colds/viruses and training - refining the standard advice?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
It's often said that you can train with a head cold but not with a chest infection. Obviously this makes sense to a large extent, but I don't really find that advice very useful, as it seems to me that what matters is not so much where the infection is but the stage you are at with it.

I'm just recovering from about 10 days of coughing up yellow phlegm, during which time I've effectively been completely off the bike for obvious reasons... :cry: But I think the reason I got the chest infection in the first place was by not resting at the initial head cold / sore throat stage of the vírus when my immune system was just about managing to fight it off, whereas now, although I'm still pretty phlegmy (especially first thing in the morning), I'm feeling that a bit of training is helping to "clear out the tubes" so to speak.

I just wonder if there are any more reliable ways to tell when it's a good idea to rest. I always feel it's a difficult call and that I only get it right about 2/3 of the time...

Comments

• saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have had the worst year yet with this chest/cold thingy. I worked out since November I have had to rest for approx. 2 months in total (on & off). Every time I train and just start feeling like I am getting my fitness back, I fall down with it again.

It happened last year, and did the same. I find its not the fact I want to train though, as when its on my chest, getting out is the last thing on my mind. I was really hoping to get some winter work done this year so I could smash racing earlier than last year, but that's ruined now.. and I am not getting any younger.

I have the thought of, if it is only in the nose i.e bunged up, then I feel like riding.. as soon as it's throat/chest I totally rest up, not because an internet site says to, but I really don't feel like doing anything.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Although I've just had a nasty cold as above, I've otherwise been fine this year. I know this is contrversial and that the evidence is ambiguous, but I'm sure I've had fewer winter viruses since I started taking Vitamin D during the winter. It makes sense as you are not getting any from sunlight at these latitudes for half the year, and it is linked to immune system functioning.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You can normally tell once you get on the bike if it is a bad idea. Lack of fitness / energy due to a lay off is one thing but trying to push through an illness before you have recovered is very different.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Three good reply's, thats good for us !
  • Prevention is better than cure
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Kajjal wrote:
    You can normally tell once you get on the bike if it is a bad idea. Lack of fitness / energy due to a lay off is one thing but trying to push through an illness before you have recovered is very different.

Interestingly now that I can only commute by bike (sold the car), I usually feel a lot better once I am on the bike if I am suffering from a cold. Previously I would have just jumped in the car if I had any hint of illness.

Perceived power and energy are down but commuting times aren't actually affected that much.

How pushing through a cold affects the duration I have no idea.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    frisbee wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Interestingly now that I can only commute by bike (sold the car), I usually feel a lot better once I am on the bike if I am suffering from a cold. Previously I would have just jumped in the car if I had any hint of illness.

Perceived power and energy are down but commuting times aren't actually affected that much.

How pushing through a cold affects the duration I have no idea.

It's also down to age, life style and general health. When I was in my twenties I could ride through most colds with no problems at all. Now in my forties I can't do that any more due to being older, having a stressful demanding job, more responsibilities etc. It all takes its toll.
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    The possible consequences of pushing your body too far when it is fighting infection can be catastrophic. Your life may never be the same again. Have a look at what happened to Jamison Hill, a well-known fitness instructor. Even if you don't read the text, the before and after photos should say it all.
    http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2014/02/16/carrying-weight-weightlifters-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-story/
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    I've just had a mild cold, almost gone now. I still do some sport but use a HRM and keep a close eye on heart rate. I have a max around 180 and keep it below 140, so not training but ticking over.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • I've found this year since doing more structured training with regular rest/reduced load weeks (via Joe Friel) I have had much fewer days off due to illness and I've just started working in a hospital - surrounded by phlegm all day (makes it sound worse than it is). Anywho my bragging has a point. Could it be you're pushing yourself too hard, weakening the immune system and increasing your chances of getting a cold?
    In previous years I felt like you did and I remember working to vague 8 week increasing routines! Come week 6 I was ill for about 2 weeks which made for slow progress.
    Just a thought.
  • Saying that I do ride through colds above the throat.