Asthma and bad back advice

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
Am working (slowly) towards getting fit for the Pru Ride London, but am asthmatic (exercise-induced, typical) and also have a lower back problem which has flared up again.

Anyone got any top tips for dealing with either/both problems?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I get both those problems but they don't stop me cycling and running.

Exercise-induced wheeziness is an issue when I go fell racing, which is considerably harder on my lungs than cycling, particularly in the cold air of winter. I use Ventolin inhalers to keep it under control. I see a lot of runners taking a couple of puffs, like me, before a race and afterwards. After a tough race, I will be coughing up phlegm and be a bit wheezy for the next day or so but Ventolin calms it down.

I'm also prone to back pain. It can wake me up in the morning after a night's sleep and can also come on after doing heavy lifting or similar manual work in the garden. I find a daily session of core strength exercises - just five minutes when I get up in the morning - works wonders. If I leave off the exercies for a few days, my back pain in bed comes back.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    What excercises do you do for the 5 mins in the morning? I've been looking into it myself but can't find anything with provides any structure to it, just "you could do this or this or this" and doesn't say how many or how long for etc.

(Sitting here at work with back pain still after cycling on Sunday :( )
  • mercia_man
    I do a combination of exercises I have cobbled together from running and cycling guides, yoga moves and my wife's pilates classes. They basically involve improving flexibility and the strength of the muscles in my abdomen and lower back. Most of them came from a pull-out Guardian guide by runner Jo Pavey many years ago.

They include sit-ups, slowly bending down to touch my toes, slowly raising and lowering one or two legs in various combinations while lying on my back.
  • mercia_man
    I've just Googled Jo Pavey and core exercises and there's several articles on the internet, including that stuff I saw in the Guardian which seems to have been published in 2009. I don't bother doing all the exercises but it gives an idea. I find the ones that do the trick for my back pain are the ones that I can feel working my muscles in abdomen and lower back such as bridging, sit-ups (not using a Swiss ball like Jo) and alternating leg extensions, doing seven to 10 of each exercise.
  • markhewitt1978
    Thanks! I'll give it a look!
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I've got Asthma plus some minor lung damage, and a fair amount wrong with the back.

Mostly my Asthma is triggered by cold air, mold, dust and pollen. If I know it's going to be cold when I'm cycling, I quite often have a puff before I start.

Over the years have tried various things with the back. Stretching and exercise to have the strength for good posture are the things that work best for me. I've recently started Yoga to try and stop any further operations and that really has made a big difference. The stretching helps with the various over tightened muscles, and the poses help with the postural strength
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I have asthma and smoked for many, many years. I also have a slipped disc confirmed by MRI.
    Ventolin is something I have been using more of lately. The disc flares up every now and again.

I find cycling helps both the back and the Asthma.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Are all you asthmatics using a steroid inhaler regularly ?
    Poor control is very often due to relying only on ventolin. Much better to keep the underlying disease under control.
  • mercia_man
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Poor control is very often due to relying only on ventolin. Much better to keep the underlying disease under control.

Ventolin is not a steroid. It comes in a blue puffer, contains salbutamol and is used as a short-term reliever to clear the airways. You just use it when needed, not on a regular basis. I normally get through one or two puffers a year. Some people are prescribed steroid inhalers, I think they come in red or brown puffers, and these are used daily. I have no experience of those.

I don't have any underlying disease. What happens is that my airways close up and restrict breathing. When I was a child, this was an allergic reaction triggered by things like house dust. I have not suffered with this type of asthma in adult life. Like the OP, my wheeziness can be triggered by exercise. In my case, extreme uphill fell running, particularly in cold weather, sets me off. This is kept under control by a puff of Ventolin, making sure I warm up properly before a race and wearing a Buff round my neck.
  • markhewitt1978
    Personally I take two puffs of green and brown inhalers (no idea what they're called) twice a day which keeps my symptoms in check. Then a single puff of blue before I set out.

Even so I'm quite often short of breath for the first 15 minutes of a ride, but a short rest after that and I'm good for the next however many hours.

The problems can come that evening if I'm still tired.
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    SecretSam wrote:
    Am working (slowly) towards getting fit for the Pru Ride London, but am asthmatic (exercise-induced, typical) and also have a lower back problem which has flared up again.

Anyone got any top tips for dealing with either/both problems?
    on the asthma front mate its all about controlling it which somebody above mentioned . I'm on the red symbicort inhaler with 2 inhalations in the morning and 2 at night and never really have a problem with my asthma.i too suffer from the EIA but now i use the symbicort and do it religiously never any problems unless i have the flu etc which puts me down....but who doesnt it put down.

go to the doctors and ask them about it,after a few weeks of treatment you wont know your living it'll be a complete turnaround,was for me anyhow.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Mad_Malx
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Ventolin is not a steroid. It comes in a blue puffer, contains salbutamol and is used as a short-term reliever to clear the airways. You just use it when needed, not on a regular basis. I normally get through one or two puffers a year. Some people are prescribed steroid inhalers, I think they come in red or brown puffers, and these are used daily. I have no experience of those.

I don't have any underlying disease. What happens is that my airways close up and restrict breathing. When I was a child, this was an allergic reaction triggered by things like house dust. I have not suffered with this type of asthma in adult life. Like the OP, my wheeziness can be triggered by exercise. In my case, extreme uphill fell running, particularly in cold weather, sets me off. This is kept under control by a puff of Ventolin, making sure I warm up properly before a race and wearing a Buff round my neck.

You misunderstand. I know ventolin is not a steroid. Many people don't take steroids when they should, and end up overusing their bronchdilator (eg ventolin). This will not control the underlying disease in asthma, which is inflammation of the airways. The attacks become more frequent and the ventolin less effective.
    If you only use 2 ventolin inhalers a year this isn't likely to be a problem for you though.
  • mercia_man
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

You misunderstand. I know ventolin is not a steroid. Many people don't take steroids when they should, and end up overusing their bronchdilator (eg ventolin). This will not control the underlying disease in asthma, which is inflammation of the airways. The attacks become more frequent and the ventolin less effective.
    If you only use 2 ventolin inhalers a year this isn't likely to be a problem for you though.

Oh, I see what you mean now. Ventolin works well for me, particularly as I no longer have the terrifying full-blown asthma attacks I used to have as a child and teenager (I'm now 62). All I get now is a touch of wheeziness after a hard race or following a cold. Although house dust still sets me off sneezing and eyes streaming.

The OP should be reassured that asthma is no bar to doing sport. I'm sure I've read that there is a higher propertion of elite athletes with asthma than the general population. Proper control is the key. Look at the success of asthmatics like Paula Radcliffe. My wheeziness has not stopped me winning fell and road running titles for my age group.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mercia Man wrote:
    The OP should be reassured that asthma is no bar to doing sport. I'm sure I've read that there is a higher propertion of elite athletes with asthma than the general population. Proper control is the key. Look at the success of asthmatics like Paula Radcliffe. My wheeziness has not stopped me winning fell and road running titles for my age group.

Absolutely - the following are widely reported to be asthmatics:
    Paula Radcliffe
    Darren Gough
    Austin Healey
    David Beckham
    Justine Henin
    Rebecca Adlington
    and Chris Froome of course.

I know a few who still subscribe to the 'keep away from sport' philosophy for themselves and, most worryingly, their offspring.

There is a lot of misunderstandings about inhaled steroids - (eg beclomethasone, budesonide etc). Used correctly, they are pretty safe. Their action is completely different to anabolic steroids (eg testosterone, nandralone ..) and there is very little evidence for ergogenic activity, beyond allowing people to participate who would otherwise be ill (Nicole Cooke please note).
  • secretsam
    The other thing for us puffer types is to use the damn things properly - I had an asthma review with the local Asthma nurse the other day, and my technique was utter carp. As a result, the meds weren't really doing the job. Sort out my technique and my peak flow (how much I can 'blow' ie lung capacity) should go up.

But bad back now diagnosed as Sciatica. Which is frankly not good.

• markhewitt1978
    SecretSam wrote:
    The other thing for us puffer types is to use the damn things properly - I had an asthma review with the local Asthma nurse the other day, and my technique was utter carp. As a result, the meds weren't really doing the job. Sort out my technique and my peak flow (how much I can 'blow' ie lung capacity) should go up.

Same for me, I thought I was a dab hand at the inhaler thing, turns out not so, I wasn't tiling my head back and I was inhaling far too quickly.

I did do a peak flow test and I the needle thing went about 95% of the way to the top, she seemed to think that was good.
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    Mercia Man, have you tried taking an antihistamine tablet every day as regards the house dust issue? I do, and it does help a lot. Cheap ones, dont have to be the real expensive ones.
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    SecretSam wrote:

I got issued with an aero chamber when i was diagnosed asthmatic. if you havent got one, ask your GP to issue you with one, then the spray will work a lot better as you will inhale a mist, rather than a blast straight into your throat.
  • mercia_man
    reds99 wrote:
    Mercia Man, have you tried taking an antihistamine tablet every day as regards the house dust issue? I do, and it does help a lot. Cheap ones, dont have to be the real expensive ones.

When I was young and used to suffer really badly from hay fever, I was prescribed Piriton. It worked OK but made me sleepy. I was later prescribed nasal sprays which I found more effective and didn't make me sleepy. Now I'm older, my hay fever, like my asthma, is diminished considerably. I occasionally use over-the-counter Beconase or similar spray. House dust does still set me off. I discovered recently that the cause was dust trapped in the internal vanes in our bedroom radiator. As soon as the central heating came on at 6.30am, I started sneezing. My wife found a thin radiator cleaning brush at Lakeland - no more sneezing and I can have a lie-in!
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    For all the hayfever sufferers i was told that if you buy locally produced honey from your area and take a spoonful everyday that it will seriously reduce the effects of hayfever....not sure how accurate that is as I'm not a sufferer but he said it was to do with the local bees and pollen.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    My tips for asthma:

Keep your house tidy and avoid allergens (even if it is only exercise induced asthma); stay on top of your preventer medication (if you are prescribed it. If not and you feel it would help, have a word with your GP or asthma nurse); take the prescribed dose of your reliever 20 mins before each ride; don't be afraid to take your reliever with you on rides; have a 10 minute warm up for each ride. Asthma UK has plenty of info.

For hayfever, I can relate to the ingestion of local honey; I used to suffer from terrible hayfever but over the past year or two it has got much better. This coincides with having local honey every day. However, I wouldn't feel confident in saying this is the sole cause of a less severe reaction. I don't think it can hurt though, honey is pretty damn tasty.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • markhewitt1978
    olake92 wrote:
    ; don't be afraid to take your reliever with you on rides;.

Don't know why anyone would be afraid. Although I rarely have to use it, my blue inhaler comes everywhere with me, including on rides.
  • mikpem
    mikpem Posts: 139
    olake92 wrote:

Don't know why anyone would be afraid. Although I rarely have to use it, my blue inhaler comes everywhere with me, including on rides.

I take mine with me for cyclocross races, I've lost the lid, have to hose it out after every race and have on a couple of occasions taken a puff mid-race only to be blasted with a mouth full of grit.

Definitely worth taking it with you though.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    olake92 wrote:

Don't know why anyone would be afraid.

Sorry, just a figure of speech. To be honest, despite my quite severe asthma, I don't take mine on training rides (much to the despair of my girlfriend) and admit that I should. I make do with some puffs before the ride. I do always make sure it's in the team car at races though.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • secretsam
    Same for me, I thought I was a dab hand at the inhaler thing, turns out not so, I wasn't tiling my head back and I was inhaling far too quickly.

I did do a peak flow test and I the needle thing went about 95% of the way to the top, she seemed to think that was good.

In fact, you and I are the same person!!!!!!! :D

• secretsam
    For all the hayfever sufferers i was told that if you buy locally produced honey from your area and take a spoonful everyday that it will seriously reduce the effects of hayfever....not sure how accurate that is as I'm not a sufferer but he said it was to do with the local bees and pollen.

PS: got a feeling that science has proved this to be utter horlicks