Flu Like symptoms after punishing sessions.

peddlingmadness
peddlingmadness Posts: 151
The title kind of sums it up. I started doing sessions at Max heart rate a few weeks back and quite simply I'm experiencing flu like symptoms sometimes before I've even got home. (headache, sore throat, shivering) I've googled it and the results come back with chronic fatigue which seems to be an ongoing long term problem but, I know its just down to pushing it hard in training as I'm ok the next day. My questions is, does anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    You'd need to give a lot more information before anyone (preferably a doctor) could reliably suggest what is going on.

Chronic fatigue isn't an illness; it's just fatigue that has gone on for a long time. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an illness. The difference is crucial.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Zingzang wrote:
    You'd need to give a lot more information before anyone (preferably a doctor) could reliably suggest what is going on.

Chronic fatigue isn't an illness; it's just fatigue that has gone on for a long time. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an illness. The difference is crucial.

i didnt read it as the op thinks he has CF, rather that he understands what CF is.... and he hasnt got it.

tbh why dont you go and see your GP ?
    no one here can assess your issues, you may have some cardio problem or your pushing too hard too soon, either way get yourself checked out.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    mamba80 wrote:
    i didnt read it as the op thinks he has CF, rather that he understands what CF is.... and he hasnt got it.
    He'd have to show us the page he was looking at to be sure.
  • Thanks fellas, I know its not CF as the symptoms only happen after a real hard session most of the time i'm 100% and feeling great (well great for a middle aged man) Not something I wanted to bother the doctor with as he'd just say ease up a little. I think I'm basically trying to assure myself that I wasn't the only one and its just something that happens when you push the body to the limits.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Not something I wanted to bother the doctor with as he'd just say ease up a little.

I don't think anyone needs to be a doctor to tell you that.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Not so much flu like symptoms but common cold like symptoms. I'm always sneezing and with a running nose etc after a hard ride. As you say I'm fine the next day too.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Overreaching.
    I'd regard it as not normal, I'm afraid... but your training regime is your own responsibility unless you call on the services of a coach.
  • Has the OP defined what his 'punishing sessions' consist of yet?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Has the OP defined what his 'punishing sessions' consist of yet?
    No idea, but exertion is all relative anyways... one could deduce that the OP is not as fit as he may think he is... hence the desire to push too hard, too soon.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would get yourself checked out to be sure. Being middle aged as well I find having a demanding job and also the normal "pleasures" life can throw at you can take it out of my cycling performance some times. Eating fairly healthily and getting enough rest / sleep solve most things for me.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    How long are these sessions and do you consume anything pre- or post session? Some of those symptoms match Hypoglycaemia. Worth getting the doc to check you for diabetes too.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I vote for not normal too. But yes what are the sessions you're doing.

How long ? How often ? What intensity ? What's your history ?
  • Sorry for slow reply been away for a few days working.. I'm doing power intervals, 3 x (3 x 3) with 3 min rest between breaks and 5 mins between sessions (that's 27 mins) on a 6% local hill, My max heart rate is 178 and I'm keeping each 3 min session above 170bpm, Been cycling for 30 years, Crit's, TT's, Hill Climbs, no history of heart problems, in fact apart from a few beaks no other medical history. I've upped my carb (sugar) intake before the last session on Sunday and felt better so it could just be that.. Thanks for the replies, will look at some of the info regarding hypoglycaemia and diabetes and see if anything matches.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If your true MHR is 178 then I'm impressed that you can do >170 for 9 mins. (Or am i Misunderstanding ?)

I make that 96% of MHR ?

Are you sure your max is valid ?

How often are you doing these ?
  • Hi Cougie

Was tested at the endurance store back in November for max heart rate. I spent most of winter then doing endurance miles (very dull) I then started the experienced century program by Chris Cartmichael. The above 170 for 9 mins is not in one go, its 1 minute in every 3, in a 9 min session over 3 sessions in the same ride with a 5 min break between sessions. So that works out at 9 mins in a 27 minute period above 170. The other 18 minutes I have to keep my heart rate above 163 which doesn't feel that bad in comparison. I'm on week 4 out of 11 so not sure how good the program is yet I just know its hard, well hard for me anyway.. I hope you understand the above as it took me some time understanding it before I put it into practice.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I had this problem for ages. After intense exercise (particularly running decent distances) I would get a feeling in my throat like a cold was coming on. Sometimes it would pass, other times it would end up as a cold that lasted a few days.

I read up on it and came to the conclusion the exercise was depleting my immune system to the point that just about anything was making me ill.

The solution was pretty simple, eat as much as possible post-exericse, Ilots and lots of fruit is good.
  • Hi Pastryboy

I agree 100% I'm very guilty of not eating enough before, during and after exercise. usually because I've pushed my luck with time and I'm late for Work, taking the kids somewhere, walking the dog who's legs are crossed. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I felt light headed with headache. Lesson learned I'm now eating a lot more carbs and glucose and now have a protein shake after workout before running off to do something else.

Thanks
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    The other thing is hypothermia - but more an issue on long endurance rides where the body gets used to running hot and shedding heat for a long time. As soon as you stop, within a few minutes you will be shivering like crazy even in the summer as the body temp drops.

If its temporary - its unlikely to be immunity.