Clarkson

Comments

• tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Then drop a Vauxhall on it!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    PBlakeney wrote:

Anyone who thinks that Clarkson is gone, is going to be disappointed.

Really?

He was on a final warning.......... and he punched a colleague :shock:

Do you mean gone from Top Gear, gone from the BBC, or gone from TV?
    I cannot see how the BBC have any option than to honour that final warning. Otherwise it means nothing.
    It was for a racist remark so they have even less options to disregard it.

I like the guy and the way he chose to pick between the two cars, but he and probably Top Gear are toast.
    It does not matter how many lemmings sign the petition.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    You're all missing the point, this is clearly BikeRadar Power. One forumite complained a week ago and now Top Gear is finished. We have more power than the Argentine government and will one day be a match for Mumsnet in our influence. Obviously the BBC can't admit that this is a result of cyclists as it will upset all those brainwashed motorists who have been forced into believing we should be exterminated by being knocked down by driverless cars and so have invented a BS story about a 'fracas' (not quite sure how Manc33 missed this obvious conspiracy).

OK who do we get fired next?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Shame, all the bbc is doing is punishing the TG fans, in time, clarkson et el will take the format somewhere else, its good entertainment and imho has zero effect of anti cycling driving, cyclists do that all on their own.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    We're missing the most important questions:
        Did the producer punch him back?
        Was it filmed?
        Pleasepleasepleaseohplease can we see it?
      Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
      XM-057 rigid 29er
    • bendertherobot
      bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
      Given that the rest of the run has now been cancelled rather than postponed that's quite a big indication that it won't be back.

Anyway, detective time. It won't be Wilman he punched. Wiki lists a single "producer."
      My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
      https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
      Facebook? No. Just say no.
    • vimfuego
      vimfuego Posts: 1,783
      Will I miss TG? Well, maybe, so here's a Clarkson-esque post for fits & giggles (and no doubt will annoy someone...)

This thread is absolutely brilliant - just look at it. Mind boggling in its' beauty, more power than a powerful thing etc etc. But there's a problem. It's actually crap - I mean, underneath the perfectly sculpted contours of the ill conceived opinions based on hatred of a character who has controversial opinions every week for money, you can see its just a bunch of twaddle manufactured by some spanner monkeys in a shed in middle England.

But just how crap is it? That means we must hand it over to our tame pro cyclist. Some say that when he jumps a red light, he actually bunny hops over it on the way through and flips the bird to the enforcement camera, and that if he was stopped by rent-a-plod and advised to wear hi-viz clothing, he'd smack him round the head and pedal away laughing. All we know is he's called the Skid.

So there we have it, concrete over the countryside, destroy all caravans and make some passing comments about cyclists being a tax dodging annoyance. And on that bombshell, who cares anyway?
      CS7
      Surrey Hills
      What's a Zwift?
    • Yellow Peril
      Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
      vimfuego wrote:
      Will I miss TG? Well, maybe, so here's a Clarkson-esque post for fits & giggles (and no doubt will annoy someone...)

This thread is absolutely brilliant - just look at it. Mind boggling in its' beauty, more power than a powerful thing etc etc. But there's a problem. It's actually crap - I mean, underneath the perfectly sculpted contours of the ill conceived opinions based on hatred of a character who has controversial opinions every week for money, you can see its just a bunch of twaddle manufactured by some spanner monkeys in a shed in middle England.

But just how crap is it? That means we must hand it over to our tame pro cyclist. Some say that when he jumps a red light, he actually bunny hops over it on the way through and flips the bird to the enforcement camera, and that if he was stopped by rent-a-plod and advised to wear hi-viz clothing, he'd smack him round the head and pedal away laughing. All we know is he's called the Skid.

So there we have it, concrete over the countryside, destroy all caravans and make some passing comments about cyclists being a tax dodging annoyance. And on that bombshell, who cares anyway?
      :lol::lol::lol::lol:
      @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
    • ddraver
      ddraver Posts: 26,657
      vimfuego wrote:

I'm not sure if you re pro or anti....
      We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
      - @ddraver
    • mrushton
      mrushton Posts: 5,182
      This was a 'madonna' moment. She falls over just before her new tour/album are announced ensuring publicity aplenty. This is good publicity for Clarkson/BBC. Remember he bought the brand Top Gear along with his producer/colleague for buttons, develops the brand and takes it back to the BBC who pay him ££ to produce it and then buy it back off him for ££££££££££ Does he still have a share? Is he involved with the magazine? Be interesting to see if his 2 colleagues follow him to another channel or try to take the show for themselves. Clarkson already has his columns in the press and he is a v.rich man so he doesn't care but I guarantee he will get back on TV, prob for more money
      M.Rushton
    • cc78
      cc78 Posts: 599
      the phrase "see you next Tuesday" springs to mind
    • markhewitt1978
      markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
      mrushton wrote:
      This was a 'madonna' moment. She falls over just before her new tour/album are announced ensuring publicity aplenty. This is good publicity for Clarkson/BBC. Remember he bought the brand Top Gear along with his producer/colleague for buttons, develops the brand and takes it back to the BBC who pay him ££ to produce it and then buy it back off him for ££££££££££ Does he still have a share? Is he involved with the magazine? Be interesting to see if his 2 colleagues follow him to another channel or try to take the show for themselves. Clarkson already has his columns in the press and he is a v.rich man so he doesn't care but I guarantee he will get back on TV, prob for more money

Clarkson did partially own the rights but has since sold them back to BBC Worldwide.
    • oscarbudgie
      oscarbudgie Posts: 850
      So will punching someone at work also be laughed off as 'just a joke' when the BBC try - as they inevitably will - to rehabilitate Clarkson?
      Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
    • mrushton
      mrushton Posts: 5,182
      Did he punch him? it was a workplace dispute - the facts aren't out yet only a story. TG is one of the biggest BBC money makers - 174 territories and money talks. Clarkson makes up, everyone is happy until next time. he leaves and gets airtime elsewhere - win/win for him.
      M.Rushton
    • bendertherobot
      mrushton wrote:
      Did he punch him? it was a workplace dispute - the facts aren't out yet only a story. TG is one of the biggest BBC money makers - 174 territories and money talks. Clarkson makes up, everyone is happy until next time. he leaves and gets airtime elsewhere - win/win for him.

Well, he was on a final warning and told that any controversial remark would get him sacked.

So as long as he did his (alleged) punching in silence he should be ok for a first warning on that one..............
    • Pross
      Pross Posts: 43,063
      The producer will get moved on to something else with a large payoff to STFU, the rest of this series will be cancelled but will return with a special covering that race between the 3 hybrid supercars and then a new series with a bigger audience and possibly a slightly amended format /cynic

I assume the producer in question isn't the same one that is Clarkson's best mate?
    • pesky_jones
      pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
      I like how the accusation is for aiming a punch, not punching, but aiming a punch. Does this mean he missed?
    • MisterMuncher
      MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
      Given he couldn't manage a decent job of punching Piers Morgan, I think pugilism sits beside subtlety in the Clarkson repertoire.
    • slowmart
      slowmart Posts: 4,516
      It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out and see how big the balls are on the exec as ultimately thats where the decision will rest.

I find it hard to believe that Clarkson is on his final warning despite his comments as personally it smacks of classic mis direction?
      “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
    • markhewitt1978
      markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
      It's hard to know what will happen. If this had taken place any other time than in the middle of a Top Gear season they could have just pushed back the next series until the row has died down and then continued as normal. But we've got the issue of the two unbroadcast episodes, when or how will they be aired? You can't believe that the BBC would just sit on all that material.
    • bendertherobot
      Pross wrote:
      The producer will get moved on to something else with a large payoff to STFU, the rest of this series will be cancelled but will return with a special covering that race between the 3 hybrid supercars and then a new series with a bigger audience and possibly a slightly amended format /cynic

I assume the producer in question isn't the same one that is Clarkson's best mate?

Wilman is the exec producer. As I said earlier in the thread wiki lists only one producer on Top Gear. I don't think that's correct though.
    • bendertherobot
      Last Sunday's producer was Oisin Tymon and the series producer is Alex Renton
    • apreading
      apreading Posts: 4,535
      Its not just that the final episodes arent scheduled to be broadcast, they wont have been fully filmed/edited as the studio stuff and SIARPC are done in the week before they go out. Even some of the features will still be work in progress, and one of them may not have finished filming because this incident happened in the middle of it.
    • ugo.santalucia
      ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
      Can they not sort these things out between themselves? Why does the organisation need to step in an argument between two individuals?
      It's all bollox and childish on both parts...
      left the forum March 2023
    • slowmart
      slowmart Posts: 4,516
      edited March 2015
      Can they not sort these things out between themselves? Why does the organisation need to step in an argument between two individuals?

Primarily a employer has a duty of care to their employees and if one employee has been violent and remains in their post the question of liability comes in if that individual were to attack another colleague.

Equally you have to draw a line in the sand for all employees and violence falls into gross misconduct and can result in instant dismissal.

In todays climate of where there is blame there is a claim its little wonder why employment law is given so much weight and why most employers err on the side of caution as in some instances liability is unlimited if a employee goes to tribunal and their claim was proven.
      “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
    • southdownswolf
      southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
      This topic is hotter than my son's 18 year old Swedish model girlfriend spanking Pippa Middleton.
    • pinno
      pinno Posts: 52,042

Two childish protagonists arguing like children over a childish programme for children.

Some say Clarkson is non-pc because it illicits a reaction but he sails so close to the wind and so naturally evokes controversy, I think that the truth is that he is racist and bigoted.
      seanoconn - gruagach craic!
    • dj58
      dj58 Posts: 2,222
      I read somewhere that Andy Wilman and Clarkson thought up the idea for the current format and pitched it to the BBC sometime after the original Top Gear was axed. The programmes with William Woollard, Quentin Wilson, Chris Goffey, Tiff Neddle, Tony Mason, VBH and the young Clarkson were more matter of fact, though more varied and interesting IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lXI_IDBXfg

I still watch the current format top Gear, however I think it has become stale and repetitive and perhaps has come to the end of the road, needs to take a break and have another format change.

I did enjoy the episode were John (Jabba the Hutt) 2 Jags Prescott was the star in a reasonably priced car, were Clarkson did a good job of sending him up.
    • craigus89
      craigus89 Posts: 887
      I would be surprised if Top Gear/Clarkson gets axed. I don't have any figures or anything, and frankly can't be bothered to look, but it will be one of the most viewed programs on the BBC, whether people on here like it or not.

I'm sure any other channel would buy it in it's current format and immediately get the three of them together.
    • Stevo_666
      Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
      Slowmart wrote:
      The reinstate Clarkson petition is over 110,000 signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate- ... d_donation

I've signed :wink:
      Petition signed. I want to see Lineker in the reasonably priced car :)
      "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]