Tomorrow's weather forecast, yikes.

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
BBC showing gusts of 46mph tonight and tomorrow in London.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Oh goody!

A calmer day to look forward to.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • hector88
    hector88 Posts: 44
    yep, not looking good up here either

sDeklLk.png
  • muttley_109
    muttley_109 Posts: 177
    Gusts of 40-50mph in Cardiff for my commute to work in the morning. Hopefuly I wont get blown off my bike and into the river like in Gent-Wevelgem!
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    hector88 wrote:
    yep, not looking good up here either

sDeklLk.png
    I think the BBC have picked up the speed of the wind gusts by mistake. Here's the corresponding Met Office forecast from which the BBC allegedly pick up their data.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weat ... /gcuvz3bch

Not exactly flip flops weather, but its only as bad as storms we've already had this winter.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Those are gusts. The main wind is shown above
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • First.Aspect
    Those are gusts. The main wind is shown above
    No, the BBC site doesn't show gusts. I'm a sculler and I cycle commute home to over 850ft, so I use the page *a lot*.

The top shows info representative of the day as a while (though its not clear sometimes exactly how) and the numbers along the bottom are suppsed to be average hour by hour numbers. The ones in black are wrong, the rest look okay.
  • bendertherobot
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    On the Atlantic coast at the moment, the trees are horizontal , with driving rain and only a mad man would try cycling in it. Walking is bad enough :o
  • First.Aspect
    Ah ha. I see that I've been confused by the BBC web developer's way of providing the information without it being confusing.

And I've retired to the air raid shelter for nothing.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Trees down here at boffin towers one right onto one of the chicken sheds of my neighbours farm
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bendertherobot
    Ah ha. I see that I've been confused by the BBC web developer's way of providing the information without it being confusing.

And I've retired to the air raid shelter for nothing.

Though, on the bright side, at least they are gusts!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    My commute is 25 miles east to west on my way in and 25 miles west to east home. Thinking I might drive in and cycle home full gas. Might be my best chance of doing it under the hour.
  • itboffin
    Judging by the noise my gaff tape letterbox bodge has failed, damned if I'm getting up and going out to fix it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Glad I'm not in the country!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • As someone with daily reminders of what happened to me in the awful weather from 23/12/2013, I really suggest another, safer mode of transport today. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Gusts of 63 in Amsterdam (according to the Beeb). I'm going to spend the day looking out of the window as I work in one of 3 towers with a busy bike route running between them: Formula 1 teams come here to test their cars. It's going to be messy!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Tubes are all massively delayed so bike in it is.
  • itboffin
    Winds over 70 all night, no sleep so car it is
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Completely over-hyped. Occasional strong gust that required a bit of effort to push through. But 20-30mph gusts are pretty normal for the commute, so 40 isn't much different. Even my wheelie bin stayed upright through the night......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Was fine.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    JZed wrote:
    Completely over-hyped. Occasional strong gust that required a bit of effort to push through. But 20-30mph gusts are pretty normal for the commute, so 40 isn't much different. Even my wheelie bin stayed upright through the night......
    Commute was fine. Bit blowy and tired legs made for an uninspiring journey but that was it.
    My wheelie bin fell over.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • A little bit character building, but bright and sunny. Had to bring the car yesterday, so no way I was doing it twice in a row.

The ride home should see me being like Lance with an extra shot.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    My trip took me West and then East, so a bit of extra effort on the way in but then good fun coming East, a little bit of SCR at 30+ for a mile or so and then sub 3min miles for the rest of the way; would have been faster but for traffic and lights.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Weather here has been unpredictable, at 7am I was ready to cycle in, blustery weather, no rain and road just a little damp, by 7:15 it was blowing a gale with very large raindrops hammering down (and I bottled it) when walking out to the car at 7:25 I kept being blow sideways, arrived at work at 7:45 in sunshine and mild breezes, but the wind keeps swapping to very strong gales from just blustery.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Yep, similar thing for me. Woke up to a howling gale and bottled the cycle. By the time I got in the car it seemed quite mild and nice.

By the time I got to Canary Wharf I was kicking myself for bottling the ride as it has calmed right down. Then I went out to get a coffee and was almost blown off my feet.

Given the conditions, I recon it's better to be safe than sorry. Do regret not getting to do the 35mph+ sprint down the Embankment though!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    seems to be picking up again, should be fairly quick across the park! hopefully be less strong by 8pm when i'm heading into the wind, one of the few real downside of the old MTB is it's like sailing....
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Was fine this morning, but then if I'm riding at 20mph with a 20mph tailwind I'd expect everything to feel pretty serene 8)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Came across the Severn Bridge this morning - surreal as it was closed to cars and I was doing 25-30 in a dead calm (= tail wind). Once the wind gusted round the struts it got a bit more dicey though, being suddenly hit by a sideways blast when you're next to a fifty foot drop into the sea (well, mud).

Going home's going to be much more of a crawl.
  • Was alright down here in the beautiful south, it was a tailwind mind - going home might be a tad slower.
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    it was not great in the night here in Notts and rain coming sideways with gusts when i woke up meant the car for me. traffic was awful and a big fire in radford meant my usual route was closed off and was late for work. i hate driving but must be sensible. dont want a 50mph gust pushing me into a car doing 60 later.

hopefully tomorrow will be ok?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014