Your trivial pro-rider pet hates

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Somewhere where you can rant about behaviour of pro riders that irritates you.

I'll kick it off.

Riders who are attacking/going full bore/riding fast/sprinting who insist on keeping their hands on the hoods as opposed to riding on the drops.

Why carry all that weight and have the drag if you're not going to use it?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Thanking the team when it was clear that the win was mainly was a result of the actual rider being freaking awesome.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Riders who attack then look back after 25m, then continue looking back every 100m.

Leg warmers and no arm warmers.

Leg warmers over shorts.

Black overshoes.

Riders who would rather lose then put their nose in the win.

Tattoos.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Stupid victory celebrations - two Tinkoff riders come to mind immediately...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Littering
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Oakley Jawbones (sorry G).
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204

I'll kick it off.

Riders who are attacking/going full bore/riding fast/sprinting who insist on keeping their hands on the hoods as opposed to riding on the drops.

Riding on the hoods is more aero than riding on the drops.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Over the top clothing/bike ensembles (Mr Rolland, Mr Voeckler, I'm looking at you...)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    DL1987 wrote:

I'll kick it off.

Riding on the hoods is more aero than riding on the drops.

In which case, why have drops?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Baseball caps. I know it's the team/sponsor's fault rather than the riders, but they look awful, and pro cycling already has a suitable cap all of its very own.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Anything Sagan does.

Oakley Jaw Bones and those stupid Bolle ones OGE wear.

Black Socks.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Silly celebrations

Riders happy with 2nd instead of attempting for 1st.

leg warmers, no arm warmers

not wearing black shorts with a leaders/champs jersey

I'll add more.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Stupid victory celebrations. (Sagan)

Leg warmers but no arm warmers. (Valverde)

Really short socks and/or really long socks.

White Oakley jaw bones especially when warn by TJVG (The black ones are kind of sort of bearable)

Those hideous Giro aero helmets. (Katusha) Actually BMCs Giro helmets are pretty horrid too.

The penchant for using fluro accents a la Katusha or fluro and another colour a la Tinkoff. If you're going to go fluro then you have to fully commit.

That Ulrika electrical tape in Aussie colours. Barf.

Shoes that are any other colour than white or maybe black at a pinch. And never ever, ever different coloured shoes on right and left. This is NOT football.

Children on podiums no matter how cute Kristoff junior is when frightened by a popping champagne cork. Congratulations you had sex.

BMC. I don't like them. I don't like one rider on the team. I don't know why, it's irrational. Completely and utterly irrational.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    LeePaton wrote:
    Anything Sagan does.

Oakley Jaw Bones and those stupid Bolle ones OGE wear.

Black Socks.

I don't mind black socks but good call on the others.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Black socks

Wearing matching shorts/socks/everything with leaders/champs jersey

Riders pulling faces or gesturing when a rider from another team won't come through

Tattoos

English-speaking riders using the word 'super' in interviews (I'm looking at you, Cav: 'super-motivated', 'super-strong'); cute when a euro does it, not when an anglo does it

Oh, and bronze bikes that celebrate coming third in a chipper :wink:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Oh, and bronze bikes that celebrate coming third in a chipper :wink:

Don't forget it's bronze enough to make people think it's gold.
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    I don't mind black socks but good call on the others.

Socks should be crisp and white, just below the calf muscle.

I dunno why but I also can't stick TJVG on a bike, just doesn't look good at all.

Or Lachlan Morton and his pissy hipster attitude. Have a shave, do some training and drop the "I'm different crap" same with everyone else who takes black and white instagram photos. Having to go a "find yourself" ride at 22... Gallleeeeeeeeee
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Riders pulling faces or gesturing when a rider from another team won't come through
    I almost put that one, but in truth it makes me laugh.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I should qualify this:
    Riders pulling faces or gesturing when a rider from another team with a man up the road won't come through

As I also hate riders looking at each other to chase when it's in all their interests to.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Sprinting out of the saddle is one thing but pretty sure I heard Wiggo a couple of years ago saying that elbows bent with hands on the hoods was more aero than being on the drops as the fontal area is lower.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited April 2015
    Pro rider pet hates? Riders talking about "sacrifices" they made to be a top pro when really they mean the "choices" they made. They chose to miss their kids birthday for 10 years cos it clashed with the TdF. "Sacrifice" makes it sounds far more noble than it really is.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Banging handlebars when comprehensively beaten in a sprint to suggest someone impeded them or they had some form of bad luck when in fact they were just not quick enough.

Riders who make no effort to close down the rider / group in front but then sprint to 'win' the group they are in.

Riders throwing bottles on the road when there's a huge group of other riders behind.

Team mates celebrating with their hands in the air in the middle of a team sprint.

Riding off the road, particularly to avoid cobbles.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Nothing personal but...

Laurens Ten Dams constant snotty nose and mouth like he's a Bulldog left out in the sun too long (and constent TV close-ups of it falling from his face all over the bike frame)

Being told the riders are doing '80 kmh' when the speedo on the motorbike is showing '60 kmh'.

Cavs miserable bl**dy face in an interview, even if he's won..frowning...looking left for 30 seconds...looking right for 30 seconds..before finally answering in a way that you've got a cheek for even asking him anything.

Cavs stupid glasses he puts on to make us think he's got a degree in astro physics (when we all know he's a talented, snotty little kid from the IOM with 1 GCSE)

Being told by the winner (any winner) 'the team pulled all day, couldn't have done it without them...each and every one went through the mill..' blah blah blah..when we all saw them fall away with 80kms still to go.

Riders throwing their bikes to the ground when getting a puncture, like it's the first time they've ever had one and the complete lack of respect for the poor mechanics who have to put the thing back together again.

Big beards, on any riders except Paolini.

Riders who seem to be able to descend at 90 kmh with just their arms on the tops without a care in the world, but the minute they win a race and do a celebration they almost crash the bike.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    To pick one, when everyone in the groups rolling in suddenly starts sprinting. I hope they have bets amongst themselves to give it some value.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Ashbeck wrote:

Big beards, on any riders except Paolini.

sp13dan2901.jpg?itok=imLD49Ue

Harsh.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Any rider or sports person in general who complain about the stuff they have to do around the actual sport but which pays the bills.

Fine, you don't want to promote product x or spend time with media or fans*, that's cool. Tell you what to do, forget the sponsorship deals, go get a job in a bike shop and see will the boss give you the weekend off to do Paris Roubaix.

What you do has no intrinsic value. None. You have no relevance aside from the fact that people will watch you do what you do. If we stopped watching you'd have no income. See also women wanting paid more.

* though it's understandable if people are being d1cks. That's just people being d1cks. They'll be a d1ck to the guy serving their coffee too, but he doesn't get to strop off, he finishes his shift then clocks out.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Riders who ride with wrists on the bars and limply hanging over.

Hold your damn bars.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Riders avoiding cobbles by riding in a paved 'gutter'.

Cancellara in general.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

I should qualify this:
    Riders pulling faces or gesturing when a rider from another team with a man up the road won't come through

As I also hate riders looking at each other to chase when it's in all their interests to.

This:

Rider from Team A flicks an elbow.

Team leader from Team B has Teammate up the road with Leader of Team C.

Team Leader B nods his head to Team A rider as "his man is up there" so he can't possibly ride.

GGGGGNNnnnaanaaarararrraaarrrggghhhhh
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    That celebrating despite coming 2nd thing that Bettini always used to do.

Mountain trains.

Riders complaining about the awful conditions they ride in when it's mostly just poor choice of clothing.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Riders who attack then look back after 25m, then continue looking back every 100m.

Leg warmers and no arm warmers.

Leg warmers over shorts.

Can go with those... arm warmers and no mitts gets me. Unless its Boonen.