Feels like im towing a parachute??

2»

Comments

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Russboy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    I don't think it's a bike problem, you will be getting sick.

....... and that makes no sense

If there is nothing wrong with the bike, there could be something wrong with you. Often before there is any obvious sign of a cold it knocks your performance back.

I've felt the winds have been deceptive for the last week or so, could it just be an unusual wind direction?
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Well, small mechanical problems won't slow down, so ity must be the rider himself.
  • russboy
    russboy Posts: 436
    Keezx wrote:
    Well, small mechanical problems won't slow down, so ity must be the rider himself.

Sorry but small mechanical problems slow you down, brakes binding, tyres under inflated, bearings knackered etc, all small, all will slow the bike down.

As it happens having stripped it all down & as above found small strips of metal within the freehub itself obscuring the movement of the pulls/plates with the springs on & having now put it all back together, cleaned & lubricated again it does seem better.

Only did a couple of miles so will need to give it a proper test when i'm back in the office on Wednesday.
  • russboy
    frisbee wrote:
    Russboy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:
    I don't think it's a bike problem, you will be getting sick.

....... and that makes no sense

If there is nothing wrong with the bike, there could be something wrong with you. Often before there is any obvious sign of a cold it knocks your performance back.

I've felt the winds have been deceptive for the last week or so, could it just be an unusual wind direction?

No, this has been going on for weeks, all weathers, but as above hopefully I might have made some progress now.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Russboy wrote:
    Keezx wrote:

Sorry but small mechanical problems slow you down, brakes binding, tyres under inflated, bearings knackered etc, all small, all will slow the bike down.

You THINK they will slow you down, but they won't. It's all between the ears.
    Russboy wrote:
    CUT

No, this has been going on for weeks, all weathers, but as above hopefully I might have made some progress now.

A clear indication of someting fysical holding you back.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Russboy wrote:
    None of my mates ride anymore, as we've got closer to 40 they've all given up!!

Damn, I plan to bike it more and more because I am getting nearer to 40. :shock:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Keezx wrote:
    You THINK they will slow you down, but they won't. It's all between the ears.

[

I once really struggled for around 3 miles, I kept falling behind and my mate was asking what was wrong with me. There were no funny noises, but I nearly died up an 8% incline so knew something was really wrong. When I stopped and checked the bike over the back brake had been rubbing so badly the pad had crumbled and half of it was missing.

Obviously that's a bit extreme, but they certainly can slow you down.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Manc33 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:

Damn, I plan to bike it more and more because I am getting nearer to 40. :shock:

Manc33. I have thought that someone who needed gears as low as you to get up Snake Pass must be twice that age.

Russboy, This is a push bike it does not need rocket science. Lift your back wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel. Does it spin freely and come to a stop gradually? Do the same with the front. Drop your chain off your chainring. Does your bottom bracket turn easily and feel smooth? Three yes answer and the problem is not with your bike. Time taken less than 5 min.
    You are not trying to out post Manc33 are you?
  • russboy
    lesfirth wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:

Manc33. I have thought that someone who needed gears as low as you to get up Snake Pass must be twice that age.

Russboy, This is a push bike it does not need rocket science. Lift your back wheel off the ground. Spin the wheel. Does it spin freely and come to a stop gradually? Do the same with the front. Drop your chain off your chainring. Does your bottom bracket turn easily and feel smooth? Three yes answer and the problem is not with your bike. Time taken less than 5 min.
    You are not trying to out post Manc33 are you?

As already stated, been there, done that. The wheel used to take 30 secs to come to a stop, now around 5. So how is the problem with me when I'm not riding it??

I've ridden this route every day to & fro work for the last 3 yrs on this bike. So actually it is a science of sorts. I know where every lump & bump is in the road, I know the tarmac surface & how I should respond, I know where I need to peddle, where I can coast if I want to. However now, that has all changed, not down to me but down to something on the bike.

I strip my bike every 6 weeks or so, I know what's good & what's not so good. However I've never cleaned or worked on the hubs, this is new to me & as above (despite several people wanting to say the problem is with me) I think I have found & fixed the problem.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It does sound like you've found the fault. Bear in mind that the swarf will either be present due to not being cleaned out after machining or due to damage...in which case it's worth checking to make sure nothing in the hub needs replacing. Individual parts are generally available for Shimano hubs.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}