Conti GP4000, 4 Season, Gatorskins

2»

Comments

• turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Just my 2 pennies worth but I've been running gp4000's on my commuter for over 2 years without a puncture. Obviously now I've posted this I'm getting 1 first thing Tuesday morning but that's my own fault!

I run them at approx 120psi and check them for imbedded glass every now and again but they seem to hold up well on the streets of London. I previously used gatorskins on the same bike with the same wheels and I'd personally recommend the gp's out of the two.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My front 25mm GP4000S has done 2 years and about 6000miles. Had s snakebite puncture once when I let the pressures get too low (probably 40/50/60 PSI max) and hit a huge pothole. Had a normal puncture once. It was flat when I went to go to work the other day but couldnt quickly find the puncture and seemed to be holding pressure so I cycled to work and looked at lunchtime. It wasnt another puncture, it was the previous repair starting to leak, so patched that up again. Looking in detail at the tyre, I must have dug 12-15 pieces of glass out of it - so it obviously did its job VERY well.

In that time/distance, the 28mm GP4Seasons has not had one puncture.
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I've got to say I'm very impressed with the puncture resistnace of my GP4000s and I would buy them again were they not discontinued. The going price for the GP4000s II tyres is ~£30 each and that's pushing a bit too far above my £50 limit for a pair of tyres.
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    DKay wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    Not a happy chap over here, so first ride out in these all seem to go well, however as I was setting out for my second ride, I noticed the front was flat, I must have got a puncture on the front very close to home on the first trip. So second ride I just went with my other wheel and tyre. Swapped back got 1 puncture free ride in, then third outing ending in the front having a puncture again. Note the rear has survived fine so far.

Stupid question, but have you checked the inside of the tyre and rim for any sharp fragments? That many punctures isn't normal with any tyre.

Not so stupid, I will check that out this weekend.

No one has any experience of the s-works turbo on our usual bad roads? Only a consideration at the current £50 for a set else I'd never consider it.
  • jpower
    Just an update here, so probably had the Pro 4 race for about 300 miles total, recently moved deeper into the Chilterns, my last long ride 120k had 2 punctures (front and rear, different times), the next ride within 5 minutes of leaving my house another puncture. The tyres look fine themselves and good be just bad luck or the road conditions are a little worse.

Anyway I can't stand puncture like everyone else I am sure, ordered a set of pro 4 endurance v2, will see how that goes now.
  • I love the Conti Grand Prix GT's. Seem a great compromise between the ride of the 4000SII and the protection of the 4 -Season. Used them since last spring on my Ali wheels and through the winter and only one punchure in October when all the crap was being washed on the roads. 5000 miles so far easily
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    jpower wrote:
    Just an update here, so probably had the Pro 4 race for about 300 miles total, recently moved deeper into the Chilterns, my last long ride 120k had 2 punctures (front and rear, different times), the next ride within 5 minutes of leaving my house another puncture. The tyres look fine themselves and good be just bad luck or the road conditions are a little worse.

Anyway I can't stand puncture like everyone else I am sure, ordered a set of pro 4 endurance v2, will see how that goes now.

Can you confirm that these punctures are caused by sharp objects entering the tyre from the contact area with the road? All my recent punctures have been caused by badly fitted rim tape that had moved and slightly exposed one sharp edge of a spoke hole which randomly caused punctures and had me flummoxed for a while.

Check your rim tape!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    The pro4 endurance (28mm) is an excellent tyre when on, really comfortable, rolls well, grips well and so on. Was well happy and only started to get punctures after a few thousand miles and then, only on a really bad surface that also punctured a variety of my clubmates tyres.

By my god they leave me in tears trying to get them on/off (kinesis crosslight wheels). I'm talking 40 minutes at the side of the road sort of pain...tubes pinched and so on.

After a winter of heavier duty tyres (the pro4's were my summer tyre :) ) I forgot about the pain and bought some cheap ones again.

Pain. Pain. Pain.

Gonna ebay them (threw box away...), no way am I gonna risk them on the road. Will try something easier to get on/off the rim and see how I go. The crosslights are 19mm width (internal), wonder if thats the reason? Anyone else have this problem or is it just my wheels?
  • jpower
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    jpower wrote:

Can you confirm that these punctures are caused by sharp objects entering the tyre from the contact area with the road? All my recent punctures have been caused by badly fitted rim tape that had moved and slightly exposed one sharp edge of a spoke hole which randomly caused punctures and had me flummoxed for a while.

Check your rim tape!

Will check when I put the new ones on.
  • jpower
    The pro4 endurance (28mm) is an excellent tyre when on, really comfortable, rolls well, grips well and so on. Was well happy and only started to get punctures after a few thousand miles and then, only on a really bad surface that also punctured a variety of my clubmates tyres.

By my god they leave me in tears trying to get them on/off (kinesis crosslight wheels). I'm talking 40 minutes at the side of the road sort of pain...tubes pinched and so on.

After a winter of heavier duty tyres (the pro4's were my summer tyre :) ) I forgot about the pain and bought some cheap ones again.

Pain. Pain. Pain.

Gonna ebay them (threw box away...), no way am I gonna risk them on the road. Will try something easier to get on/off the rim and see how I go. The crosslights are 19mm width (internal), wonder if thats the reason? Anyone else have this problem or is it just my wheels?

when i first bought pro4 race, first instance of getting the tyres on was bad, prob 30 mins, I was scared if I ever got a puncture. Weird enough when I had the punctures, it wasn't easy back on the rim, but no where near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Got I hope the endurance are easier, or I may be joining you, or I hope they don't puncture :-) I went for 25mm