out for what 6 months. Abandoned the Tour de Northern Monkeys last week after 50km and is pulled from the EPO T of Cali can he seriously contest sprints in the TdF.

If he does my eyebrows will be on the artex.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Non specific viruses can wreck your training. I should know I've only just last month recovered from one. If he's out the other side by mid May he should be ok for the tour, but you never know.
  • joelsim
    The_Boy wrote:

But does anyone know how big a Belgium is?
  • The_Boy
    Joelsim wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

Tintin might...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Or Poirot...
  • The_Boy
    or Plastic Bertrand...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Joelsim wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

c1.5 Waleses :wink:
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Joelsim wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

c1.5 Waleses :wink:

OT. Few years ago staying in the Gent Campanile for Flanders weekend, our regular cabbie for evening piss-ups was from Cardiff. Having lived there for 25 years, said there was no way he was ever going back to Wales.
  • frenchfighter
    Tour participation not a given:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kittel- ... ance-start

In these cases there should probably be a clause in their contracts where they can pay them significantly less.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    do you have one in yours?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    Yeah, most people do - it's called sick leave. Your limited in how much you can take off. After that point they stop paying you.
    Contador is the Greatest