Can't find a 4K Road Bike

Jezuki
Jezuki Posts: 14
edited March 2015 in Road buying advice
Ok, so I've saved my pennies, built my fitness and am ready to buy a road bike in the 4K bracket. The only problem is my LBS won't put any discount on a Cervelo S3 when I know they have given discounts on other brands, the Wilier Cento Uno integrated seat post doesn't suit my need to travel and I can't find a Felt AR2 anywhere. So what should I do? Is there another competitor or should I suck it up and go for the S3?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    A break from the norm?

http://www.storck-bicycle.cc/road-bikes/aerfast-2015 or similar. Fabulous bikes.
  • Grill
    As much as I love Storck, they don't provide the best value.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Grill wrote:
    As much as I love Storck, they don't provide the best value.

I agree. But once ridden, you're hooked :cry:
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Buy 4 1K bikes, you'll be just as quick.
    Or 2 2K bikes.
    Or a 3K bike and 1K worth of clothes.

You're just not thinking this through.
  • Grill
    You can get a WyndMilla Massive Attack for 4k... :D
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Frame set and self build? If it's the bike you really want, nothing else will do it really.
  • Jezuki
    Thanks to you all for your replies so far, I'll check out all those options later today.
    Grill have you ridden a WyndMilla Massive Attack? If so how stiff are they, I'm looking for a balance between comfort and speed!
  • Grill
    I have a Massive Attack. I've also had 2 Scott Foils so I know all about stiff bikes. Obviously the Massive Attack isn't as stiff as the Foil, but I don't have any issues with flex. I also find it very comfortable and have done many centuries as well as 200 and 400 mile rides. Craftsmanship is top notch (as well it should as it's built by Sarto in Italy) and the paint by Ooey is sublime. The paint on mine is custom and that's not necessarily an option I'd suggest as it can break the bank.

Not the best picture but you get the idea. https://twitter.com/Eric_Grill/status/447206860446113793/photo/1
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,237
    Jezuki wrote:
    Can't find a 4K Road Bike

My heart bleeds for you, it really does.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Jezuki
    Thanks Grill, one to chuck in the mix!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think this gets my award for bonkers thread of the day. "I can't find a £4k bike"...so buy one for less :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Isnt all this a bit arse about face.

Decide on the bike you want, and then save up for it ?

TBH - I love the build up to a new bike - the months of wrestling with your conscience and deciding what ratios you really need on the bike and what cages will go with it etc etc.

Then when you ride the bike - you soon forget its new and it just feels like 'your bike'. No faster than the old one apart from the first ride or so.

What do you want it for ?
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Frame set and self build? If it's the bike you really want, nothing else will do it really.

This. That way you get to have everything you want - no compromises. Much better than buying a bike, changing the saddle and bars, getting nicer wheels...

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Geo555
    Geo555 Posts: 96
    If your heart is set on the Cervelo, buy it. Don't compromise just because you cannot get a discount (Would you be put off buying a Ferrari because of no discount?) Although for the money you have to spend it would be worth having a look at a getting a custom made frame. Road CC have just reviewed the Hersh Trinity, made in Italy by Sarto, fully customisable in both geometry and paintwork for about £2200. It will really be "your" bike.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Or get Craddock to make you a custom one here in the UK
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Jezuki
    This is really useful stuff for me, thanks. I never thought about the custom route or building my own.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Canyon are hard to beat for value/performance
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Jezuki
    Cougie, actually I had saved up for the S3 Di2 but the lack of discount set me off looking at options. I'm looking for this to do fast club rides, sportives and hill riding holidays e.g. The alps etc.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    What's wrong with the S5 I posted? Cervelo and discounted, that's what you were after.
  • Jezuki
    Londoncommuter I believe there is a reason that it's discounted, a couple of the guys at the club said the old S5 has some known issues, including not being able to get a 25 wheel on and some other stuff all which has been fixed in the 2015 model.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    If you a size 56 -there is a lovely Basso going second hand for peanuts on the classifieds - £1250!
  • Jezuki wrote:
    Londoncommuter I believe there is a reason that it's discounted, a couple of the guys at the club said the old S5 has some known issues, including not being able to get a 25 wheel on and some other stuff all which has been fixed in the 2015 model.

I've got the 2014 S5 and I love it. Claims of it not being comfortable are in my opinion ridiculous. I've done loads of 100 plus milers and ironman UK on it and it's fantastic. Never had any issues. And it feels fast and responsive. Have loved every minute of it and had no problems at all. My riding mate has the S3 which doesn't seem much more comfortable than the S5 when we have swapped. My main issue with the S3 is the paint job. Looks awful to me. But then my mate loves it.

That one londoncommuter linked seems like a bargain. Give Simon a bell at NRG cycles I got a good deal on my S5 and he sells all Cervelo models so may be able to do you a deal on the S3.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Genesis Zero genesis volare, Ritchely logic road, Various Deda or Cinelli bikes - all can be had as frames for a custom build all not the norm all are good.

If you can't find a £4k bike well they are everywhere.

Deda for example have a disc brake RAN, I would look at one of those.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Grill
    Deda lie about the RAN's weight (and not by any sort of acceptable margin). That annoys me enough to never buy one.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Have you considered an ex Team Lotto Belisol bike at less than half price....?

http://www.merlincycles.com/ridley-helium-sl-lotto-belisol-team-bikes-record-eps-76100.html

Just a thought...
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Canyon Aeroad CF SLX would be my choice. I personally can't stand the way the S5 looks. To my eyes, it's absolutely gopping.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What is the weight uoj have measured. Deda lykng about about weights thats never happened before has it :wink:
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.