Feels like im towing a parachute??

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited March 2015 in Workshop
I use my 2013 Fuji GranFondo for the commute to work & recently I’ve found it a real drag, literally!!!

As I’m riding sometimes it feels ok but then all of a sudden it’s like someone is pulling me back. Closest sensation I can get is that the rear brake is locking on.

It’s definitely coming from the back, if it were the front I suspect when trying to accelerate & it happens it would throw my body forwards. I have had a problem with the Shimano 105 rear brake in that it wasn’t releasing, it’s done a few thousand miles so I thought it’s better to just replace it, was only £20. Changed that last night & still the same, I even got rid of the winter jacket this morning which is a bit of a wind tray & went with a tight fit Lyra jacket.

Not that his should have any effect, but I replaced the chain & cassette around 500 miles ago & all clean & tidy.

The only other thing I can think would cause drag in this way is the wheels. I did put a set of Mavic Aksium wheels on there, again 500 (ish) miles ago due to a pot hole snapping a previous rear wheel. Now these weren’t new, were 2nd hand from EBay but in very good condition, boxed etc. This spin perfectly & don’t seem to make any noise at all, but then that’s when they are in the air with no load on them, with me on the bike they would be under pressure, impossible to replicate I guess for testing purposes.

So I wonder if the hubs need servicing, if they can be, or if they are totally shot?? Will take the wheel off this weekend, remove the rear cassette & just have a nose around but I suspect there’s not a lot I can or will see.

Normally very good on bikes but this has be stumped, not bot I want to have to pay out £200 for a new set of wheels just to prove/disprove my theory!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Russ

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You got any mates you can borrow a wheel off? That would appear to be the simplest way of finding out if the wheel is somehow responsible
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you suspect the brakes just open the rear quick release so they are nowhere near. Just remember you won't have a rear brake!

As said try to borrow a rear wheel, if you haven't got a mate to help then ask the LBS. I assume you've checked your tyre pressures etc?
  • russboy
    If you suspect the brakes just open the rear quick release so they are nowhere near. Just remember you won't have a rear brake!

As said try to borrow a rear wheel, if you haven't got a mate to help then ask the LBS. I assume you've checked your tyre pressures etc?

Did that yesterday riding home, front & back, still the same & as above the rear brake set up was replaced last night & has solved the non returning problem.

Yeah tyre pressures are bang on.

None of my mates ride anymore, as we've got closer to 40 they've all given up!!
  • markhewitt1978
    Russboy wrote:

LMAO! With my friends I've noticed the opposite, once in our late 30's we've started to take up cycling!

The only way is the replacement rear wheel, to which I suggest you get it down to the LBS and explain the problem. It might not be the wheel it could be the bottom bracket, chain, cassette etc, they should be able to figure it out.
  • russboy
    Russboy wrote:

LMAO! With my friends I've noticed the opposite, once in our late 30's we've started to take up cycling!

The only way is the replacement rear wheel, to which I suggest you get it down to the LBS and explain the problem. It might not be the wheel it could be the bottom bracket, chain, cassette etc, they should be able to figure it out.

Not sure how anything but the wheel could have an effect on rolling resistance, will whip it all off at the weekend & see.

It's not just when pedalling, if it were then I agree cassette etc could have an effect, but when you stop pedalling & keep rolling it literally feels like the rear brake is being applied ever so slightly. As I cycle the same route every day there are areas where I would expect to keep rolling but the bike is slowing down, such as the company car park which is completely flat.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How long does the wheel spin, if you put the bike in the stand and give the cranks a tweak? Maybe the cones are set too tight?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ben6899 wrote:
    How long does the wheel spin, if you put the bike in the stand and give the cranks a tweak? Maybe the cones are set too tight?

Mavic Aksiums have cartridge bearings, no? Maybe one is failing.
  • markhewitt1978
    Yeah sounds like a freehub issue, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSR7luKf2t4
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    If it's a Mavic Freehub that's gave up you'd know about it, they don't call it the death squeal for nowt.

I had this earlier in the year and although it makes a hell of a noise it didn't actually slow me down.
  • russboy
    Ben6899 wrote:

On a stand it'll spin for an age, but of course there is no real load on it at that time.
  • russboy
    Attached a pic of the wheel
  • russboy
    Pic of the hub in question
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Dinyull wrote:
    If it's a Mavic Freehub that's gave up you'd know about it, they don't call it the death squeal for nowt.

I had this earlier in the year and although it makes a hell of a noise it didn't actually slow me down.

Yepp, agree with all that! Wailed like a banshee when mine failed but only when freewheeling.

Suspect this is a bearing issue but a spare rear would instantly clarify that.
  • Ben6899
    I think I'd get into the hubs and have a look at the bearings. A knackered one would usually reveal itself even in the stand, but don't rule it out.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • russboy
    I've put a post up on Facebook for any friends local (I'm in Epsom, Surrey) to see if I can borrow their rear wheel over the weekend, no response so far.

Will also use the net over the weekend to see how to strip the hub down, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!
  • Ben6899
    Russboy wrote:
    I've put a post up on Facebook for any friends local (I'm in Epsom, Surrey) to see if I can borrow their rear wheel over the weekend, no response so far.

Will also use the net over the weekend to see how to strip the hub down, nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

Stripping down the hub will be straight forward enough. Put a request - for a wheel swap - in the "Commuting Chat" section of these fora. A lot of us live in South London and Surrey.
    Ben

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    A seized bearing would not necessarily feel that bad. I seized one a couple of weeks ago; badly enough that the axle started turning with the wheel and the serrated nut ground a 1.5mm rebate into the dropout.

I only knew about it because the tyre started touching the frame. So that's where I'd look in your shoes; make sure the tyres aren't fouling the frame and that no stones have become lodged between chainstays, seatstays or brake caliper and the tyre.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • russboy
    Yeah sounds like a freehub issue, check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSR7luKf2t4

Watched that video now I'm home from work, but reckon I might need to go even further on the service front than that.

No idea how but will just have to give it a go I guess.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,766
    What is the tyre clearance like, particularly near the bb? Could just be tyre rubbing in the frame. If it is happening part way through a ride, qr's might be slipping.
  • russboy
    What is the tyre clearance like, particularly near the bb? Could just be tyre rubbing in the frame. If it is happening part way through a ride, qr's might be slipping.

No its not tyre, the wheel spins very true & tyre would cause noise & marking on the tyre.

It's been going on for ages so they tyre would have gone through by now, I just thought I was getting slower post Christmas, but this morning it was like cycling my mountain bike with my 3yr old son on the back in his seat ........... whilst holding a bag of concrete!!

Definitely getting worse, but that's good as easier to identify when corrected.
  • First.Aspect
    Not sure you'd see much evidence on the tyre itself. Check the frame where the stays meet the bb for signs of rubbing, at least to rule it out.
  • russboy
    Its def not that, I've spun the wheel up 50+ times over the last few weeks whilst out on a ride or at home & all is well.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    probably a stupid question but have you changed your jacket recently? i have an Assos jacket thats too big and has vents on the back, I always feel drag when wearing that.
  • russboy
    eddiefiola wrote:
    probably a stupid question but have you changed your jacket recently? i have an Assos jacket thats too big and has vents on the back, I always feel drag when wearing that.

That's quite relevant to be honest as I have been using a winter jacket so it made we wonder as well, but yesterday & today I switched to a lycra long sleeve & alas still the same.

In fact it's got to me now so I'm not riding it home tonight & then tomorrow I'll dissect the bugger!
  • First.Aspect
    Russboy wrote:
    Its def not that, I've spun the wheel up 50+ times over the last few weeks whilst out on a ride or at home & all is well.
    Okay, if you say so, but that would fit the symptoms. Only takes a second to check, and if you are getting occasional rubbing it'll stop you from causing worse problems over time.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who will have found that the temporary fix to many mechanical issues is to get off the bike and look for it.
  • russboy
    Russboy wrote:
    Okay, if you say so, but that would fit the symptoms. Only takes a second to check, and if you are getting occasional rubbing it'll stop you from causing worse problems over time.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who will have found that the temporary fix to many mechanical issues is to get off the bike and look for it.

I've done the getting off looking at it so many times, probably 4 times on the way in yesterday, same on the way home & that was just yesterday.

There is no side to side flex in the wheel at all & the wheel sits perfectly in the middle as it should, gear changes etc all fine, which again would be off if the wheel was out of alignment.

This has probably been happening for the last 200 miles or so of commuting, gradually getting worse. If it were rubbing i'm sure there would be marks by now, especially on the dirt etc, before I cleaned it. Also if it were only occasional rubbing the feedback through the bike would be a pulse feeling, this is constant but as I say getting worse, i.e like the bearings are getting drier & drier hence rotation is so poor.
  • First.Aspect
    Furry muff.

Another thought is the skewer. Depending on how the hub is constructed, the skewer might have to rotate in relation to quite a tight channel. Embarrassing as it is to confess, I once had a slightly bent skewer jam in a hub and eventually snap because it had been twisted so much. I'm amazed the frame was okay.

So, setting aside my negligence, I guess I'm saying that there might have been a wee bit of drag. Unlikely but a hell of a lot easier to check than the cartridge bearings.
  • russboy
    So I've stripped it all down & cleaned it.

Only thing I could find was that inside the freehub where to small plates(?) are with springs attached that push out to allow the freehub to only turn in one direction, under one the those were 2 or 3 thin shards of metal, possibly lodged underneath not allowing them to push back in towards the centre of the hub.

Maybe clutching at straws?

Not I've just got to work out how tight to tension it all again so the axle doesn't move side to side in the hub, but still turns easy enough!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I don't think it's a bike problem, you will be getting sick.
  • russboy
    Keezx wrote:
    I don't think it's a bike problem, you will be getting sick.

....... and that makes no sense