A decent backpack

mlgt
mlgt Posts: 366
edited February 2016 in Commuting chat
I've been commuting with a karrimor rucksack for a few years and its slowly falling apart.
This is the bag I have - http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-tr ... e=79202218
Its been a great rucksack, used it on travels to asia etc and has useful compartments etc. But not for commuting.

Wanted to ask for some suggestions for cycling equivalent. Ideally need around 25+ litres

I'm aware that wiggle do a dhb rucksacks - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/rucksacks/?ea=4294789716
Anyone used these before? or researched them?

Mainly carrying work clothes, so now every Monday I bring in 3 shirts, 1 pair of trousers, socks, underwear and swim towel. Leave shoes at work and Fridays I bring in casual clothes and on occasion a jacket, but have since left a light fleece at work.

Don't want to spend a huge amount as the Osprey, Deuter brands etc ask for over £50 for anything above 25litres.

Look forward to replies. Thanks in advance.
N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0

Comments

• Alpkit Gourdon 20. Completely waterproof and very well made.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-20
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Ortlieb seem very popular on my route, although they are messenger orientated. I have never used one, but they look fairly well made and wet proof-ish.

I have an Eagle Creek rucksack, quite a few years old now but it is excellent. The most comfortable bag I have ever tried. It is very big inside for the external dimensions and also has lots of zip pockets.

One of the things I always look for in a bag is the waist band that clips up.
  • Ive got one of these which if you shop around you can find for £35 ish, it's comfortable with numerous compartments and water resistant. Well recommended.

http://www.provizsports.com/en_gb/provi ... 2014-large
  • mlgt
    Thanks for the current suggestions. Interested in the Alpkit. But think the 20l might be a bit a bit on the small side. But shame they don't do the same design for the 25l as they do for the 20l.

About to press buy on the 25l, then I came across a review on lomo bags. However it seems they are heavier compared to the alpkit, but has anyone else compared the alpkit to the lomo bags?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Just got a Deuter Bike One 20. Very pleased.

Why not just bring in a shirt a day and leave trousis at work?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:

Why not just bring in a shirt a day and leave trousis at work?
    +1 on the Deuter 20. Also have a Deuter Race (12l I think) which could take a shirt and trousers each day. And you could cram in a towel if needed.

Also, the Eagle Creek Pack-It folder is excellent for keeping a shirt crease-free
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mlgt
    I bring the shirts for the week and take home on a Thursday. I leave my shoes, and tie in my pedestal. Suit jacket on a hanger on my chair.

The Deuter are a little pricy in my opinion. Thanks for the feedback though :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • The Rover wrote:
    Ive got one of these which if you shop around you can find for £35 ish, it's comfortable with numerous compartments and water resistant. Well recommended.

How long have you had it?

I bought one about a year ago and the quality was fairly bad, the waterproof zipps stopped being waterproof after about 6 months commuting, the stitching started to come apart etc..

I do like the HighViz triangle on the back, and how I can swap it for the illuminated one when I ride though fog, but quality was pants.
    But saying that, they gave me 50% off my next one as the first fell apart so I bought the same thing again. The same thing has started happening so not sure if I'll get a 3rd.

I saw a decent waterproof bag by lomo that I can't find just now that I remember was pretty cheap and would be my next one.
  • Another nod for Deuter Race, commuted daily for over two years and it's still going strong
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • The Rover wrote:
    Ive got one of these which if you shop around you can find for £35 ish, it's comfortable with numerous compartments and water resistant. Well recommended.

I bought one about a year ago and the quality was fairly bad, the waterproof zipps stopped being waterproof after about 6 months commuting, the stitching started to come apart etc..

I do like the HighViz triangle on the back, and how I can swap it for the illuminated one when I ride though fog, but quality was pants.
    But saying that, they gave me 50% off my next one as the first fell apart so I bought the same thing again. The same thing has started happening so not sure if I'll get a 3rd.

I saw a decent waterproof bag by lomo that I can't find just now that I remember was pretty cheap and would be my next one.

Is this the lomo bag? I've got one of the large waterproof motorbiking bags which has been very good.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/high- ... cling.html

Re the proviz, I've had it less than a year with only light use to be fair but it's been spot on, hopefully it'll fare better than the ones you've had.

Cheers.
  • dhope
    mlgt wrote:
    The Deuter are a little pricy in my opinion. Thanks for the feedback though :)
    They are, but they'll last a while (mine's been going 5yrs so far) so the £20 premium is possibly worth it. Certainly I just paid the extra when wanting a 25L bag as the Race had been so flawless
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    My Deuter Superbike is still going after 7-8 years - not sure how much longer it'll last but definitely sticking with it when I get a new one
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Alpkit Gourdon 20. Completely waterproof and very well made.

This, this, and only this.

I'm on my second one, simply because the first one got too dirty for my inner tart.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    SecretSam wrote:

So have I, I'm not so impressed (this will be the 3rd time of typing for this rant apologies if you're rereading it...)

My main gripe is that it's not very rigid at the back, when you start filling it up (at 20 l that happens easily) it deforms and rolls around your back.

My previous 'sack is a Gelert with webbing stretched across a frame. 25 litres (better size for me) always comfy. I had it mended after realising I was missing it.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Asprilla wrote:

I'm on my second one, simply because the first one got too dirty for my inner tart.

And again. Love mine, practical and waterproof. As it doesn't have internal dividers you can get a lot of stuff in one!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • mlgt
    Thanks guys. I opted for the 25l one, although not sure how it looks like with the viewing pane on the back. I have some reflective strips at home so I can cover it up.

Reason being for the 25 over the 20 is that I will want to also want to carry sports kit on Sundays so wanted the extra 5 litres for a pair of footie boots and trainers for when I grab some lunch afterwards.

The 30 seemed over kill and opted against the Lomo bag as I don't think I will need 30l all the time and this would entertain my requirements.

I could be wrong of course and buy a 20l as well, but the price is very fair. Hope it arrives in the morning, if not I guess I can try it out over the weekend :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • The Rover wrote:
    The Rover wrote:

Is this the lomo bag? I've got one of the large waterproof motorbiking bags which has been very good.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/high- ... cling.html

Re the proviz, I've had it less than a year with only light use to be fair but it's been spot on, hopefully it'll fare better than the ones you've had.

Cheers.
    I saw a girl in the train station with one of those LOMO bags the other day and it looked ace.
    I use a LOMO hold all for traveling offshore and it`s the best bag I`ve ever used. Superb value.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    WarrenG wrote:
    My Deuter Superbike is still going after 7-8 years - not sure how much longer it'll last but definitely sticking with it when I get a new one
    +1.
    Since 2008 and good as new. Expandable too for the days you need some space.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I saw a girl in the train station with one of those LOMO bags the other day and it looked ace.
    I use a LOMO hold all for traveling offshore and it`s the best bag I`ve ever used. Superb value.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, I've got this one and it's been stuffed beyond its limits, dragged, thrown, drenched and strapped down :mrgreen:

Other than needing a clean it's still in great cond.

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-B ... gs-uk.html
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Deuter race EXP, no questions. Its expensive but its damn good. I don't put a price on back comfort (weak back). Riding 20 miles each way I often forget I'm even wearing it, even when packed. If really needed you can get shoes, jeans, a shirt, an iPad mini and a large beer bottle in each side pocket. Handy eh!

Built in helmet holder and waterproof cover too.

Its also a great day bag in sunny countries with the air gap and has also been trekked above 4,000 metres. No signs of wear yet.

It only falls down on volume, if you need more either learn to need less or look at something else.
  • dhope
    iPete wrote:
    If you need more, learn to need less.
    You're a marketeers dream. :twisted:
    "Product doesn't work for you? Learn to work for the product"

So am I however. Race slightly too small? Buy the larger version as well!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    mlgt wrote:
    About to press buy on the 25l, then I came across a review on lomo bags. However it seems they are heavier compared to the alpkit, but has anyone else compared the alpkit to the lomo bags?
    mlgt wrote:
    The 30 seemed over kill and opted against the Lomo bag as I don't think I will need 30l
    I have this LOMO Hi-Vis-Cycle-Bag-s.jpg and it is good. The only downside is that it is just a stuff sack, no compartments. It is, however, fully water proof, can even be used as a buoyancy aid!

I have used it to take a pair of steel toe boots, an A4 lever arch folder and a boilersuit all at the same time, so I think your footie kit should fit!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    gingaman wrote:
    mlgt wrote:
    mlgt wrote:
    The 30 seemed over kill and opted against the Lomo bag as I don't think I will need 30l
    I have this LOMO Hi-Vis-Cycle-Bag-s.jpg and it is good. The only downside is that it is just a stuff sack, no compartments. It is, however, fully water proof, can even be used as a buoyancy aid!

I have used it to take a pair of steel toe boots, an A4 lever arch folder and a boilersuit all at the same time, so I think your footie kit should fit!

I have the Ortleib one which is very similar. My issues with it were that you couldn't compress is when carrying less, it was rather heavy to start with and when full the square shape sometimes impeded your shoulder check view.

The Alpkit is much better in this regard. It weighs the square root of fuck all for a start.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Asprilla wrote:
    when full the square shape sometimes impeded your shoulder check
    +1, although in the photo above they seem to have folded the corners in, which might improve over the shoulder visability
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    If you need more, learn to need less.
    You're a marketeers dream. :twisted:
    "Product doesn't work for you? Learn to work for the product"

So am I however. Race slightly too small? Buy the larger version as well!

But I heart compromise! Need gears? learn to need less.
  • mlgt
    Hi I ordered the alpkit in the end and agreed with others in regards to shoulder check and amount of items to be put inside a 25l bag.

I like the idea that it will pack up smaller, but wished that the 25l had the same drawstring idea as the 20l.

Should be arriving today or tomorrow. Had already thought about modding some of it by using velco strips to creating a smaller pocket to keep keys and other items needed to go on the top without it being swallowed up and falling down the bottom. Also maybe a strip to hang a clip on light on.

This seems to be a regular comment from others. I also intend to cover up the viewing pane with reflective 3M reflectives.

Either way will do a review on the bag when it arrives and offer feedback :)

Thanks again to all that contributed to the post and helping me make my decision :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    iPete wrote:
    Deuter race EXP, no questions. Its expensive but its damn good. I don't put a price on back comfort (weak back). Riding 20 miles each way I often forget I'm even wearing it, even when packed. If really needed you can get shoes, jeans, a shirt, an iPad mini and a large beer bottle in each side pocket. Handy eh!

Built in helmet holder and waterproof cover too.

Its also a great day bag in sunny countries with the air gap and has also been trekked above 4,000 metres. No signs of wear yet.

It only falls down on volume, if you need more get a Deuter Cross Air.
    FTFY
  • mlgt
    HI all,

The bag arrived on saturday morning and as said it weighs next to nothing. The first change I did was cover the preview pane with some 3m Reflective paper. Looks much neater and reflects well.

The next change I will be doing is taping the castelli armwarmers carry bag on the inside with velcro tape to create an inside pocket to hold keys, change etc. Things that will sit in the bag. Folded all my work shirt and trousers inside and its very neat. Suggestion to get the 20l might have been the sensible choice if travelling light.
    But playing five aside on fridays mean I will be carrying casual clothes, trainers, footie kit and astro boots might be a bit of a squeeze. The top handle can simply house my helmet by clipping it in.

I would agree with some online reviews that the straps and backing are not great, but compare to the deuter version it is 3 times the price. Since I only use the bag twice a week its a good solution for me.

As before thanks to everyone who made suggestions and comments.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Asprilla wrote:

And again. Love mine, practical and waterproof. As it doesn't have internal dividers you can get a lot of stuff in one!

Bump - I have been using this (the 20litre) both cycling, and as my favourite hillwalking rucsac for about 4-years now. They have just modified the 30-litre version by adding side mesh pockets, and I have just bought that for when I want to carry something else (and in fluro-yellow). It easily takes my bike helmet but still, to quote Asprilla, "weighs the square root of fark all".

I have put maps in the external pocket for a hydration bladder.

Alpkit have pretty good customer service too.

ETA: The straps and backing are a bit minimalist but that's part of the idea, they are not absorbent, and dry quickly - they are also pretty good in wet snow.

The 25-litre still doesn't have mesh pockets though.

It is hard to think of an equivalent rucsac for £25.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I use a lomo - 25l white

The problems are that its heavy, there are no compartments and there is no light loop. I carry valuables in wash bag and have stitched a bit of bag strap to the front that I clip an R1 too.

I try not to use it all year only when the weather is bad due to the weight - in normal circumstance i use a DHB Flite 25, which is very comfy and is cycling specific, so it sits lower on my back.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills