Santa Cruz Nomad quandary

2»

Comments

• tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Ok I had a mad moment today and decided to sack it all off and save the money, I eventually bought something..... And Orange 5.

I surfed ebay looking and came across one, I bartered a little and I will pick it,up next week. It's for the wife but I did love my 2008 5 so it'll bring back memories.

If I do go with a new one in the future it will be either the Nomad or a Canyon Strive..

5 spec below

2012 matte grey Orange five
    Mavic 26" rims front and back
    Superstar hubs front and back
    Maxxis minions DH front and back (good tread)tubeless
    Rockshox revolution dual air 150mm forks 2012 (serviced this week)
    Cane creek headset
    Thompson direct mount
    Burgtec wide flat bars
    Shimano XT brakes
    Shimano XT shifter
    Shimano zee rear derailer
    Goldtec single chain ring converted
    E13 chain guide
    10x gears
    Fox air shock kashima coated 150mm
    KS remote dropper post 150mm
    Hope seat clamp
    Chase saddle
    Shimano XT crank arms and bottom bracket
    Nukeproof flat pedals (included)
    Carbon frame protector (included)
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Hob Nob wrote:
    Dirt have just reviewed the Nomad. It was not a positive review at all.

Slight hyperbole.

But it is amusing reading the comments from the butthurt owners :)

If I didn't like my nomad I would just sell it, I've had enough bikes to know it's not worth keeping a dog. My HD was certainley one of those, worst bike I have ever owned.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    I was referring to the comments on the Dirt review, not the users on here ;)

I agree though, for the price, it should be spot on. Dig below the new bike blinkers elsewhere, there are people who have struggled to set it up (me included) and never got it feeling perhaps as right as it should do.

It was so close to being that bike for me. Thankfully it does seem to be it for my wife. I'm a fussy so & so though, the reality being I don't think there is anything perfect for me. But it's fun trying a few to find out :)
  • tobamory
    I do like reviews though it does help a little, problem i have in the UK is i can't actually test most bikes..

Giant are poop for demos, some you can get some take months to come, so if you wanted something specific like a medium reign demo its very hard locally to find 1

I had the same issue with Lapierre shop sells them but doesn't demo them, how craps that hence to say i sacked that too.

My bike i kinda buy like my cars read shedloads then just buy it, with the Solo i was lucky because it is a good bike, the old 5 was a gamble but a good 1...

Madness i know.

Of late i tested a Bronson Carbon, like that seemed to go uphill easier, unsure if it was a weight thing or a mental thing, great bike though.

Wife like the Giant Anthem 29er and to be honest she bloody flew on that thing, normally she's in my dust not with that thing infront most of the time, just shows how much the 29er give her....

I do keep looking at Nukeproof cos there cheap and not too bad, lets hope i still get this 5 its still on eBay and pink bike i hope the guys a man of his word :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are yiu sure you want a Five? They were good five or six years ago but other bikes have moved on a lot since then.
    They are ok, not bad at anything but far from an inspirational ride. Sort of like a Ford Mondeo.
  • tobamory
    Yeah Rock I was initially looking for that mega bike, but after a reality check I only really need something for her so I can claim my solo back, the five I got is good enough and it's only cost me over a grand, worst case is I buy a frame later and swap what I can over which won't be that much but enough to move forward, I'll revisit the better bike end of year.

This gets us something so we can both go out together again, and I don't have to use the e8 that hurts my back...even trying to upgrade the 8 to discs a new stem and bars etc would have set me back 500plus

I now wat your saying...but it's s a safe bike for her for now.