Pulled Hamstring

ilav84
ilav84 Posts: 124
Pulled my hamstring last night. Felt the pop while sprinting after a fella at gaelic training. Very sore today and finding it hard to walk etc. So I am thinking it is at least a grade 2. I have experience of this before and know i was usually able to get back playing gaelic after 6 - 8 weeks. But that was before I was cycling and never tried to cycle during the rehab.

Has anyone any experience of this and when they were able to get back on the bike again? I know everyones situation is different but is there a rough guideline of when they were roughly able to get back on the bike. A grade 1 i would be able to get back cycling in a few days but this was a proper pull!

I am going to Tenerife in 2 weeks and would love to be able to try and cycle mt teide. The main worry though, is that it is going to be a 8 - 12 week job! I am doing La Marmotte in July. That would basically rule me out for that event! I wouldnt have enough miles at that stage and couldn't go to France underprepared for it.

Comments

• ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    I would leave it a couple of weeks for sure, as the hamstrings are an important muscle group when cycling.
    I'm currently struggling through a hamstring injury that doesn't seem to want to go away, it's been nearly 8 weeks now. I don't think mine was as severe as yours either, as I definitely didn't hear a pop or anything sudden, it just was quite sore after a ride.
  • ilav84
    Do you race or anything? I was going to do a bit of racing or TTs but I think I will leave that now and concentrate fully on La Marmotte. If I was racing then I would be putting more strain on the hamstring. Whereas sportives I could cycle more in zone 2 and just try to build up saddle time. I am worried this will hamster the preparations for La Marmotte though. 2 days ago now and still limping so it is definitely pulled. Frustrating.
  • ror3h
    I don't race but I've booked a week long trip to the Alps in june! I've been keeping everything very easy since it happened, and definitely feel like I've lost a lot of fitness. I think I'd recommend staying off the bike until the pain goes away, then slowly build up the miles/intensity with a few strengthening excercises and gentle stretches. That's what I've tried to do, but it feels like it's taking forever.
  • ilav84
    Was at the physio tonight there, he races with my club so he knows the demands of cycling etc. Definitely a torn hamstring. 8-12 weeks out of football. Not worried though. Thing that's me finished with gaelic i'd say! Too many injuries!!

The good news is, he had me on the turbo trainer tonight. Very gentle spinning the legs. No pain really, just a bit uncomfortable. As soon as I step off the turbo the pain starts again!! So at the minute I can't walk but I can gently spin away on the turbo, strange. He did say Tenerife might be ok for a bit of light cycling but he's not as confident as tackling teide!!

I am going to spend the spare time away from gaelic working in the gym and trying to lose weight and muscle that I don't need now. No gaelic also means I get an extra day on the weekends for long spins and also a couple of nights during the week for cycling. It could work out ok in the end!!
  • ror3h
    Glad to hear you aren't too down about it!
    I've been able to ride ok too, albeit at a much reduced pace. Anything more than a gentle spin and I can definitely feel it afterwards. I'm on my feet all day at work though, that seems to aggrevate it more than an easy 20 mile spin. It's been 8 or 9 weeks though now and it's doing my head in! Hope your recovery is swift.