Horse poo

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,946
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
It's long been a bug-bear of mine, bloody horse poo all over the pavements around where I live. It's especially bad around my old mum's, I've had to clean her wheel-chair when I've taken her out for a push, and it's not as easy for her to dodge around it when she has to walk from the car to her house.

So I was quite pleased to find this...

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62194

but less chuffed to see only 9 sigs so far.

Good luck matey, I was pleased to sign it.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I don't think its viable.

Horses are full of shit.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I'll swap you for dog s*** any day of the week. :evil:

Might have helped if I'd read it before slipping into anti dog mode. :oops:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ha ha I expect to see a similar one exhorting farmers to clear up after their herds when they move them from one pasture to another!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Yet, in days gone by, even horse manure had a value and it was worth fighting for, like this classic 1952 film clearly shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-TKceqqjEw
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Never understood this. A dog owner will be fined for allowing their dog to foul the pavement. Farmers can be fined for trailing mud from fields across the highway but a horse can sh!t where it likes and nothing comes of it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Never understood this. A dog owner will be fined for allowing their dog to foul the pavement. Farmers can be fined for trailing mud from fields across the highway but a horse can sh!t where it likes and nothing comes of it.

Horses eat grass, hay etc and their poo carries no really harmful viruses (so my mum digs it into her garden but doesn't use dog xxxx)
    Dog mess, however can be extremely dangerous to humans, plus there are far more dogs in the uk well over 9million and counting...

Dog owners and farmers "may" be fined for mess they leave but who knows anyone that has been fined?
    Devon and Cornwall Police rarely patrol in the countryside and unless there has been an accident, don't take any action against mud on the highways, a "mud on road" sign is at best all you ll see, it would just take far too much time to find out who owns the land and whether (the guilty party) was the landowner, contractor or if the land is rented.

Around here, in deepest Cornwall, dog owners use the countryside as a dog xxxxing area, let them off the lead and run around emptying their bowels.

I wont be signing this petition :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As you can imagine, there's a never-ending supply of it round here. Mudguards are a must when the roads are wet.
  • Anonymous
    bloody hell. It's totally harmless.

I live in the new forest and some complete retards now pick up their dog shite, put it in a bag, then leave the bag in a hedge. How f*cking thick can some people be? What do they think foxes, badgers etc do?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    coriordan wrote:
    What do they think foxes, badgers etc do?
    Sniff the bags?
  • keef66
    coriordan wrote:

I live in the new forest and some complete retards now pick up their dog shite, put it in a bag, then leave the bag in a hedge. How f*cking thick can some people be? What do they think foxes, badgers* etc do?

As a responsible dog owner this behaviour completely baffles me. They go to the expense of buying the bags, and the trouble of picking up the turd, but then can't be arsed to carry it to the nearest bin. WTF is that all about??

The bloke trimming the hedges must absolutely love it!

*badgers dig their own latrines, but they don't fill them in. Foxes on the other hand seem to like crapping in the middle of the path and leave it for the dog to roll in. Lovely!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    keef66 wrote:
    Foxes on the other hand seem to like crapping in the middle of the path and leave it for the dog to roll in. Lovely!

Which surely says a lot about dogs...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    SecretSam wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Foxes on the other hand seem to like crapping in the middle of the path and leave it for the dog to roll in. Lovely!

Which surely says a lot about dogs...

The dogs around here do the same thing, which says a lot about the owners too..
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    keef66 wrote:
    coriordan wrote:

I live in the new forest and some complete retards now pick up their dog shite, put it in a bag, then leave the bag in a hedge. How f*cking thick can some people be? What do they think foxes, badgers* etc do?

As a responsible dog owner this behaviour completely baffles me. They go to the expense of buying the bags, and the trouble of picking up the turd, but then can't be arsed to carry it to the nearest bin. WTF is that all about??

The bloke trimming the hedges must absolutely love it!

*badgers dig their own latrines, but they don't fill them in. Foxes on the other hand seem to like crapping in the middle of the path and leave it for the dog to roll in. Lovely!

Once I get round to marketing my "Pooch Poo Panniers" - essentially panniers that go over the dog and you keep empty bags and stuff in one side, poo filled bags in the other - this problem will be solved and i'll be a millionaire!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mamba80
    keef66 wrote:
    As a responsible dog owner...........

If I ever meet one of these, it would be like finding a DODO ! Sorry :lol:
  • keef66
    mamba80 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    As a responsible dog owner...........

If I ever meet one of these, it would be like finding a DODO ! Sorry :lol:

We do exist, but sadly in a minority. It's not difficult clearing up after your dog, but a lot of people choose not to, safe in the knowledge they won't be prosecuted.
  • Anonymous
    I do when in town. When out and about in the new forest/open countryside? Of course not.
  • coriordan wrote:
    I do when in town. When out and about in the new forest/open countryside? Of course not.

The problem with dog poo is that it transmit diseases to humans and wildlife, unfortunately... so in town or in the countryside, you should always clean after your dog. Personally I would enforce a licensing system for dog owners... most of them ignore these basic facts and think it is simply a matter of not leaving a turd in a built up area
  • Anonymous
    You once had to have a dog license but it didnt mske any difference
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    There was a time when if a horse shat on the road, 3 old blokes would be fighting to shovel it up for their roses or unfeasibly large onions.

Is competitive gardening in decline?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • You once had to have a dog license but it didnt mske any difference

Maybe they were giving out the wrong information. It would also stop all those yobbos from going around with pit bulls...
  • t4tomo wrote:
    There was a time when if a horse shat on the road, 3 old blokes would be fighting to shovel it up for their roses or unfeasibly large onions.

HAve a look at the film I posted above... it's only a minute or so...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    t4tomo wrote:

HAve a look at the film I posted above... it's only a minute or so...
    Ah classic, didn't quite pick all the dialogue but whether it's Yorkshire or Umbria it's good to see that old men were prepared to fight over horse sh!t. Those were the days eh?
    :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Chris Bass wrote:

Once I get round to marketing my "Pooch Poo Panniers" - essentially panniers that go over the dog and you keep empty bags and stuff in one side, poo filled bags in the other - this problem will be solved and i'll be a millionaire!

Why would a dog be riding a bicycle in the first place? And if it were, what makes you think it would pay extra for panniers that it could take a dump in? I think this idea might need a little more thought, sir.

On the matter of horse poo... I think of it much as I do diesel spills, potholes and other inconveniences. It is there and it has been there a while and will continue to be so.

On horse poo specifically, it is produced by what was (for many centuries) our chief means of transport and propulsion. It is to be expected in life. Quite why the OP finds it on the pavement, I do not know. In my experience it tends to be on the road. But it's not a big deal. Let us give thanks to the Lord that horses do not fly. That would cause more than a little inconvenience if a flock of horses flying over one was suddenly startled. I imagine that's why Pegasus never went into stud. Too messy.
  • mamba80
    coriordan wrote:

why not? your not the only one who uses the countryside, farmers, walkers, kids, not too mention folk keeping verges, gateways, paths etc clean and tidy using strimmers, the dog poo goes everywhere, if your being serious, then your being irresponsible, its not always possible to see where the dog goes but to deliberately not even try.......

Horse poo is harmless and makes good bunny hop practice.
  • Anonymous
    Countryside being the "rough" in the new forest? Thousands of acres of bracken, heather, heathland and woodland? Seriously? I'm not picking it up
  • coriordan wrote:
    Countryside being the "rough" in the new forest? Thousands of acres of bracken, heather, heathland and woodland? Seriously? I'm not picking it up

it's bad... you should watch Countryfile... apparently it is a problem... diseases are then spread via badgers and other wildlife
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Debeli wrote:

On horse poo specifically, it is produced by what was (for many centuries) our chief means of transport and propulsion. It is to be expected in life. Quite why the OP finds it on the pavement, I do not know. In my experience it tends to be on the road. But it's not a big deal. Let us give thanks to the Lord that horses do not fly. That would cause more than a little inconvenience if a flock of horses flying over one was suddenly startled. I imagine that's why Pegasus never went into stud. Too messy.

Because that's where the walking sh1t machines are ridden! :evil:

Outside my mums it seems unfairly bad, it's almost as if the smell of horse poo sparks something in that tiny peanut of equine grey matter, and they are somehow compelled to release another load to join it.

As for cleaning it up for 'the roses' etc. if it's so damned good, get off the horse and take it with you!

The older I get, the better I was.

• Anonymous
    coriordan wrote:

it's bad... you should watch Countryfile... apparently it is a problem... diseases are then spread via badgers and other wildlife

How is it worse than foxes and badgers themselves etc? Given the dog is vaccinated?
  • How bad is literacy these days. '...constant excretion abuse'? That doesn't even make sense, how is the excrement being abused? Some of those e-petitions are appallingly written, no wonder they struggle to attract signatures.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    As a cyclist and dog owner, horse shit really pisses me off. I always pick up after my 2 dogs. I've heard loads of arguments, that its harmless, good for environment etc etc. That's all well and good if its on grass or something, but when it's on the road of path where it can't seep into the mud then it's a different matter and it just sits there for weeks stinking.