Your trivial pro-rider pet hates

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    hammerite wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    And why is it called a magic spanner? How many bike parts (that are easily accessible) rely on the use of a spanner over an Allen key?
    It's called the 'magic spanner' because it makes the bike go at 50kph without the rider turning the pedals.

But surely it should be renamed the 'magic allen key' 8)
    Ah! Fair point. I was focusing on the wrong word.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    hammerite wrote:
    And why is it called a magic spanner? How many bike parts (that are easily accessible) rely on the use of a spanner over an Allen key?
    Pfft, sounds like you found cycling yesterday....in my day it were all spanners. Allen keys? We used to dream of Allen keys. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    hammerite wrote:
    Pfft, sounds like you found cycling yesterday....in my day it were all spanners. Allen keys? We used to dream of Allen keys. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Leg warmers over shorts.

Yes. I agree. But what about leg warmers over shorts held in place with a big safety pin a la Paolini? Does he get a pass as he is otherwise a heavyweight, or were you thinking of him specifically?

On a related matter, and in terms of what irks me: Beards! Riders with beards look like dirty muppets. The classic example is Dan Craven. ONLY ONE RIDER is permitted to have a beard - only one - and that is Paolini. The reason being, he was the first and sole rider to do it for a long time and his hard ass riding earned him the credibility. He had to work hard to make it look acceptable. Because he made it look ok for him it doesn't open the door for other riders to do the same :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    emadden wrote:
    Leg warmers over shorts.

Yes. I agree. But what about leg warmers over shorts held in place with a big safety pin a la Paolini? Does he get a pass as he is otherwise a heavyweight, or were you thinking of him specifically?

On a related matter, and in terms of what irks me: Beards! Riders with beards look like dirty muppets. The classic example is Dan Craven.

ONLY ONE RIDER is permitted to have a beard - only one - and that is Paolini.

The reason for this is Paolini was the first and sole rider to wear a beard for a long time, and his hard ass riding earned him the requisite credibility to carry off that look. He looked like a manic savage. He had to work hard to make it look acceptable. However, just because he made it look ok FOR HIM to wear a beard doesn't mean the gates were opened for other riders to do the same. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • emadden
    edited April 2015
    narbs wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:

Big beards, on any riders except Paolini.

sp13dan2901.jpg?itok=imLD49Ue

Harsh.

As I mentioned, a dirty muppet.

Captura_de_pantalla_2012-03-17_a_la_s__22.14.48.png

a_560x0.jpg
    www.dotcycling.com
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Rigga wrote:
    Doping.
    I'm pretty sure this is a doping free thread :wink:

My pet hate is riders who are not prepared to lose in order to win.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited April 2015
    When people denegrate fans of national teams/riders as it's supposedly not how it's done in cycling

edit - not a pro rider thing
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Can it be a pet hate to completely detest that bit where they sit down on the top tube like Tony Martin does so well during a descent....I've started to see it on my local routes where the rider hasen't spun out the 11t and look stupidly unstable at a relatively low speed (how many want to admit trying it out, even once?)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    hammerite wrote:
    Riders picking up a musette, checking to see what they were given in their pack up, then throwing everything away bar an energy gel and a new bottle.

If they weren't hungry surely they could have just not bothered with the musette and just gone back to the team car? The checking through stuff makes it look like they were hungry, but didn't fancy the marmite and cheese sandwiches Mum sent them to school with.

Maybe they were hoping to get the 'special musette', like Bling Matthews:

1428596542_350428_1428596684_noticia_normal.jpg

:)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Can it be a pet hate to completely detest that bit where they sit down on the top tube like Tony Martin does so well during a descent....I've started to see it on my local routes where the rider hasen't spun out the 11t and look stupidly unstable at a relatively low speed (how many want to admit trying it out, even once?)

I've tried it. It's fast. Faster than any other aero tuck and faster than pedalling. It feel unstable at first but doesn't take long to get a handle on it. I also would NOT recommend it it, and certainly not with anyone else around you or when you need to try and steer the bike!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Some fairly loose interpretations of the word 'trivial' here.
  • rick_chasey
    Can it be a pet hate to completely detest that bit where they sit down on the top tube like Tony Martin does so well during a descent....I've started to see it on my local routes where the rider hasen't spun out the 11t and look stupidly unstable at a relatively low speed (how many want to admit trying it out, even once?)

I do it quite a lot.

More fun when you do it round sweeping corners ;).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    emadden wrote:

Yeah that was pretty awful and made me think of it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    emadden wrote:
    a_560x0.jpg

Sorry to break into a bit of positivity, but that photo is absolutely brilliant :D
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,235
    Pierre Roland and his face.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Any rider that despite having thrown every lawyer on the planet at their case and lost - still claims they won a race or x number of stages after the UCI and CAS have stricken it from their palmares.

Them's the rules, if you don't like it go do something else.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    As to Paolini's beard. He has to have a beard to off-set the fact that he has the eyes of a baby fawn. It's true. His safety pins are just a whole other level of him not giving a f*ck. Sartorially its awful but also strangely endearing.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Pierre Roland and his face.

:shock: Harsh. :shock:

But fair. I have the same feeling about Greg Van Avermaet and his face.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Team buses.

Race radios/Power meters.

Black socks.

Crashes.

The fact that Oleg Tinkov is in the sport.

That it is so difficult to watch races these days (nothing on television in the US and everything seems to be geo-restricted on the web).

Bradley Wiggins (I apologize).
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529

Spun out the 50/11 on my Wilier in Italy last year doing 48mph, dropped into Tony Martin style tuck and accelerated to 54mph. Absolutely fantastic fun, hoping to hit 60+ off Ventoux this summer.

Getting bored of the Tinkof Saxo kit, makes my eyes hurt. Looks even worse in the flesh/lycra as worn by A FPKW in the cafe last week.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pokerface wrote:
    Maybe they were hoping to get the 'special musette', like Bling Matthews:

1428596542_350428_1428596684_noticia_normal.jpg

Bling Matthews. Most irritating nickname in pro cycling.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    emadden wrote:

Yeah that was pretty awful and made me think of it.

At it again in PR.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    'Zany' corporate shills like this 'dude'.

phinney-oakleys1.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    Welcome to youth of today Macaloon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Macaloon wrote:
    'Zany' corporate shills like this 'dude'.

phinney-oakleys1.png

I don't mind Taylor, but his whole life is an advert.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Welcome to youth of today Macaloon.

I'm optimistic. It will only take a few high-profile hacks of prominent Google search histories, or iTunes playlists :shock:, for the slaves to wake up.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rick_chasey
    Youth of today is naturally comfortable with 'big corporates' and their brands.

Their entire life is essentially documented and available for people to see online on their FB and twitter, so they do what they can to gloss up the shop window and make themselves employable.

No-ones' going to get a reasonable job at big employers if you start slagging off everyone as a 'corporate shill' ;)

But maybe that's a debate for another part of the forum.

--

Here's a newer pet hate.

Riders who don't give interviews at the finish line/ start line.

• Riders who have won the square root of sod all banging about how the numbers tell them they're better than last year.

See Haussler before PR saying he had the legs to ride into the finale in Flanders but couldnt because he was caught behind a split on the Tiegemberg and couldn't chase because Elmiger was up front. That's the first hill in the race.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Youth of today is naturally comfortable with 'big corporates' and their brands.

Their entire life is essentially documented and available for people to see online on their FB and twitter, so they do what they can to gloss up the shop window and make themselves employable.

No-ones' going to get a reasonable job at big employers if you start slagging off everyone as a 'corporate shill' ;)

--

Here's a newer pet hate.

Wait, showing that you like brands makes you employable now?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Youth of today is naturally comfortable with 'big corporates' and their brands.

--

Here's a newer pet hate.

Wait, showing that you like brands makes you employable now?

No, but the reverse makes you unemployable to similar brands.

If I start kicking off as a 15 year old about how awful fast food chains are on twitter I suspect my application to Burger King grad scheme aged 20 will not go quite as well... everything's searchable.