SKYs new bike for Flanders and P-R

13»

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Flanders cobbles = absolutely no need for any bike medications whatsoever, especially when dry.

Apart from 10psi out of the tyres I find.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    calvjones wrote:
    Flanders cobbles = absolutely no need for any bike medications whatsoever, especially when dry.

Apart from 10psi out of the tyres I find.

Yeah.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Let’s hope that consigns road suspension to the dustbin for another few years.

Progress is scary isnt it....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    I assume you ride a steel fixie then?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    yes, yes, we re all sheep. Let us know when bike development should just stop would you?

By trying new things, other new things are discovered and those that are good become mainstream and stick around. Trek used an elastomer 10 year ago, it now makes the Domane. Do you not see the link?
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Sky aren't the only ones with fancy new kit...

16922812949_d61beaeaf1_z.jpg

I saw them! They didn't look nearly as cheerful after Sector 10 and a dump of rain. Generally the concept baffled me... what's the point?!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Not at all! But techno-nonsense masquerading as progress is consumerism run amok and, while not scary, is quite depressing. It’s bad enough that electric shifting and disc brakes are corrupting the beautiful simplicity of the perfected road bike.
    Disc brakes? Feels to me like a shambles that it has taken road cycling so long to implement such a simple improvement.

Times must and always do change.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    ddraver wrote:
    Let’s hope that consigns road suspension to the dustbin for another few years.

Progress is scary isnt it....
    Not at all! But techno-nonsense masquerading as progress is consumerism run amok and, while not scary, is quite depressing. It’s bad enough that electric shifting and disc brakes are corrupting the beautiful simplicity of the perfected road bike.

I don't think you can class all progress as 'techno-nonsense', if we didn't have progress we'd all be living in caves, hunting with spears and dying by the age of 25. I'm assuming you're 'expecting' to live to a ripe old age and cycle for most of that? If you are, that's only made possible through the progress of technology in manufacturing, medicine and nutrition over the years.

Along the way you are always going to have to experiment with different things, some stick and progress and some simply fall by the wayside. Look at the Sinclair C5, never took on, but certain technology within it went on to be utilised in other forms of electric vehicles, namely mobility scooters for the elderly and disabled. Without that progress your taxes would be much higher, as more man-power would be needed to help these people move about, whereas now, they can move about more freely on their own.

I've got bikes with mechanical and electronic shifting, but I don't find either of them 'depressing'. I appreciate them both for what they are. They live side-by-side in my mind, they both have good and bad points but when I'm cycling that never goes through my mind, I just use them and that's it. Nothing kills the cycling experience, it just adds to it.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    I saw them! They didn't look nearly as cheerful after Sector 10 and a dump of rain. Generally the concept baffled me... what's the point?!

Not sure. Maybe it's just a bit of fun?

And how was your trip?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash wrote:

Not sure. Maybe it's just a bit of fun?

And how was your trip?

Trip was ace. Scouted around various options on Sat. But ended up discovering that Carrefour de l'Arbre had a big screen set up so after a morning ride decided to avoid hassle of scooting between sectors and just hung out there. Good atmosphere with loads of drunk Belgians!
  • Cool! Is the screen outside the bar/café at the end of the section?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Daz555 wrote:
    Disc brakes? Feels to me like a shambles that it has taken road cycling so long to implement such a simple improvement.

Times must and always do change.

I've got disc brakes on my city bike, and I'll never go back. Bloody marvellous.

I'm not sure what the "beautiful simplicity of the perfected road bike" is though. The bike as we know it is mainly a product of the entirely artificial constraints on bike design that have been placed there by sporting bodies for close to a hundred years. If it isn't a diamond it isn't UCI legal, so don't bother innovating there. Why should it matter if there's a crossbar or not, or whether your saddle is completely horizontal, or what size your wheels are?

Yes, there's an argument that e.g. carbon monocoque designs were always going to be too expensive for the general public so race bike designs shouldn't use them, but top end innovation tends to filter down and get cheaper, eventually, and I can't afford a carbon fibre frame anyway .
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    Cool! Is the screen outside the bar/café at the end of the section?

"Restaurant Gastronomique" if you please... but yes, just at the point where they exit Sector 4 and turn to go onto Sector 3.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Cool! Is the screen outside the bar/café at the end of the section?

"Restaurant Gastronomique" if you please... but yes, just at the point where they exit Sector 4 and turn to go onto Sector 3.

Notes down for future reference. :D
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    When Aluminium bikes first came out people were worried they would snap in half. When carbon first came out there was the same worry. Aheadsets were "ugly", People moaned about electronic shifting, there was moaning about clipless pedals, people are moaning about discs. I imagine they moaned about the first metal rims when they were all riding wood... Cyclists don't like change but in 10 years you'll all be on discs and I will link back to this comment (If the bloomin' search function ever works)

I'm off to ride my Dogma K9 suspension with wireless SRAM groupset and hydraulic disc brakes... I wish!