Power nerds

2»

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Out of interest, what would you class as a bit too much of an imbalance?

Anything over 54.9%.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Pokerface wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Anything over 54.9%.

Just out of interest, what's your imbalance? How much power do you lose on the left? Is that typical in your class?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Anything over 54.9%.

Just out of interest, what's your imbalance? How much power do you lose on the left? Is that typical in your class?

I'm equally weak on both sides :)

I'm around 48-52 at lower power and that gets closer to 50-50 as I approach higher power outputs. But I have weakness in my 'good' leg which is why I'm in the class I'm in. It balances out.

I know a guy in a class above me that is 36-64!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Anything over 54.9%.

I'm around 48-52 at lower power and that gets closer to 50-50 as I approach higher power outputs. But I have weakness in my 'good' leg which is why I'm in the class I'm in. It balances out.

Cheers. I'm reading "equally weak" as "a hundred times stronger than you" btw. ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    There you go. L43% R44%. Where does the extra 13% come from :wink:

I assume you're joking?

I also assume that those are the independent percentages of each pedal stroke - the part of the power generated by the upstroke for each side. IMO, TMI.

If he's joking, I don't get it. I'm not a power nerd and I have no idea what I'm looking at... Anyone want to explain it all?

Power data from a Pioneer power meter fro Gesink. Their power meter provides a huge amount of info.
    60km ride, 1 hour 32 mins, 55m of climbing. 303w average, 97rpm avg, Left-Right balance: 51-49, 43.6% pedalling efficiency. And the 'dials' show the efficiency of each leg's pedalling.

Do the blue and red arrows that are around the 'dials' show where the force is applied in relation to the cranks position. So 7 and 12 o'clock are dead spots or transitions from push > pull and vice versa ??
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Out of interest, what would you class as a bit too much of an imbalance? The last time I went on a wattbike my split was 45L 55R. I have a protruding disc following an accident which has mucked things up a bit to be honest. I'm trying to work on strengthening the left leg to smooth it out before the next time I try the watt bike.

It wasn't necessarily the left/right balance we were looking at - in this case he wasn't engaging his vastus medialis on his left leg correctly (inside quad muscle), which also showed up as a LR imbalance but needed some adjustment of the cleats to sort out.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Anything over 54.9%.

Cheers. I'm reading "equally weak" as "a hundred times stronger than you" btw. ;-)

I put out remarkably low power. I'm just very aero. :)

And most guys in my class are actually 0-100 as they only have one leg!
  • Pokerface
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

I also assume that those are the independent percentages of each pedal stroke - the part of the power generated by the upstroke for each side. IMO, TMI.

If he's joking, I don't get it. I'm not a power nerd and I have no idea what I'm looking at... Anyone want to explain it all?

Power data from a Pioneer power meter fro Gesink. Their power meter provides a huge amount of info.
    60km ride, 1 hour 32 mins, 55m of climbing. 303w average, 97rpm avg, Left-Right balance: 51-49, 43.6% pedalling efficiency. And the 'dials' show the efficiency of each leg's pedalling.

Do the blue and red arrows that are around the 'dials' show where the force is applied in relation to the cranks position. So 7 and 12 o'clock are dead spots or transitions from push > pull and vice versa ??

The blue arrows indicate where force is being applied inefficiently. As in - they could be pulling up harder in that part of the pedal stroke rather than just pushing down with the opposite leg. If it was red arrows all the way around - they would have a perfect pedal stroke - pulling up and pushing down in equal measure.

** This is my understanding from reading the literature from Pioneer.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pokerface wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

The blue arrows indicate where force is being applied inefficiently. As in - they could be pulling up harder in that part of the pedal stroke rather than just pushing down with the opposite leg. If it was red arrows all the way around - they would have a perfect pedal stroke - pulling up and pushing down in equal measure.

** This is my understanding from reading the literature from Pioneer.

Cool, thanks Colin
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”