Horse poo

2»

Comments

• coriordan wrote:
    How is it worse than foxes and badgers themselves etc? Given the dog is vaccinated?

I don't fucxing know... I just watch Countryfile and report back... I am sure the web is littered with information if you are interested... I just report what the farmers say... and they say it's bad...
    left the forum March 2023
  • It a little known fact that riders in the Tour de France used to eat it from 1903 - 1941
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Debeli wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Once I get round to marketing my "Pooch Poo Panniers" - essentially panniers that go over the dog and you keep empty bags and stuff in one side, poo filled bags in the other - this problem will be solved and i'll be a millionaire!

Why would a dog be riding a bicycle in the first place? And if it were, what makes you think it would pay extra for panniers that it could take a dump in? I think this idea might need a little more thought, sir.

On the matter of horse poo... I think of it much as I do diesel spills, potholes and other inconveniences. It is there and it has been there a while and will continue to be so.

On horse poo specifically, it is produced by what was (for many centuries) our chief means of transport and propulsion. It is to be expected in life. Quite why the OP finds it on the pavement, I do not know. In my experience it tends to be on the road. But it's not a big deal. Let us give thanks to the Lord that horses do not fly. That would cause more than a little inconvenience if a flock of horses flying over one was suddenly startled. I imagine that's why Pegasus never went into stud. Too messy.

The panniers go over the dog, it's genius admit it
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Debeli wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Once I get round to marketing my "Pooch Poo Panniers" - essentially panniers that go over the dog and you keep empty bags and stuff in one side, poo filled bags in the other - this problem will be solved and i'll be a millionaire!

Why would a dog be riding a bicycle in the first place? And if it were, what makes you think it would pay extra for panniers that it could take a dump in? I think this idea might need a little more thought, sir.

On the matter of horse poo... I think of it much as I do diesel spills, potholes and other inconveniences. It is there and it has been there a while and will continue to be so.

On horse poo specifically, it is produced by what was (for many centuries) our chief means of transport and propulsion. It is to be expected in life. Quite why the OP finds it on the pavement, I do not know. In my experience it tends to be on the road. But it's not a big deal. Let us give thanks to the Lord that horses do not fly. That would cause more than a little inconvenience if a flock of horses flying over one was suddenly startled. I imagine that's why Pegasus never went into stud. Too messy.

The panniers go over the dog, it's genius admit it

Your a bit late to the party. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dog+b ... QsAQ&dpr=1
  • chris_bass
    Back to the drawing board
  • Don't know that there will ever be any action to stop this happening, but it isn't true that horse shoot is harmless, as quite a few have said on here.

Like many grazing animals, horse crap comes nicely loaded with spores of a particularly nasty anaerobic bacterium - Clostridium tetani, which you really don't want to be ingesting or getting into open wounds.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I'm happy to see horse poo in the lane outside our house. I nip out, shovel it into a bucket and stick it on the compost heap. My wife and I also pop round to a horse-owning neighbour's and collect horse poo from her huge pile in the yard. It's great for improving the soil for growing veg. We love the stuff. Horse poo is all part of living in a rural area and an indication that our local stable is continuing to provide jobs and bring money into our area.

Far worse for cyclists is cow slurry spread all over the road on the regular route from field to milking shed. Or mud spread all over the road from tractors coming off fields. Or thorns. Most of my farmer neighbours are reasonably good at cleaning up.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394
    Don't know that there will ever be any action to stop this happening, but it isn't true that horse shoot is harmless, as quite a few have said on here.

Like many grazing animals, horse crap comes nicely loaded with spores of a particularly nasty anaerobic bacterium - Clostridium tetani, which you really don't want to be ingesting or getting into open wounds.

Also (by definition) any number of very harmful enteric bacteria including E.coli 0157. Horse Sh!t s far from harmless!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    coriordan wrote:
    How is it worse than foxes and badgers themselves etc? Given the dog is vaccinated?

I don't fucxing know... I just watch Countryfile and report back... I am sure the web is littered with information if you are interested... I just report what the farmers say... and they say it's bad...

Wouldn't it be better to just take in the information - not take it as fact? Unless the disease comes from dog food or human influence on dogs I don't see why it should transmit any diseases that it shouldn't do naturally. It could be that dog sh1t does transmit natural diseases, just as foxes or badgers or other wildlife does, but its the fact that there are so many dogs (due to them being domesticated as pets) that the natural disease is much more widespread than that of badgers & foxes & other wildlife etc. Maybe.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I have a theory.

Cyclists and Horse Riders have alot in common. We're both a menace on the road, cause hold-ups and have a 'holier than thou' attitude to motorists, obviously.

However, the way we are treated by motorists is quite different and I think I have worked it out. If we, as cyclists, want the slow/wide berth that we all crave - lay a steamer on the tarmac on your next ride. It's logic.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Just going on a bit of a tangent.....
    Despite being a cyclist and a motorist, if my journey is shorter than a couple of miles I would rather walk than drive. What I have begun to notice a lot recently is the number of discarded mini air cylinders in the gutters. (I live in an urban area, not some cycling Mecca!) Maybe we as cyclists are getting our own back by spreading our sh*t along the roads?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pituophis wrote:
    Despite being a cyclist and a motorist, if my journey is shorter than a couple of miles I would rather walk than drive. What I have begun to notice a lot recently is the number of discarded mini air cylinders in the gutters. (I live in an urban area, not some cycling Mecca!) Maybe we as cyclists are getting our own back by spreading our sh*t along the roads?

That's not to do with cyclists. Losers use them as some pitiful, Friday night legal high.

(they're canisters out of Sodastream etc appliances; not CO2.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

That's not to do with cyclists. Losers use them as some pitiful, Friday night legal high.

While I don't doubt for one minute this takes place regularly, my experience as a wayward adolescent meant that we usually had regular meeting area's we hung out in to smoke and drink cider (I'm going back a bit obviously) like around the "offy" or behind the garages etc, not places I frequent these days for fear of being mugged or mistaken for a paedo :shock: . Where as these all seem to be along the gutters of the main roads in my town. Not where I would expect to see teenagers getting off their coupon.
    However as I'm no longer down with the kids (as no one ever says) I will bow to your superior knowledge and keep my eyes peeled for gas abusers. :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,948
    Ben6899 wrote:

If they are from Sodastream appliances, then they are CO2.

I didn't think anything else was available in these canisters, however quick search proves me wrong :roll: and it seems that you can also get nitrous oxide (laughing gas) in them for whipped cream dispensers.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

If they are from Sodastream appliances, then they are CO2.

I didn't think anything else was available in these canisters, however quick search proves me wrong :roll: and it seems that you can also get nitrous oxide (laughing gas) in them for whipped cream dispensers.

That's it! I got mixed up.

And the reason they're in the gutters, I suspect, is because the users are inhaling on their way to nightclubs etc
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chris_bass
    Ben6899 wrote:
    That's it! I got mixed up.

This is your brain on drugs