Dwars door Vlaanderen 2015 *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• With concussion tests becoming more and more a part of sport, it can't be too long before a race doctor has to stop someone from riding on in a case like that.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SPTDW2048.jpg

Awful glasses
    SPTDW2044.jpg

SPTDW2004.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Quintana is forever positive.

“I felt good all day, and in the finale I tried to help my teammate Andrey [Amador] so he could be in front,” Quintana said after showering and changing aboard the Movistar bus. “With the crashes that others had, I didn’t want to take too many risks. But I feel good in this country, I enjoyed it and I think I’ll come back.”

“In the future, I’d certainly like to come back and do Paris-Roubaix, even though it’s obviously not a race that suits me,” Quintana said.

“I’m happy with today because it was a good experiment and today went better than I thought it would. My sensations on the cobbles were pretty normal. Sure, it was something different but I felt very good on them.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    No holding back here:
    Asked if he was surprised that Van Baarle failed to take a single turn once Wallays had escaped, Lefevere rounded on his opposite number in the Cannondale team car.

“You know who the sports director is? It’s Andreas Klier and he never won a race in his life. And we’ve seen why. I know he was looking at the world champion but how can you win a race if you’re not reacting?”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/etixx-q ... rs-outcome
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gent Wevelgem 2003 called and it wants a word with Lefevre
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Just saw Devolder's crash, yowch.

Must have been something on the road as that's the best bit of that road where him and Boom went down
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    emadden wrote:
    Not even an effort at an attack. Rides to 1km out and Wallays, as completely expected jumps. Then Kwiatkowski looks around for help to chase down.... DUMB DUMB DUMB

But if he'd closed it down on his own, he'd still have got fourth. Or maybe third. But Theuns and Van Baarle would have jumped him in the sprint.

I'm not sure what Van Baarle was thinking though, if he'd helped Kwiatkowski quickly close down Wallays he might have got better than third.

But well done to the two Topsport guys for making the race and getting the best possible result. Both of them should be on World Tour teams next year.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Gent Wevelgem 2003 called and it wants a word with Lefevre

:lol:

But, for once, Leferve has a point. Is it no wonder that Cannondale-Garmin are without a win so far this season when they ride like that?
  • andyp wrote:

:lol:

But, for once, Leferve has a point. Is it no wonder that Cannondale-Garmin are without a win so far this season when they ride like that?

Just watching it now

You're right, its like he's never been at the sharp end of a bike race before. Who needs that win more, the current World Champ or some guy on a team that never wins? That he had the gall to sprint for 2nd as well is amazing. If you're not bothered on 1st what good is second?!

@gietvangent
  • I don't know why but Wallays reminds me of a young Eddy Merckx, in terms of appearance (and minus the sideburns)

I thought it at Paris Tours
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

After the line crashes? :wink:
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I don't know why but Wallays reminds me of a young Eddy Merckx, in terms of appearance (and minus the sideburns)

I thought it at Paris Tours

Yeah, slighly chubby with tremendous power and an insouciant swagger to go with it. Post race interview was good, saying he belongs on a bigger team.
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_nlrqqrAzFa1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg
    'a' missing?!
    tumblr_nlsojp7OQZ1r4o0yso2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nlsojp7OQZ1r4o0yso1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    tumblr_nlsojp7OQZ1r4o0yso2_1280.jpg
    The FF Trinity: the banner, the pony and the holy 'my-man'.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    andyp wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    Not even an effort at an attack. Rides to 1km out and Wallays, as completely expected jumps. Then Kwiatkowski looks around for help to chase down.... DUMB DUMB DUMB

But if he'd closed it down on his own, he'd still have got fourth. Or maybe third. But Theuns and Van Baarle would have jumped him in the sprint.

I'm not sure what Van Baarle was thinking though, if he'd helped Kwiatkowski quickly close down Wallays he might have got better than third.

But well done to the two Topsport guys for making the race and getting the best possible result. Both of them should be on World Tour teams next year.

I was a bit grumpy yesterday, but essentially I thought it was completely dumb for Kwiatkowski to ride with the TSV guys right to the last KM. He should've tried to give them the jump a few Kms earlier. They were always going to do a 1-2. In the end, all they had to do was make one jump by Wallays. Van Baarle, similarly should've had a pop unless his legs were spent. All in all, Kwiatkowski looked incredibly amateur there. Of course the other hypothesis is that he was paid off.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Van Baarle has explained his actions in an article on Cycling News. He appears to be suggesting that he didn't need to chase because he won the Tour of Britain last year. At least that's all i got from the incoherant babbling.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • frenchfighter
    dwarsdoor15-boom-big.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Looks like there was something shiney on the road where they went down. The camera moto went down as well.

So disappointed, must have been lots of fines handed out. Not one rider on the cobbles (more than a few meters). What's the point in having them in the race when no one rides them. Joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqwOypWatA

English highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpOb85SNwd8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited March 2015
    This is from Van Baarle:

“Kwiatkowski knew me from the Tour of Britain. Today I proved that my victory in the Tour of Britain wasn’t a one-off shot,”

“In the Tour of Britain I beat two world champions, two weeks ahead of the World Championships so they couldn’t say they weren’t well prepared."

“I beat the world champion in the sprint but I’m third. I hoped for more but I can be pleased with this result,"

"Today I was lucky enough to be in the decisive move. I’ve got the future, he’s got the experience."

Bizarre.

Does anyone know who the IAM rider is at 1:46? He looks very hurt.

https://youtu.be/RMaHep0vjSI
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CBCS9XRUMAAmMSD.jpg

Marcel Aregger ‏@Maesi_Aregger · 1h1 hour ago
    I forgot everything what happened yesterday...BUT i will #NeverForget what @RudiSelig did for me!!! #THANKYOU #Idol
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Wow that is a powerful photo. Nasty nasty crash.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    sjmclean wrote:
    This is from Van Baarle:

“Kwiatkowski knew me from the Tour of Britain. Today I proved that my victory in the Tour of Britain wasn’t a one-off shot,”

“In the Tour of Britain I beat two world champions, two weeks ahead of the World Championships so they couldn’t say they weren’t well prepared."

“I beat the world champion in the sprint but I’m third. I hoped for more but I can be pleased with this result,"

"Today I was lucky enough to be in the decisive move. I’ve got the future, he’s got the experience."

Bizarre.
    Are we sure it was just Devolder who was concussed?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    CBCS9XRUMAAmMSD.jpg

Marcel Aregger ‏@Maesi_Aregger · 1h1 hour ago
    I forgot everything what happened yesterday...BUT i will #NeverForget what @RudiSelig did for me!!! #THANKYOU #Idol

Great photo and very very good on Rudi Selig. Hope it shows people that it's just a sport and there are more important things in the world than a bike race.

That highlight reel really shows what a wet and messy classic can be like. 8 days to the RVV sportive guys! :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Boom was very impressive before he crashed.

Missed the move but was the strongest guy in the race up until he crashed.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    Being impressive after missing the move is Boom's trademark.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It seems like any time the race is around 200km or less and in tricky conditions Boom is a top contender. If the race is over 250km and in normal conditions he seems to fall short.
  • frenchfighter
    arnuf wrote:
    Being impressive after missing the move is Boom's trademark.

Exactly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    XtYPfXB.jpg
    DA chainset compared to this at MSR:
    9-CAVENDISH-Mark005p-2.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest