Groin "inguinial" hernia

wide phil
wide phil Posts: 51
Ive had this surgery 3 weeks ago. When will I be able to ride, Im going stir crazy... not to mention weight gaining being bored doing nothing much !!! Still have x1 sore b' ollack and a tender groin area
Anyone else gone through this annoyance

Comments

• jimwalsh
    jimwalsh Posts: 113
    speak to your surgeon.

advice from random strangers on the internet while entertaining is not really what you need...
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I've had two of these Phil (one was a femoral).
    One was fixed with open surgery and stitches, the other with a patch and 3 keyholes.
    The laparoscopic patch repair was easier to recover from, - maybe 6 weeks or so. The open repair was more like 12 weeks and was no picnic. You will know when you're getting nearer the mark as you'll be able to stretch without pain, - any earlier stretching and you can feel the repair tugging (and making your eyes water). Both still had twinges up to 12 months after the ops, - these felt like minor bits of 'debonding' as the repair settled.
    Everyone is different, keep doing the rehab excercises and see how you go. I reckon it's pretty easy to check how bike fit you are, using a static bike to start with, - with something like football or rugby though, you've got to be much more conservative.
    As above, check with your butcher.
    Good luck.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I'm exactly same as Harry above, had two, one open one keyhole. You'll know when you can start to move, but do not push it, pointless as you'll just move the mesh likely and you'll be straight back in there.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    I had one 18 months ago - open surgery repair.
    I was back on my hybrid riding with my young boys within 3 weeks, but it was probably 3 months before i could push really hard on the road again. Even now although there is no pain, i'm still "aware" that i've had the surgery - some numbness etc but to be honest that's far better than your intestines hanging out where they shouldn't be :-)
    Take your time.... there are no prizes for buggering it up again!
  • Im 4 weeks post op this Monday. Im thinking give the bike a go but still have a pain in the nuts in the evenings predominately. Will try and have a steady ride next week I think, see how it goes
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    I'm at the doc this afternoon with a suspected one of these :cry:
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • wide phil
    wide phil Posts: 51
    Enjoy !!! I can say its a very unpleasant time after the op. My gall bladder removal was a breeze in comparison, but then I guess everyone has different types of recovery. Mine was an uncomfortable affair. 7 weeks now post op and Im back on the bike, getting some 30 mile road rides on my new Defy.... and struggling with fitness and weight gain due to weeks of in house boredom eating !!!
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I had one towards the end of November 2009 when I was 21. The pain after surgery was incredible. Every time I stood up to go to the toilet the muscles in my stomach would spasm. That lasted a week or so then the wound just would not heal it was ridiculous. I was off work for 7 weeks in the end and even when I went back the wound would swell back up until I drained it myself as the Dr or hospital wouldnt do anything. It was supposed to be dissolvable stitches but somehow one got buried I think.
    It was a bloody nightmare.
    I cant remember when I first felt confident to exercise but I bought a bike to use instead of the running I was doing at the time.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I had this op about 2 years ago - see my diary here:-

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12904901

Even after it all settled - I still got flare up for many months later. Bizarrely I keep it under control by doing crunchie sit ups ! -

Any other cyclists reading this might want to be wary of the mesh repair - because where the mesh is stitched into place moves around quite a lot when cycling. I have other hip\hamstring issues which have prevented me getting back to cycling - so the mesh hasn't been an issue - but it could be if ever I got back to serious miles...
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    kingrollo wrote:

Even after it all settled - I still got flare up for many months later. Bizarrely I keep it under control by doing crunchie sit ups ! -

Any other cyclists reading this might want to be wary of the mesh repair - because where the mesh is stitched into place moves around quite a lot when cycling. I have other hip\hamstring issues which have prevented me getting back to cycling - so the mesh hasn't been an issue - but it could be if ever I got back to serious miles...

You will find that the majority (almost all) of adult Inguinal hernia repairs will involve the use of a mesh as this provides the lowest rate of hernia recurrence.
  • AK_jnr
    I dont see how the mesh can move around. You are more likely to get a hernia on the other side rather than re tear the existing one.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I have a small hernia & the doc gave me the choice of the op - mainly to stop it getting worse. I said no & started to do less miles (but more frequency) and it hasn't played up since [touches wood].

In your case i'd write off the summer for cycling and your cycling fitness & throw yourself into something else instead (after taking advice on what sports might suit). Might be less fustrating that way & you get to do a new sport for a year...? I'm no medic though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • kingrollo
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

You will find that the majority (almost all) of adult Inguinal hernia repairs will involve the use of a mesh as this provides the lowest rate of hernia recurrence.

Only partially true......once the mesh is in they can't actually see a re occurrance on ultrasound.

Even ignoring the above - what determines a success ? - for example I had groin pain for almost 2 years after my mesh repair - I wouldn't have another mesh repair - you can choose where you are treated - so can easily find someone who does non mesh method.
  • Spooked
    Spooked Posts: 90
    Everyone's different. I'd try and build up strength by walking first. Then move onto a turbo if you have one and then ride short easy routes.

I did the opposite. Did the London to Brighton off road two weeks after surgery which wasn't a great idea. I'm sure this set my healing back and two years after I still get pains when I over do it.

Just take it easy. Your body will know when it's ready. Just don't go hard too soon :)
  • iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    kingrollo wrote:
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Pretty much all adult surgeons will perform a mesh repair unless in very special circumstances. The Shouldice clinic teaches a specific non mesh method but unless a surgeon has been specifically trained in these there recurrence rates are likely to be too high to safely use this technique.

It is simply not true that a mesh would prevent an ultrasound from detecting a recurrence. Ultrasound is a dynamic imaging format and operator dependent so the rate limiting factor will be the quality of the person doing the scan.

Chronic pain after hernia repair is an issue and although many ideas why it is poorly understood and not quite as simple as being due to the mesh.
  • Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

it disappears when i lie down and pops up after a while when i stand up. Not alot of discomfort, just a mild burning sensation once in a while. I would say its small-medium right now

I plan to see the doctor and get a surgery in 2 months time.

1) is it safe to do purely machine exercises in the mean time? ie.. seated chest press, seated dips, seated rows, seated machine preacher curls?

2) whats the proper breathing method to NOT increase intra abdominal pressure? I know the Valsalva Maneuver is a no-go obviously, but what about stomach vacuums WHILE still breathing normally through the nose and lungs

Does blowing out your stomach while holding your breath increase intra abdomical pressure? Or does sucking in your abdomen increase the pressure??

3) Now in 2015, is the laprosopic TEP mesh method gold standard for least recurrence, chronic pain and post op complications? Still so much differing opinions and literature out there! sigh

TIA for any advice, and i hope everyone on this thread have made full recoveries from this unfortunate injury...
  • kingrollo
    Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

it disappears when i lie down and pops up after a while when i stand up. Not alot of discomfort, just a mild burning sensation once in a while. I would say its small-medium right now

1) is it safe to do purely machine exercises in the mean time? ie.. seated chest press, seated dips, seated rows, seated machine preacher curls?

2) whats the proper breathing method to NOT increase intra abdominal pressure? I know the Valsalva Maneuver is a no-go obviously, but what about stomach vacuums WHILE still breathing normally through the nose and lungs

Does blowing out your stomach while holding your breath increase intra abdomical pressure? Or does sucking in your abdomen increase the pressure??

3) Now in 2015, is the laprosopic TEP mesh method gold standard for least recurrence, chronic pain and post op complications? Still so much differing opinions and literature out there! sigh

TIA for any advice, and i hope everyone on this thread have made full recoveries from this unfortunate injury...

The only danger carrying a hernia is that of strangulation - ie it pops out and twists and doesn't go back in (or something similar)

I have mine getting on for 3 years - I still get the odd bit of swelling, twinges - mine was a mesh repair.

The advice I was given that pre op you can do pretty much what you like. Pain should be your guide.

One of the best things I did was invest in some 'Sub' compression boxer shorts around £16 from Amazon - these are great about 4 weeks post op ......

the pain killers make you constipated - so eat stuff that makes you go with soft output ! - Prune juice was great tip I picked up.

Be aware that outcomes and recovery vary wildly - they do so many of these I suppose thats expected.
  • AK_jnr
    Had mine done in 2009. I was only 21 at the time but I have had no problems since... but for 6 months it was a nightmare. It kept getting infected and opening up. That was open surgery though so dont worry about that. Also the pain in the first week was incredible as my abs kept going in to spasm.

My mrs just had a bigger op on her ovaries using keyhole and she was fine after a week.
  • Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

The only danger carrying a hernia is that of strangulation - ie it pops out and twists and doesn't go back in (or something similar)

I have mine getting on for 3 years - I still get the odd bit of swelling, twinges - mine was a mesh repair.

The advice I was given that pre op you can do pretty much what you like. Pain should be your guide.

One of the best things I did was invest in some 'Sub' compression boxer shorts around £16 from Amazon - these are great about 4 weeks post op ......

the pain killers make you constipated - so eat stuff that makes you go with soft output ! - Prune juice was great tip I picked up.

Be aware that outcomes and recovery vary wildly - they do so many of these I suppose thats expected.

Glad to hear your recovery is getting on well! did you do a keyhole? or open
  • Had mine done in 2009. I was only 21 at the time but I have had no problems since... but for 6 months it was a nightmare. It kept getting infected and opening up. That was open surgery though so dont worry about that. Also the pain in the first week was incredible as my abs kept going in to spasm.

My mrs just had a bigger op on her ovaries using keyhole and she was fine after a week.

I'm still deciding between open and keyhole. The studies seem to indicate both have the same long time rate of recurrence and chronic pain...

What sort of bikes do you ride?
  • kingrollo
    Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

Glad to hear your recovery is getting on well! did you do a keyhole? or open

Open.

Id just get it over with quickly - Its one of the most routine surgery's there is. Thats not to say recovery is routing. I was in considerable pain for around 3-4 days - and in the first couple of years was convinced that I had bosted it open again.

Which hospital you under ?
  • AK_jnr
    I was down for keyhole but was offered open the next week so jumped at the chance. Happy with how it went apart from the infections though. I am a carpenter as well so its had some vigorous testing.
  • Been diagnosed with a femoral hernia (similar to inguinal, but down a touch, where the femoral artery passes through to the leg).
    Can get keyhole mesh surgery quickly and easily here in France, but as it's 'small' (doctor's words) and it isn't causing me any pain, I wonder if I can avoid surgery altogether, especially given that people here seem to have had trouble with it.
    When I saw the size of the mesh (about the area of a CD case) I was shocked at how big it was.
    Asked if I would feel it to which I was told 'skinny cyclists like you tend to feel it far more than overweight people...'!
    Doctor also said hernias cannot heal themselves....
    Any advice welcome!
  • AK_jnr
    Not sure what yours is like but there is no way I'd of left mine. As soon as it popped out I was straight down the Dr's. I didnt fancy it getting bigger and bigger and potentially going in my nuts haha.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I'd go for it Bernie, it's in a bit of a dodgy spot, but once it's done it's done. As you say, it won't get better.
    I got back to swimming at a decent standard within a few weeks, with just the occasional twinge. Cycling has been no problem at all. AS for the skinny bit, I'm not too sure what he means by that, - I can feel the little screws (if I fiddle around down there...) that fix the mesh in place, just under the skin, but there's no down side to that.
    As usual..."everyone is different, and your doc knows best"
  • AK_jnr
    Screws?! Is there really. Im gonna get told off by the mrs for having my hands down my pants but gotta try and find them now lol
  • Thing is, mine is only very minor. No visible bulge or anything most of the time. And 99% of the time, no pain at all.

The doctor today initially said there was no hernia, but then on a 2nd look diagnosed the more unusual (1 in 10) femoral hernia.

Maybe I'll get it done at the end of this season.
  • Had open surgery done 9 days ago.
    Nowhere near as bad as friends/customers where telling me.
    Took painkillers for 2 days, next day walked 1 mile, 2 miles the next and 5 miles the next.
    Desperate to get back on the bike but not going to chance it until week 3.
    Surprised at the length of the scar, really neat job though.
  • barnowl wrote:
    Had open surgery done 9 days ago.
    Took painkillers for 2 days, next day walked 1 mile, 2 miles the next and 5 miles the next.

Can you feel the plastic screen inside?
    Was it bad enough that there was no doubt in your mind about getting the op done?
    Cheers
  • barnowl wrote:
    Had open surgery done 9 days ago.

Can you feel the plastic screen inside?
    Was it bad enough that there was no doubt in your mind about getting the op done?
    Cheers

I nearly cancelled it because of all the horror stories I was hearing but I'm glad it's done now.

It was sometimes achy especially if I kept pushing it back in but not really painful.
    My consultant said it would only get bigger if it was left.

Can't feel the screen yet but I have still got a dressing on it at the mo.