Can't sleep after a long ride

rc856
rc856 Posts: 1,144
Hi folks,

Not sure if I'm in the right place.
Anyway...recently after long/hard rides I get home and feel tired and sleepy come bed time but I just can't sleep at all. I was still awake at 4.30am this morning!!
This is quite a recent thing so could it be down to gels?

I've been on plenty of hard rides over the years without problems. Someone mentioned cortisol that your body produces? Again, it would always have been doing this?
If anyone has had this, is there anything I can do/take to get the body to wind down?

I use CNP gels if that helps.

Cheers

Comments

• Caffeine gels ?

At the moment, after an early ride, I spend the afternoon like a zombie, but start to wake about 8pm.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • rc856
    Yeah, they are caffeine but I've used caffeine gels before.
    Maybe I haven't appreciated how much CNP use? I'll also stop using them ages before I'm home as well.
    Yesterday I would've had the last one by 4pm.
  • Dehydration - In the same way alcohol wakes you up in the middle of the night make sure you drink pints of water in the evening. Also +1 for the caffeine gels, I can't even have a cup of tea after 6 pm anymore let alone a caffeine gel whilst riding..!
  • rc856
    Cheers.
    Feels like a right noob question after reading the replies :oops: but guess it's because I've been fine previously!
  • reds99
    reds99 Posts: 46
    Im sure i read somewhere if you cant sleep at night, you have overdone it.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Avoid the caffeine after 3pm, and try taking 1 aspirin or ibuprofen tablet about 30 minutes before bed time.
    You might also try homeopathic 'sleep aids'.

If you wake-up 'alert' in the middle of the night, try the same.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Dknt take caffine. I dont drink tea after 8pm unless it is decaff but tonight i picked the wrong bag i am far too alert now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Post exercise high - its common. Partly due to the flood of chemicals pumped in to you to assist you running from whatever your body thought you were running from or chasing after.

The primitive brain doesn't really get the concept of exercise. Some starchy/carby food should do the trick. Tells the body the hunt is over.