Totally lost my mojo this morning

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2015 in Commuting chat
I was in a "really can't be arsed" mood this morning, so I forced myself to ride in rather than take the easy option and drive.

Temp was hovering about 2C and the road outside mine looked dry (ish) so it seemed perfectly fine to ride in. Duly set off and left my village, cruising along then went out into the country and still fine.

The car on its side, embedded in a tree was a clue something was a bit off, and I suppose the other car 10' off the road and stopped in the bushes just before it may also indicate an issue. The bike squirming out almost from beneath me right after that kind of gave the game away though.

After this the bike just would not stay in a straight line and I totally lost any confidence I had. I know we have that "my cycling is harder than yours" rubbish sometimes mentioned but it wasn't so much me stacking it that was the problem - I cycle on NSL roads and I was terrified that I'd lose it and get smacked by a car / lorry that couldn't avoid me.

Every car that came up behind me had me so nervous I could barely ride. I actually had to get off the bike at 3 points: twice because the 90 degree bends were covered in ice and I could barely walk on it and once because I had a lorry and a load of cars being held up by me.

That was truly the most scared I have been on a bike.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Understandable. These days are the worst. You can prepare for ice with the right kit but if you're out and you encounter large stretches, little you can do. Our weather is so variable by location at the moment that these icy mornings tend to show up rather unannounced.

I came off the week before last. Not all that bad, I was almost at work. Didn't shake me too much as I was in the park. Had it been on roads I would have had a similar crisis.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    edited February 2015
    Kieran - Coming out tomorrow? The route practically goes past your house!
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Sounds scary. Time to get some studded tyres?

They are hard work, but when you get back on the slicks you absolutely fly. I'm tempted to put mine back on for the commute just for the training benefits.
  • Glad you survived. Even crossing Vondel Park with ice on it, I hate with a passion. My rule of thumb, when doing the highland commute, was any ice on cars meant ice Spikers only.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have studded tyres, but didn't think I needed them this morning
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I have studded tyres, but didn't think I needed them this morning

Yep. Ditto when I came off or, rather, I swapped bikes. So left the Condor with the studs at home to take the PX out because it was dry.

And it was dry. Until the foggy bit. Where it was much colder.
  • R0B75 wrote:
    Kieran - Coming out tomorrow? The route practically goes past your house!

Wet roads at the moment, and it's going to drop below freezing again tonight... Met office are predicting a wide-spread frost so I think that some of the stretches will be very iffy.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • So by "mojo", you actually mean "control of my bowels"?
  • other possibility? is take tow paths/bridleways? since you have cross bike.

ice is far less of a issue off road in my experience.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    So by "mojo", you actually mean "control of my bowels"?
    :lol: I don't think the whole thing would fit in the subject line.
    I think that's fair enough KB. Those that are coming out with the bravado about the weather are generally in London. Generally it's warmer, roads are gritted and the traffic isn't moving as fast, or at all.
    I don't think anyone on here would encourage someone to go out in conditions that are properly dangerous rather than just some slight perceived danger.
    So, MTFU. ;-)
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    ... I was terrified that I'd lose it and get smacked by a car / lorry that couldn't avoid me...
    Yup that's the thing to be truly worried about. You losing it on your own will likely just have you bruised and with a bit of road rash. A vehicle losing it and collecting you as well doesn't even need you to have lost control ...
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • indeed, falling off and bruising ones hip, and pride is one thing being hit by not in control car/van is another!
  • other possibility? is take tow paths/bridleways? since you have cross bike.

ice is far less of a issue off road in my experience.

I might do tonight - I was considering the longer route on the way home for just this reason (that and falling off won't result in pavement patè)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Sometimes you have to just write it off as a "bad day". Boss came in this morning white as a sheet because he'd had five near misses. That's from the CEO of BC who does 40 miles a day on a Brompton. Sometimes the weather's against you, sometimes it's other drivers, sometimes it's just because it's a Tuesday, or whatever. You've probably not lost your mojo - it's just one of those things.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Hope you're able to get those stains out of your Chamois!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've not ridden for a while, partly because of working away, but partly because of exactly this; I watched a car sliding towards me and got scared.

For me, riding is primarily for fun. If I'm worried about being hit by a car then I don't enjoy it, so I'm waiting for no frost, and sunshine. I've done four winters, and I'm fed up with them.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Sometimes you have to just write it off as a "bad day". Boss came in this morning white as a sheet because he'd had five near misses. That's from the CEO of BC who does 40 miles a day on a Brompton. Sometimes the weather's against you, sometimes it's other drivers, sometimes it's just because it's a Tuesday, or whatever. You've probably not lost your mojo - it's just one of those things.

I feel better for knowing that :)

Still need a hug though.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Come off twice this year so far on ice, neither were particularly cold days, which is what caught me out. Last time was 4C and it was almost like frost, rather than sheet ice, on a back road cycle route. Front wheel washed out on a corner.

I have now completely lost my confidence in cornering, even if it is dry. Just don't seem to be able to get back into the flow and I tiptoe round any bend, especially in the wet. And because I am tense on the bike and more likely to be dragging the brakes, it just make cornering feel more sketchy, so a vicious circle.

Not sure how to get the confidence back.
  • An 'ice off' at low speed and with no one else involved can result in a fracture putting you out of action for a long time, as you get older it takes longer to fix. Even here in the tropical south we've had days were it looks ok in the City but by the time I'm into the countryside and up on the Downs the puddles have that icy look about them and the fields white with frost. Although it's harder work I'm keeping the ice studs on for a bit longer. I also love the rice crispy sound.
  • There's some particularly wild weather coming in the next week or two. Definitely some sleet, snow and icy rain around as well. So not a bad idea to keep the studs on.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    msmancunia wrote:

I feel better for knowing that :)

Still need a hug though.

Oi, don't get fresh, I'm a catholic.

:D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    Lefthook wrote:
    I have now completely lost my confidence in cornering, even if it is dry. Just don't seem to be able to get back into the flow and I tiptoe round any bend, especially in the wet. And because I am tense on the bike and more likely to be dragging the brakes, it just make cornering feel more sketchy, so a vicious circle.
    Not sure how to get the confidence back.
    Wow we're in the presence of royalty. Nice to have SBW stooping down to Commuting Chat's level :)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • An 'ice off' at low speed and with no one else involved can result in a fracture putting you out of action for a long time, as you get older it takes longer to fix. Even here in the tropical south we've had days were it looks ok in the City but by the time I'm into the countryside and up on the Downs the puddles have that icy look about them and the fields white with frost. Although it's harder work I'm keeping the ice studs on for a bit longer. I also love the rice crispy sound.

Even without ice, a spill at slow speed can have huge ramifications I came off December 2013 fractured my skull, multiple subdural hemotomas etc, which have caused well minor brain damage.

In other words Its changed me, the most common cause of what I got is a fall, it's not that common to be fair and you can't live your life on the what if.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I read this thread, opened the back door, felt a bit chilly. Got the turbo out.
  • Rigga wrote:
    I read this thread, opened the back door, felt a bit chilly. Got the turbo out.

Wise move. I've decided to reward myself for my stupidity by eating unhealthy food this evening. There may also be alcohol involved
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I'm going out tomorrow for a 50, allegedly will be 2c, 10mph winds, should be relatively ice free I reckon - heading out about 7am, but on fairly big roads - fingers crossed!

Don't think I could manage 50 on the Turbo, 40 I have managed before!

I wish I had picked up some of those studded tyres when Planet X had them for £12.99 I think it was..... :cry:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    I'm going out tomorrow for a 50, allegedly will be 2c, 10mph winds, should be relatively ice free I reckon - heading out about 7am, but on fairly big roads - fingers crossed!

Don't think I could manage 50 on the Turbo, 40 I have managed before!

I wish I had picked up some of those studded tyres when Planet X had them for £12.99 I think it was..... :cry:

That was after they went up! I got mine for £10.99 each :mrgreen:
  • Yep. That's what I paid as well. Brilliant things. I like wired tyres in the winter. They go on so easily!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    There's something to be said for being on the ball enough to actually be scared, without having all the inconvenience of falling off or being run over.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629
    Daniel B wrote:
    Luxury. I did 2C up to 1400ft elevation into a 25mph headwind earlier in the week. My ride's way harder than your ride.

In seriousness, last few longish ones I've been on have been fights against getting exposure. Low temp plus damp plus wind = serious wind chill.