Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    39.54km/h average.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RonB wrote:
    There you go. L43% R44%. Where does the extra 13% come from :wink:
    ^ Site for sore eyes, thon avi.
    Wildly OT appearance of another RonB
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

I also assume that those are the independent percentages of each pedal stroke - the part of the power generated by the upstroke for each side. IMO, TMI.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

I also assume that those are the independent percentages of each pedal stroke - the part of the power generated by the upstroke for each side. IMO, TMI.

If he's joking, I don't get it. I'm not a power nerd and I have no idea what I'm looking at... Anyone want to explain it all?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

If he's joking, I don't get it. I'm not a power nerd and I have no idea what I'm looking at... Anyone want to explain it all?

Power data from a Pioneer power meter fro Gesink. Their power meter provides a huge amount of info.
    60km ride, 1 hour 32 mins, 55m of climbing. 303w average, 97rpm avg, Left-Right balance: 51-49, 43.6% pedalling efficiency. And the 'dials' show the efficiency of each leg's pedalling.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    RonB wrote:

I assume you're joking?

Power data from a Pioneer power meter fro Gesink. Their power meter provides a huge amount of info.
    60km ride, 1 hour 32 mins, 55m of climbing. 303w average, 97rpm avg, Left-Right balance: 51-49, 43.6% pedalling efficiency. And the 'dials' show the efficiency of each leg's pedalling.

Thanks, it's starting to make more sense now :-)

How is "efficiency" calculated?
  • Pokerface

With the Pioneer PM, pedalling efficiency is calculated as the ratio of positive tangential force (force at 90° to the crank’s position that is actually usefully turning the crank) versus total force. Perfection with no wasted power would be 100%, and improving this efficiency helps in actually laying more power onto the road.

Efficiency tends to go up as riders approach maximum force.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Pokerface wrote:

With the Pioneer PM, pedalling efficiency is calculated as the ratio of positive tangential force (force at 90° to the crank’s position that is actually usefully turning the crank) versus total force. Perfection with no wasted power would be 100%, and improving this efficiency helps in actually laying more power onto the road.

Efficiency tends to go up as riders approach maximum force.

Thanks, enlightening.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Interesting to see what info you get from thàt meter. Numbers not particularly interesting in this case however.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Interesting. What efficiency do the most efficient riders in the peleton pedal with?
  • Pokerface
    Interesting. What efficiency do the most efficient riders in the peloton pedal with?

At threshold power, pedalling efficiency reaches it maximum. This can range from 70-80% in very good riders to 40-60% in untrained cyclists. Gesink's efficiency figures there would indicate a sub-maximal effort
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Like the efficiently bit, do any of the other meters on sale do this? Used a wattbike for a few months and like the little image of where the power is being put down in the stroke believe this helped, about the only bit I miss on my Kickr over the wattbike
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • slim_boy_fat
    Pokerface wrote:
    Interesting. What efficiency do the most efficient riders in the peloton pedal with?

At threshold power, pedalling efficiency reaches it maximum. This can range from 70-80% in very good riders to 40-60% in untrained cyclists. Gesink's efficiency figures there would indicate a sub-maximal effort
    Thanks. How easy or difficult is it to improve your efficiency and do pro cyclists do a lot of work on it?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Thanks. How easy or difficult is it to improve your efficiency and do pro cyclists do a lot of work on it?

Article: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ncy-42061/

I have no idea how hard it is to improve. And I would assume that most Pros are just naturally gifted at pedalling. That, and the sheer number of hours they spend doing it will make them better at it.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Article: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ncy-42061/

I have no idea how hard it is to improve. And I would assume that most Pros are just naturally gifted at pedalling. That, and the sheer number of hours they spend doing it will make them better at it.
    Thanks for the link but I think there are a long list of things for me to work at before I look at pedalling efficiency to improve my cycling :lol:

Reason I ask is, I've only really watched pro cycling for the past 10 years and over that time watching races or reading books I've been quite surprised by how often it's appeared to be so amateur, especially compared to some of the other sports I watch and compete in. Sky bang on about marginal gains but it has often seemed that 'obvious gains' were needed in the sport. And I just wondered if pedalling efficiency was one of those 'obvious gains'.
  • okgo
    Lots of discussion on this on various forums. In a nutshell it seems it doesn't matter vastly how you turn the cranks within reason. That is backed up e fact nearly every rider has a different style, some look great some look awful even though they're still all pro
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Wonder what AG2R's classics guy, is it gaudin, would be like. He cycles like he wants to ruin his bottom bracket and cranks.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Damien Gaudin. Yeh, it would be interesting to see a comparison of efficiency between Wiggins and someone like Gaudin. Just to see what kind of difference a smooth pedalling style makes.

And by interesting I mean verging on boring.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Very boring tbh.
  • Pokerface wrote:

LottoJumbo have got me in to do work with them in order to improve their riders' efficiency. The Pioneer power meter (impressive bit of kit) is one of the tools we use to evaluate the riders after testing.
  • Macaloon
    LottoJumbo have got me in to do work with them in order to improve their riders' efficiency. The Pioneer power meter (impressive bit of kit) is one of the tools we use to evaluate the riders after testing.
    Do you have a view on the accuracy, or otherwise, of power estimate models and climb times.
  • okgo
    Macaloon wrote:
    Do you have a view on the accuracy, or otherwise, of power estimate models and climb times.

The Scandi dude who posts on twitter has done a few recently where he has used estimates vs actuals and they seem to be fairly close, but I don't know if that was just two examples that happen to look similar...
  • Macaloon
    okgo wrote:
    The Scandi dude who posts on twitter has done a few recently where he has used estimates vs actuals and they seem to be fairly close, but I don't know if that was just two examples that happen to look similar...
    Generous tribute, there. The one that bothers me most is that time Froome failed to drop Contador despite repeated attempts. They had identical times, but presumably wildly different power outputs.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    okgo wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

amittipiroyally or something like that? ISTR, there was an article in Pro Cycling which quoted a couple of teams saying his numbers were fairly accurate - possibly with margin of error, but was a while back and physical copy so can't check.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • okgo
    Macaloon wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    Generous tribute, there. The one that bothers me most is that time Froome failed to drop Contador despite repeated attempts. They had identical times, but presumably wildly different power outputs.

To be honest I find his posts and that of the digger forum quite boring and tiresome, throwing around libel inducing accusations left right and center, I don't think they deserve the airtime they get. But I was at least interested to see how close the method was, I think it was Dan Lloyd that provided the real file in this case.
  • slim_boy_fat
    Pokerface wrote:

Thanks for your input. What sort of improvement would be expected by specifically working on it? Are we talking a very marginal gain or something more significant.
  • The stuff I've been doing is very specific - so for example with one rider we were looking to improve his ability at higher power outputs (350-400w) as well as addressing a bit too much of a left/right imbalance. Amongst other metrics we were looking at, the improvements that we saw also manifested as a 1-4% increase in his "pedal efficiency" as measured on the Pioneer PM, which was encouraging/interesting.

There's still more work to be done in finding the link between these kinds of metrics to established measures of performance (eg. gross mechanical efficiency using expired gas in a lab), but I'm working on it ;)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Out of interest, what would you class as a bit too much of an imbalance? The last time I went on a wattbike my split was 45L 55R. I have a protruding disc following an accident which has mucked things up a bit to be honest. I'm trying to work on strengthening the left leg to smooth it out before the next time I try the watt bike.