A decent backpack

2»

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I use a lomo - 25l white

The problems are that its heavy, there are no compartments and there is no light loop. I carry valuables in wash bag and have stitched a bit of bag strap to the front that I clip an R1 too.

I try not to use it all year only when the weather is bad due to the weight - in normal circumstance i use a DHB Flite 25, which is very comfy and is cycling specific, so it sits lower on my back.

I deal with the lack of compartments by using carrier bags inside the main bag - It would be quite possible to use the mesh pockets with drybags in them - especially the gourdon-30 which has really deep mesh pockets (deeper than my cycling bottles)

At £25, fluro-yellow and weighing between 525g and 700g (the back-pad/sit mat is removable but I like it in) I find it hard to beat.

The 20-litre gourdon has a shockcord "accessry cord" on its back that could take a light loop easily - I am wondering about putting something similar onto my 20-litre, as I find that useful in the 20-litre for putting a wet coat when walking.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    After a full year use of the alpkit and I am still happy with it. I have just purchased the Gourdon 20 partially because I now have a locker at work and don't need such a big bag. The older bag has been used on many holidays with the family.

Fantastic value for money and keeps everything dry in the heaviest of downpours, comfy as well. I will be stitching reflective material on the newer gourdon 20 when it arrives.

Have thought about stitching a small hoop in which I can attach a simple cheapy LED light on the back for darker days.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    If anyone wants a deuter race exp air I've got a red one that I've used twice that I don't need, backpacks don't work for me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I also use a Lomo
  • mlgt wrote:
    After a full year use of the alpkit and I am still happy with it. I have just purchased the Gourdon 20 partially because I now have a locker at work and don't need such a big bag. The older bag has been used on many holidays with the family.

Fantastic value for money and keeps everything dry in the heaviest of downpours, comfy as well. I will be stitching reflective material on the newer gourdon 20 when it arrives.

Have thought about stitching a small hoop in which I can attach a simple cheapy LED light on the back for darker days.

Two further recommendations: firstly, SOLAS tape is self adhesive and works superbly on the Alpkit bags. Secondly, you can attach a Fibre Flare to the shock-cord really well.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366

Two further recommendations: firstly, SOLAS tape is self adhesive and works superbly on the Alpkit bags. Secondly, you can attach a Fibre Flare to the shock-cord really well.

Thanks for that. I was looking at material to stitch onto or using Velcro as I would like to use the bag when out and about with my kids so didn't want a huge reflective on the back.

Will look into a fibre flare. Ive found having an almost dying knog inside the rucksack aids too as the light gets through the material. However with the flare just attaching on that is also a good idea.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0