Conti GP4000, 4 Season, Gatorskins

jpower
jpower Posts: 554
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Really want to get a pair 4000's for my summer wheels, however like most I don't like higher risks of punctures.

Wondering which Conti is comparable to the Spesh Espoir tyres I have now in terms of puncture resistance?

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    From what I can find it seems the espoir is designed as a high mileage tyre, which is probably most similar to the Gatorskins- they are tough tyres that are very hard wearing, and even when they do the number of punctures don't increase all that much.

The 4 seasons are supposed to give better grip in poor conditions- they won't be quite as durable or give as much protection as the gatorskin but many swear by them- they are still going to be very reliable tyres and will probably 'feel' better than the gatorskins as they will be a little lighter and thinner.

The 4000s are racing tyres, and give excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions, and they roll well and feel more supple than the above tyres. They so have some puncture protection built in which has been increased in the new edition probably because of the proportion of customers that use them for general use rather than racing, but unfortunately the weight and cost has increased (I was more than happy with the old model and don't want any more protection).
    I've put several hundred good weather miles into my pair of the slightly older 4000s (not s ii) and not had any punctures in the dry and wear seems reasonable, although I did have two punctures in 3 outings at a racing circuit with awful surface and lots of water early in the year- they really aren't supposed to be used in wintry conditions!
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    If you are a lightweight (wish I was!!) I suspect the GP4000s will be fine. Failing that, I would suggest Michelin Pro4 Service Course as a slightly hardier tyre which is otherwise very similar to the GP4000s. Added bonus is that you can pick them up much cheaper if you shop around. My own experience of the GP4000s esp in Surrey Hills is that they are prone to failure with the number of sharpies often encountered. I've also found the GP4 Seasons hardier in this respect but not as nice as the Michelins.

Peter
  • jpower
    It may help if I say what I'm trying to do, albeit probably obvious. Trying to get lighter faster tyre on the CT45 for summer use, also for my first triathlon event, feel bike my strongest leg so what to clock in as quick as I can, but punctures cost even more time so would like to limit that risk.

I weigh 67kg dunno whether that's considered light or heavy for the tyre.

Oh my usual runs are in the Chiltern hills.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Another option is the Michelin Pro4 Endurance.

I am impressed with the 25mm Pro4 Service Course that I've been running over the past 7-8 months so I would be happy to take a gamble on the Endurance if I wanted a fit-and-forget tyre.

Got a good review in roadcc

http://road.cc/content/review/76068-mic ... rance-tyre
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I bought a pair of Schwalbe Ultremos for TT and general summer use (I'm saving the GP4000s for bunch races only now because of the cost of the new tyres) and they again seem to have reasonable puncture protection in the summer months, and they are also light.
    For TTs (and your triathlons) pairing them with supersonic or other lightweight inner tubes gives a really nice ride- unfortunately the Ultremo ZX's have been replaced by the slightly more expensive schwalbe 1, but although marginally heavier they claim it both rolls better and has a lower wear rate- the reviews are also good.

Michelin Pro 4 service course is also a good option- from the looks of it they look pretty much the same as the Ultremos, and having a pair of their endurance model they should be a good tyre, although I haven't yet ridden the service course edition themselves.

For TT/ triathalon use I would actually avoid the new conti 4000s ii tyres unless you really want the assured grip on technical courses as the others are nearly as good grip wise, are lighter and probably roll slightly better too (although it would be very difficult to measure yourself tbh). They are also much better value so you don't have to worry so much about wearing them out during summer use.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The Michelin Pro 4 SC offers a fantastic mix of performance and protection at a decent price. They'll last over 3,000 mile which isn't quite the 4,000+ you'll get out of GP 4 Seasons, but considering they're at least a tenner a piece cheaper it's stil good value.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Fishboyz
    Fishboyz Posts: 152
    Go GP4000, its not worth the extra weight or protection. The GP is a much nicer tyre and probably the pick of the bunch in performance tyres resisting the dreaded P word
  • Buff40
    Buff40 Posts: 19
    Never had an issue with Gators, I have 25's on my commuter steed, I ride all year round and I've never had grip issues on frosty or wet backlanes in the winter, fair enough I don't travel at warp speed (15mph average) but still.

I had a really bad experience with Durano Etapes, when the front tyre split right through, I never did find what I ran over to make it do that but it was a squeeky bum moment.

Road bike still has the OEM Conti Ultrasports fitted and I can tell the difference though, they do seem to roll much better and don't scrub speed when coasting as quick as the Gators.
    FCN 9
  • jpower
    I think I misread price of GP4000s, hikes. The Michelin' are sounding pretty good to me at the moment, I'll be honest I'm no pro and saving a little weight or small changes in ride may be lost on me, I'm sure I think I'm a pro in my head when I sleep, in reality I know that's not true.

So if I'm being budget minded, looking for better then stock for summer with decent puncture protection.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I given up on one tyre being more puncture resistant than another as i seem seem to puncture everything. Those conti mentikned are all good tyres but flint goes through all of them even the gator skin hardshell.

The rolling resistance difference between the gp 4000s and the gatorskin is quite noticeable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jpower
    So budget in mind I'm pretty set on going for Michelin Pro4, now just need to figure out whether to go for SC or Endurance, not worried about mileage just punctures.
  • jpower
    Hmmmm, just seen pro3 service course pair and pair of tubes for £30, would these be a bad choice for regular training runs? Surfaces are very mixed def very few smooth roads and fair few potholes.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Don't go for Pro3. Pro4 are a massive improvement over them, particularly for wear and puncture resistance.
    I was on a 100 mile club ride last week, and 3 riders got punctures. All on Pro3s. All got cheap as shops are selling off old stock and all regretting them.
    Pro 4 come in about £20 each, Pro 3 about £15. I reckon the Pro 4s will last significantly longer so better value.
    I'm currently using 25mm Pro 4 service course on wide rims on my best bike and the ride is sublime.
  • northpole
    I'm with Davo - avoid Pro 3 tyres like the plague. They were a really nice rolling tyre but soft as cheese and terribly prone to cutting up and punctures. The Pro 4 is completely different with respect to robustness but in Service Course guise seems to lose nothing to the Pro 3 in ride quality.

Peter
  • jpower
    Ok pro 3's forgotten.

Pro4 is SC robust enough for our terrible roads or at least the roads I go down? Or should I venture on the side of safety with the Endurance?
  • northpole
    In terms of practicing what you preach, I have just this evening put a new set of service course onto my hyperon clinchers. I don't really see this as a gamble having ridden a set for the daily commute into and out of central London over a winter with no problems. I'm sure the endurance would be hardier still (I have a set on my new commuter wheels) but I'd be inclined to give the sc a chance in the first instance. Short of Armadillos or Marathon Plus, I'm not sure any of the tyres discussed here will stop nasty sharpies having their way if you are unfortunate enough to come across them. If you saw the cycling today in Belgium, the number of wheels replaced due to flats were incredible, not just over the cobble sections!

Peter
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    have a pair of 4 seasons (28) ran for 5000+ miles so far. Rear is a little squared off, but i will possibly keep running to (almost?) canvas, front has the odd cut that i have never got around to supergluing, but very little wear considering the distance. Cycled terrible roads, often glass and other nasty bits that i hear being jettisoned from underneath. no punctures yet. Might replace the front and move the front to the rear in the next ~1000 miles or so. I cannot be doing with punctures, and they seem comparatively fast (enough) and do what i want them to do. I would find it difficult to change to another brand/model of tubed clincher.
  • jpower
    I'm close to taking the Pro4 SC, only because if I didn't I'll always wonder, I just fear they may not be tough enough and I end up getting Endurance in the long run
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    You're over-thinking it (again). Just get the SCs. ;)
  • jpower
    Your right, let's go order some SC's and see how it goes.
  • jpower
    order place for some pro4 SC, fingers crossed. Also ordered Tiagra casette, so my summer wheels will be ready to go sometime this week, they got alot to live up to considering I beat alot of my times yesterday on my stock wheels.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Good choice on the Pro4 SC...have them on my Rourke and so far (fingers crossed) no Ps yet on the Surrey roads. I have GP4Seasons on the winter bike, may move over to Pro4SC (25c) on that too once the current tyres are worn out.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • jpower
    drlodge wrote:
    Good choice on the Pro4 SC...have them on my Rourke and so far (fingers crossed) no Ps yet on the Surrey roads. I have GP4Seasons on the winter bike, may move over to Pro4SC (25c) on that too once the current tyres are worn out.
    Sounds encouraging :D
  • jpower
    Not a happy chap over here, so first ride out in these all seem to go well, however as I was setting out for my second ride, I noticed the front was flat, I must have got a puncture on the front very close to home on the first trip. So second ride I just went with my other wheel and tyre. Swapped back got 1 puncture free ride in, then third outing ending in the front having a puncture again. Note the rear has survived fine so far.

So I am thinking I need a more puncture proof tyre on the front and keep the SC on the rear, any issue with running different fronts and rears? Thinking maybe to for th the endurance run those on the fronts and keep SC on the rear.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    No, just get Endurance for both ends. You won't be able to tell the difference in rolling or grip but the puncture resistance is excellent.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • jpower
    Quick question, spesh have that s-works tyre amnesty, I'm sure those tyres are great for races, anyone have any experience of just using them as a training tyre in the real world of roads :-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    jpower wrote:
    Not a happy chap over here, so first ride out in these all seem to go well, however as I was setting out for my second ride, I noticed the front was flat, I must have got a puncture on the front very close to home on the first trip. So second ride I just went with my other wheel and tyre. Swapped back got 1 puncture free ride in, then third outing ending in the front having a puncture again. Note the rear has survived fine so far.

So I am thinking I need a more puncture proof tyre on the front and keep the SC on the rear, any issue with running different fronts and rears? Thinking maybe to for th the endurance run those on the fronts and keep SC on the rear.

Well that's not good news :( I've used 25mm GP4seasons for 7 years but just treated the best bike to some 25mm Pro4 SC's. I'm liking the increased comfort the larger volume provides, and the ride / grip seem excellent in the dry so far. I'll not be happy if they start puncturing though!
  • englander
    englander Posts: 232
    I've heard that the Michelin Pro4s come up slightly larger than they say. I currently run 25mm GP4000s's on Mavic Aksium rims and I've only got perhaps 3mm of space before the rear tyre fouls the frame. Am I right to interpret that as meaning 25mm Pro4s would be too large, and that 23s would be necessary?
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The 25mm GP4000S's come up very large - mine are almost as big as the 28mm GP4Seasons (which come up narrow, more like 27mm) on the same rim (Archetype). I would not imagine that any other 25mm tyre would be wider than the GP4000S.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    jpower wrote:

Stupid question, but have you checked the inside of the tyre and rim for any sharp fragments? That many punctures isn't normal with any tyre.