Heart rate and fitness.

dilatory
dilatory Posts: 565
So I've been cycling seriously since January last year, at the end of last summer I competed in some TTs and later some hill climbs where my max HR crossing the line was around 195. I've hit this several times, it's the tunnel vision stage. I spent most of the winter doing turbo work on trainer road, and now I'm struggling to see my heart rate go over 185. I used a 10m TT to work out my LTHR and it put that around the 180s, so to not be able to head over 185 has ruined my old pacing, yet I'm faster still

The strangest thing is I am fitter and faster than ever, the early season crits I've hit 185 in the final sprints and come away with points. The early TTs I've struggled to hit the higher numbers I saw before too which has made pacing seem weird. When I go up the same hills I'm faster, but my HR is lower and my average speeds on the same are higher than ever.

Things I've read have said this is to do with having a strong aerobic base and needing to build up the power to match it again? Could it just be because it's so cold? Am I worth taking another LTHR test and just using that now until I start seeing higher numbers?

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Its normal. Stop worrying about it and keep riding.

As your CV system gets bigger and stronger then it also become more efficient. ie less bpm required for circulating the oxygen your muscles to perform. temperature can have an effect as your body doesn't need to work as hard to cool you via sweating etc when the weather is colder. Can you do a FTP test on trainer road using the virtual power ? I did one tonight - hurts like hell but gets you familiar with your body and its limits.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    It is not uncommon for maximum HR to become less as fitness improves.
    The heart's stroke-volume and strength of each contraction increases with training. So the total volume of blood flow is not reduced by a slower HR.

Getting the blood flow into the muscles is dependent on the capillary density of the muscles - and growing more capillaries takes time and training.

I wouldn't worry about you max HR being a little lower, it's not causing a problem and there isn't anything reasonable that can be done to increase it.
    If perhaps you are taking Beta-blocker drugs, those CAN reduce HR - and you should discuss the details with your physician.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Newlife
    Newlife Posts: 19
    Really glad you posted this as was hitting this forum to ask the same! End of last summer my max HR was 189 which I hit when going all out up some of the steep hills we have around our way. After a winter of lots of easy base miles I have have now been doing lots of Power Intervals but my max HR never seems to get above about 181 but mostly stays in the 170s. But like you my power is coming on nicely and I am becoming a stronger rider and am outperforming anything I could do last year. Not huge leaps but notable steps.

Pleased it is not just me but seems that we are both just getting fitter.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I rarely hit 180 whilst indoors or even during intervals outside now but I did a park run last month and my HR went straight to the 180's and then 185 (max) and sat there for 19 mins. Incredible really. There is no way that would of been possible on a bike. I wouldnt of had the power to move an inch I doubt!
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Max heart rate has virtually nothing to do with fitness. The less fit you are the smaller amount of effort you will have to exert to reach your heart rate.

How quickly your heart rate drops after large amount off effort is a better (but not perfect) measure of fitness.

Also, how low is your lowest resting heart rate? Mine ha droped >20 bpm since I got fit through cycing - was 51 when the hospital measured it a couple of weeks back.