Injured Knees

Greg2015
Greg2015 Posts: 16
Hi,

After being hit by a car I have limited mobility in my left knee. I've been told that I have 50 degree angle bend by my physio. My brace is set at 90 degree right angle but I cant get that far.I'm working on my flexibility prior to a MRI scan and assessment. Does anyone know what angle is needed for the knee to pedal a full turn completely?

Thanks

Greg

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    It's not just the angle of bend its the ability within your knee for the repetitive nature of cycling.

It's impossible to provide you informed response with so little to go on.

However I've been wearing a knee brace for nearly 30 years. Mobility was limited at first but I regained full bend over a period of a few months and intense psyhio. I cycle without the brace as that just knackers the skin where the stabilisers locate on both sides of my knee. I went for a bike fit a couple of years ago and the video showed my injured leg having better cycling action than my good leg. Go figure.

Bottom line is don't get to hung up with angles yet, try a static cycle test first as you can higher the saddle and see how you go.

BTW, Don't let your vet define what you do or what you want to do. Temper your aspirations with some common sense and take an incremental and cautious approach and you will find a massive and rather disjointed approach from consultant to consultant and most nowadays want vets primary driver is to avoid getting sued.

Best wishes on your recovery.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Greg2015
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm going to try a static bike 1st. How come still the brace?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    I had a motorcycle accident which left me missing a good part of my knee joint......
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I had a martial arts acident which left me with torn and ripped ligaments, a bucket tear of the meniscus and other rubbish in the knee.

It took a while to get used to riding again, esp after doing the same to the other one. I'm now 3 yrs later and i've gone from hardly being able to walk to cycling 100 miles a week and up to 80 a time. I've just learned to listen to my body, if they are sore I don't ride!
  • Greg2015
    Thats good going, it must take an awful lot of effort not to mention willpower to get back up to that level.