11-40t 10 speed cassette

2»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    'Only' the 11t? That's massive and moves all the ratios the other way for your top gear if needed. Means you might need to go bigger on the front thus making going bigger in the rear less. Especially if you use a cassette that goes 11-13-15......
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    That's pretty much what I said in my second paragraph. Now if you were to modify an 11-36 to a 13-40 the highest:lowest ratio would be 3.08:1 - so you've shelled out all that money to lower your spread of gears by 6%. A cheaper option would be to get an 11-34 with a spread ratio of 3.09:1
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Any of the expanders allow you to remove the 11, it's just stupid to do so for the reasons discussed above. You also need a different lockring - which AB do. It's not their expander that's special.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    njee20 wrote:
    Nowt special about the Absolute Black expander, they just do a lockring if you want to remove the 11t. Hope, Superstar, Wolftooth etc all do expanders which work in exactly the same way.

note the question I answered.
    Giraffoto wrote:
    The best option I've seen for this is the one where you add the extra sprocket behind the cassette and sacrifice the 11T top. Can't remember who makes it, does anyone know what I'm talking about (here, not in general) and can they provide a link?

Hope, Superstar, Wolftooth etc don't make a 13t lockring.
  • poah
    njee20 wrote:
    Any of the expanders allow you to remove the 11, it's just stupid to do so for the reasons discussed above. You also need a different lockring - which AB do. It's not their expander that's special.

its not stupid if you don't actually use your 11t sprocket.
  • njee20
    Fit a smaller chainring then. It's stupid because you're reducing the spread of your cassette. An 11-36 has a 227% range, a 13-40 has a 206% range. Counterproductive.

But you'll look cool being fat and unfit with your daft 1x10 setup at least!
  • Giraffoto
    I should perhaps clarify things a bit here - the reason I like the Absolute Black solution is that it leaves you with an evenly spaced set of gear ratios, which removing one from the middle of the block can't do. If you decide to do what I once contemplated and go from a triple to a 1x setup, you can avoid the expense of a new crankset by shedding the inner and outer rings and making your cassette a bit bigger
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • njee20
    You could of course just shed your inner and outer rings and stick with the ordinary cassette, giving you a wider range than fitting an adapter. May need to MTFU a bit if you're unfit.
  • Giraffoto
    njee20 wrote:
    You could have course [OF course?] just shed your inner and outer rings and stick with the ordinary cassette, giving you a wider range than fitting an adapter. May need to MTFU a bit if you're unfit.

Thanks for the advice, but this is all moot for me anyway - I like my close and evenly spaced gears too much, and have a 2x10 setup with an 11-32 cassette. But in the spirit of being helpful . . .
    If you're determined to do it, like evenly spaced ratios, already have an 11-36 cassette where the second cog is a 12 and don't use the 11T much, I'd still suggest the Absolute Black version as the way to go for a slightly increased range of gears
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    njee20 wrote:
    Fit a smaller chainring then. It's stupid because you're reducing the spread of your cassette. An 11-36 has a 227% range, a 13-40 has a 206% range. Counterproductive.

But you'll look cool being fat and unfit with your daft 1x10 setup at least!

better than looking gay with a 29er and lycra

its not about the range, its about the ratios - an 11-36 does have the ratios that a 13-40 does. just for information I run an 11-36 cassette with no expander
  • njee20
    already have an 11-36 cassette where the second cog is a 12

A SRAM one then.
    better than looking gay with a 29er and lycra

Your impressive maturity seemingly knows no bounds. Closet homosexual in denial I presume?
    an 11-36 does have the ratios that a 13-40 does

You mean doesn't? Still don't get why you don't keep the better range cassette and fit a smaller chainring. If you need smaller than a 30 then either get a spiderless chainset, or I'd question whether a single ring is the right for you.
  • Giraffoto
    njee20 wrote:
    If you need smaller than a 30 . . . I'd question whether a single ring is the right for you.

A very good point!
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    njee20 wrote:

Your impressive maturity seemingly knows no bounds. Closet homosexual in denial I presume?
    njee20 wrote:
    But you'll look cool being fat and unfit with your daft 1x10 setup at least

only coming down to your level
    njee20 wrote:
    You mean doesn't? Still don't get why you don't keep the better range cassette and fit a smaller chainring. If you need smaller than a 30 then either get a spiderless chainset, or I'd question whether a single ring is the right for you.

re-read my post, I run an 11-36 cassette.
  • njee20
    only coming down to your level

Hardly. If you're fit why would you make the compromise on cassette? I realise that's subjective. You just chucked 'hilarious' insults about.
    re-read my post, I run an 11-36 cassette.

Don't flatter yourself, I wasn't talking about you, merely using "you" because writing "one" sounds a bit pompous.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    you can also keep the 11 36 cassette and a 34T front...
    and fit the 22T on you crank and drop the chain by hand when ever you feel you need some extra grind up a long climb, the 22T only weigh a few grams so wont notice :lol:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Giraffoto
    Herdwick wrote:
    you can also keep the 11 36 cassette and a 34T front...
    and fit the 22T on you crank and drop the chain by hand when ever you feel you need some extra grind up a long climb, the 22T only weigh a few grams so wont notice :lol:

The first road doubles required this technique too, the only difference being that the change is made "by foot" at the point in the climb where you need it. The "by hand" bit might still be necessary to get back on the big ring
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • poah
    njee20 wrote:

Hardly. If you're fit why would you make the compromise on cassette? I realise that's subjective. You just chucked 'hilarious' insults about.

like I said I came down to your level after you went with the name calling because you were shown to be wrong :wink:
    njee20 wrote:
    Don't flatter yourself, I wasn't talking about you, merely using "you" because writing "one" sounds a bit pompous.

backtracking now that you've been shown to be an ass :lol:
  • njee20
    I'd sooner not waste my battery on you, but how exactly was I shown to be wrong?

It scares me that someone who thinks 'gay' is a funny insult has been allowed to procreate. No hope for the future generation.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why would Shimano and SRAM develop a new 10 speed 11-40t mech and cassette combination instead of just trickling down 11 speed to lower groupsets?
    It would make no sense. Developing the new 10 speed kit would be no cheaper than developing cheaper 11 speed components.
    I cant find it now but I remember reading an interview with Shimanos senior designer where he was asked if they would make a 11-40t cassette to compete with the expander kits, his response was a very definite no.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Well, back to the original product, if it comes out before my current cassette and expander needs replacing I'd definately buy it. Even if it's 10-20 quid more than buying an expander and a decent cassette, if it is more coherant and shifts better it would be worth it.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Why would Shimano and SRAM develop a new 10 speed 11-40t mech and cassette combination instead of just trickling down 11 speed to lower groupsets?
    It would make no sense. Developing the new 10 speed kit would be no cheaper than developing cheaper 11 speed components.
    I cant find it now but I remember reading an interview with Shimanos senior designer where he was asked if they would make a 11-40t cassette to compete with the expander kits, his response was a very definite no.

I know they said they wouldn't want one but there was no need for them too, they weren't loosing sales because of expander rings as their cassettes were still bought.

Do you think they'll still say the same if they start loosing a considerable amount of sales due to other manufacturers creating wide range complete cassettes?

As for 11 speed, it certainly will trickle down but remember 9 speed is still popular and bikes are also still being sold with 8 speed so I'm fairly confident there will be a decent market for these cassettes
  • Ferrals
    Looks like praxis might be bringing this to market a bit late!

sram trickle down 11 speed:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-gx-groupset-first-look-43941/
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Ferrals wrote:
    Looks like praxis might be bringing this to market a bit late!

sram trickle down 11 speed:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-gx-groupset-first-look-43941/

Possibly, but that would mean more than just a cassette. 10 speed won't die for a while
  • Ferrals
    No I agree really, just thought it worthy of a post. Especially given the need for a new rear hub
  • njee20
    Freehub body, if you've got a decent hub you'll be able to change it. Still an additional expense admittedly, but not as drastic as a new hub for most.

Not a bad price, £115 for the cassette still isn't 'cheap' however you spin it, but it is good value, and I'd guess the box shifters will get it down to £90 or so, which feels a lot more palatable.
  • Ferrals
    I didn't realise that, but you're right, just need the body with the dt350s I've got. If it's available by the time I need a new cassette I might be tempted to splash out!
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    looks like the 1x11 is getting cheaper guys...
    gx from sram
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • njee20
    Herdwick wrote:
    looks like the 1x11 is getting cheaper guys...
    gx from sram

Yes, that's what we've been discussing for the last half a dozen posts since someone linked to it... :?