Fulcrum Racing 5 LG CX Wheels for £145? I did

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
As the title really. The ever weakening Euro seems to be making some products a bargain. The cheapest I can find in the UK is £178 at Wiggle.

Apparently they are rated up to 109kg, with regular checking needed for a rider over 100kg. However, should the low spoke count (18/20H) present any issues overall for a significantly lighter rider?

Fulcrum-Racing-5-LG-CX-Laufradsatz-Modell-2015-sch-20498702e20635e2b10802396f1e29ee.jpeg

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I suddenly found £150 down the back of the sofa I probably would. I weigh just under 80kg and have some RS10's (similar spoke count) which are coming up to 8 years old. Only ever lost one spoke, and that was almost certainly weakened when the chain went off the back of the cassette.

The wider rim and better bearing seals on these would appeal to me too.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Yes, they look nice, however bear in mind the quoted weight is grossly underestimated. There was a thread on an Italian forum where they pretty much all agreed the weight was over 1800 grams for these. You can get a set of 32 spokes with wide rims that weighs 1800 grams, although not for 150 quid
    left the forum March 2023
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Aren't CX wheels 135 on the drop outs?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I've just received some of these (not sure about the LG CX bit) from Wiggle - I had ordered Fulcrum 3s so these shall be returned.

I only discovered the problem when I put them on the scales - about 1750g bare.

Just waiting for Wiggle to acknowledge their c0ck up.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    These actually come with free tyres: http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id363.html

Have you tried these supermurph?
    At that price they would be worth a punt as commuting/training wheels - free tyres and spare spokes included in the package!!
  • ugo.santalucia
    bsharp77 wrote:
    These actually come with free tyres: http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product- ... id363.html

Have you tried these supermurph?
    At that price they would be worth a punt as commuting/training wheels - free tyres and spare spokes included in the package!!

If I recall correctly they have been at that price for quite a while... I am sure you can find old threads about the Cero and quite a few takers.
    I have a pair of Chosen hubs (that's what they are) on a set of Planet X commuting wheels... they are very decent hubs... however I am slightly concerned by the size of the bearings, being the flimsy 15 x 24 x 5 mm... which not only are typically short lived, but they are also rather expensive to replace (SKF cost 13 quid each) and easy to damage during the installation... I did fuxk an Enduro one last year in an attempt to fit it to a Novatec hub, that still annoy me to think about
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Aren't CX wheels 135 on the drop outs?

Only when fitted with disc hubs - then the rear is a wider 135mm than the conventional non-disc 130mm.

These appear to be conventional hubs so no problem with dropout size on a standard road bike
  • holiver
    I fully expect the wheelset to weigh ~1750g.

What are the opinions on the hubs? I'm hoping the extra seal would keep them shipshape for longer, but if they did need a service would they be easy to work on?
  • ugo.santalucia
    holiver wrote:
    but if they did need a service would they be easy to work on?

Yes, very easy
  • keef66
    If by service you mean replace the bearings, then yes, pretty straight forward.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Apologies as a slight sidetrack. Are there any other wider rimmed factory wheels out there and why have Fulcrum stopped with these "lower end" wheels?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    whats the difference bwtween cx wheels & normal ones?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Moonbiker wrote:

Just the double sealed bearings that cost about 50p more each than the single sealed ones that Campag use in order to cynically create two products when only one (the CX version) is justified!

There's no sane point in buying the CX version unless it is pretty close to the price of the normal ones. You'll convert those to CX spec as soon as you replace the bearings anyway. You'll just take less time to reach that point with the non CX version.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    Rolf F wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

Just the double sealed bearings that cost about 50p more each than the single sealed ones that Campag use in order to cynically create two products when only one (the CX version) is justified!

There's no sane point in buying the CX version unless it is pretty close to the price of the normal ones. You'll convert those to CX spec as soon as you replace the bearings anyway. You'll just take less time to reach that point with the non CX version.

:lol::mrgreen:
  • Yankee1
    Yankee1 Posts: 19
    I just got a set of the non-CX R5 this weekend. I weighed them at 1750g with the included rim strips but not including skewers. The skewers are another 127g. I mounted some Michelin Pro4 Endurance 23mm this morning and my thumbs aren't thanking me. I've never struggled so much to fit a pair of tyres. I had to use the soapy water trick, which I've never had to do before.

Edit: Shimano fit. Campag should be 50-60g lighter from what I've read.
  • holiver
    I have a set of the Campag CX version on the way and will whack them on the scales when they arrive. I fully anticipate them being 17xxg which is fine for the money.

I used the bike24.com PriceGuarantee system to get them to match the Euro 199 price displayed by actionsports.de. A bit cheeky since actionsports.de don't actually sell the Campag version ;)

I struggled mightily to get the 25mm Pro4 Endurance on my Khamsins so will anticipate another fight!
  • keef66
    holiver wrote:
    I struggled mightily to get the 25mm Pro4 Endurance on my Khamsins so will anticipate another fight!

I just fitted some 25mm Pro 4 SC onto RS10's and found it very easy. I thought wheel rims were meant to be standard sizes??
  • holiver
    My Campagnolo fit Fulcrum Racing 5 LG CX wheels arrived today. I've not yet fitted them, but have put them on the scales.

Front: 758g
    Rear: 929g
    Total:1687g

Yankee1 was bang on with the skewer weight being 127g.

Are there any checks I should do before taking them out for a long ride over the weekend?
  • holiver
    I have fitted the Fulcrums and all appears good. I am pleased to say the tyres went on much more easily than the old Khamsins, which were even a massive pain to get off. They bloodied me and broke some old tyre levers!

Sadly the freehub of the Fulcrums is completely and eerily silent. I may have to look into removing some grease if possible, and if that might increase the noise levels?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Holiver, I ask this question completely out of ignorance - what is wrong with a completely silent freehub?
    That aside, how much of an improvement do you think they give over the previous wheels (Khamsins, I think)?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • holiver
    The Khamsin's free hub was pretty loud and I found it acted as an audible warning device to other riders and pedestrians. I also liked hearing it click away.

I did 80km on the Fulcrums this morning. I can't quantify any performance improvements other than they have knocked 300g off the total weight of my bike. However, and this may just be the placebo effect, they did seem to make the ride more comfortable. I also had a better feeling and seemed to gain more confidence whilst cornering. This may be an effect of the wider rim.

I needed a new wheelset, as on inspection the rear rim was becoming quite concave. I'm quite happy so far...
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    where did you purchase from in the end?
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • holiver
    I used the bike24.com PriceGuarantee system to get them to match the Euro 199 price displayed by actionsports.de. A bit cheeky since actionsports.de don't actually sell the Campag version ;)

I know someone else found the non CX version cheaper. Check the wheelset for under £200 thread.
  • dcurzon
    yup, £141 delivered :) shimano fit. Waiting deli (ordered thurs late)
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • dcurzon
    Arrived this morning. i got 790g on the front, 995g on the rear. But i still had the hub protectors on, at 10g each (2 per wheel) so thats:
    F 770g
    R 975g
    =1745g (inc. rim tape)

I'm guessing that Fulcrum's weight figures exclude the rim tape. Either way, its a massive saving from my current wheels, which i'll properly weigh in when stripped. My estimate is F 1.2kg R 2kg

Now then... what tyres?
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • ugo.santalucia
    dcurzon wrote:
    Either way, its a massive saving from my current wheels, which i'll properly weigh in when stripped. My estimate is F 1.2kg R 2kg

Your estimate don't make any sense. A rear wheel built on Alfine 11 gear hub weighs just over 2 Kg, so yours is for sure a lot less
  • indyjones
    indyjones Posts: 114
    Need to get some 11 speed compatible wheels and very tempted by these, especially the LG as I run 25mm tyres. What the next step up? It seems there is not much without spending double!
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon wrote:
    Either way, its a massive saving from my current wheels, which i'll properly weigh in when stripped. My estimate is F 1.2kg R 2kg

Your estimate don't make any sense. A rear wheel built on Alfine 11 gear hub weighs just over 2 Kg, so yours is for sure a lot less

Maybe. The bike is a Btwin Sport1, bought from Decathlon in 2011, and whatever wheels were fitted when it rolled out of the store are the ones that are currently on it. I did weigh in the front wheel, but at the time it had tube and tyre, pretty sure it was 1.7kg. I'll check my scales and weight them in bare anyway. :) either way, the rear had been pinging spokes so needed replacing
    B'Twin Sport 1
  • holiver
    I have been out on mine again today to do some hill work and am pleased to say the freehub is a bit louder with some miles in it. I still feel the ride is more comfortable than with my Khamsins. it will be great to hear what you think when you have been out on yours!

I'm happy to recommend the 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres. No problems, punctures or cuts for me in a few thousand km.

I think the next cheapest wide rimmed wheelset you can buy is the Superstar Pave 28.