Riding injured

sah682
sah682 Posts: 33
I was out walking the dog last weekend when he was running for his ball and went straight through my right leg. Doesn't sound much but he was running flat out and weighs nearly 40kg. Impact was on th calf/shin area

Bruising is now coming out and is between the knee and heal. Still some swelling in 1 area in particular and the leg puffs up towards the bottom during the day at work. Been to have it checked at a walk in centre and they have advised tissue damage.

Question is do I ride the Cheshire Cat on Sunday anyway and just accept the fact that the recovery will just take long.

Comments

• crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    MTFU.
  • Eebijeebi
    Eebijeebi Posts: 91
    And the reason you can't wait until Saturday night to decide? It's only Wednesday.
    Not sarcasm, just wondering.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You know the answer ;) injuries get worse if not properly rested. I'm currently out of it due to a back muscle injury - done nothing for nearly a week - going mental. But I know if I don't rest it properly and recovery slowly, I'll make it worse.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I trust you've been to the doctor with this insury to ensure that you've not broken something? If so what have they said?

If its not broken Sunday is still a long time away. I wouldn't make a decision until Sunday morning as anything could happen between now and then.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    sah682 wrote:
    Question is do I ride the Cheshire Cat on Sunday anyway and just accept the fact that the recovery will just take long.

Your choice.

Depends on how important this bike ride is to you.

See how you feel tomorrow and saturday, then make your decision. But it's only a bike ride and you have to weigh up whether you wanted to risk aggravating an injury and jeapordising more riding through spring.

I am sure we've all been there - and we have to make our own minds up. I've started to get a cold in the week leading up to something I had trained for nine months for, it was the sole goal for the season - of course I raced, of course I knew I was risking making things much worse (and indeed I was full of one of the worst coughs and colds I have ever had for three weeks). Did I regret it? Not one bit. Would I have regretted it if it were just another sportive/audax/ride with my mates - almost certainly.
  • Grifteruk
    Grifteruk Posts: 244
    MTFU :D - I rode 101 miles last Sunday with couple of cracked ribs - take the pain and you'll feel like a real man.

Or, if its painful, rest up and let it heal. You know your body and what it can/can't take.