Six Nations 2015

Comments

• stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Heaslip not starting is not that big a loss

He gets a lot of attention when he performs well, well when the pack performs well, but is absent on occasion

Against a tough England back row, although hard to drop him, we start with a better set without him. O'Mahony, Murphy and O'Brien is tough starting back row

I think we will miss him come substitute time in that we don't have the depth of cover we may have had in the past
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I reckon that if England drop Nick Easter and Tom Croft from the bench and bring in the now available Courtney Lawes and Tom Wood that will be a significant advantage from the bench that may just be the difference between two very well matched teams.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,390
    stu-bim wrote:
    Big one this week, could be the decider

Not really, I don't see France as contenders :wink:
  • stu-bim
    Pross wrote:
    stu-bim wrote:
    Big one this week, could be the decider

Not really, I don't see France as contenders :wink:

I meant Scotland v Italy
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • You never know which France will turn up. There, got that in early.

#clichewatch
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • crispybug2
    You never know which France will turn up. There, got that in early.

#clichewatch

GOT THAT IN EARLY!!!!

The tournament started at the beginning of February, that's later than the tackle I would put in on an opposition fly half!!
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    You never know which France will turn up. There, got that in early.

#clichewatch

GOT THAT IN EARLY!!!!

The tournament started at the beginning of February, that's later than the tackle I would put in on an opposition fly half!!

Indeed. But I'm Welsh and, as far as I can see, no-one's posted the cliche in relation the fixture that I was posting it in relation to ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    Scottish Rugby Teams = Belgian Cycling Teams
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    Great result for Italy, absolute nailed on penalty try at the end.
  • Find it hard to take rugby seriously as more and more of the starting 15's are not actually from the country they are representing.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Yawn. Footie, athletics and others have same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong but the reason Giggs originally chose to play for Wales footie team after playing throughout the England schoolboys/youth teams was because he didn't think England would choose him with all the talent around. Best left footed player England produced and never got to select. Curse the grandparent rules. I'd love it to be according to your parent's nationality with place of birth. Born in England, parents English you play for England or not if you're not good enough. None of this claiming Welsh or Scots or Trinidad and Tobago because of a grandparent (remember that div 2 English player who went to footie world cup for Trinidad, sole white guy in the team and got publicity for it).

Of course English cricket team would never have done half as well without white south African players over the years!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,390
    No, they reason Giggs played for Wales was he considered himself Welsh. He was born in Cardiff and lived until he was 6. His parents were Welsh and his father was a rugby player for Cardiff who moved north to go professional. He only played for England schools as he went to school in England, your nationality is irrelevant for schools football. By contrast Michael Owen played for Wales schools.
  • For the removal of all doubt and the putting to bed of this oft repeated myth that Ryan Giggs could have played for Ingerlund.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 359241.stm

Please note the various references to the phrase not eligible.

Yes with today's rules he would be but not then.
  • ddraver
    yeah so anyway

Ay thoughts on Sunday? I'm not quite sure how to put words to my feelings. Ireland deserved winners but England seemed to be playing without any purpose. Even when they ve lost over the last few years, you could see what they were about. Ireland somewhat expertly shut everything down, won all the 50 50 incidents etc. Even Robshaw looked shaky! One can't help but wonder what might have been if England were at full strength..?

If England had scored one of their really 50 50 tries then the game would have felt very similar to last year and it could have been put down to home advantage but in this case I don't think it would be fair. What concerns me is that Joe Schmidt showed the world how to beat Wales expertly last year. I am concerned that he may have done the same for England this year...

Anyway, I really don't want to make it sound like I'm making excuses. One of those days where you re sad you ve lost but can't really be angry as the other team thoroughly deserved to win...
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    I thought Ireland completely bossed the game on Sunday.

The tactical kicking by Murray and Sexton was absolutely spot on and,allied by an excellent kick chase, pinned England back the whole game. Joe Schmidt's tactics were spot on whereas England's game plan seemed ill thought out, kicking to Zebo time and again when he was gaining ground every time was just dumb.

Ireland will probably need a new game plan against Wales in a couple of weeks time as the Welsh back three are a superior unit to Englands and would probably thrive on that amount of possession. Also Ireland look a much weaker team without Jonny Sexton, the way they fell away after he left the field will be a big worry.
  • ddraver
    How people can criticise Brian Moore for being biased when you listen to Eddie and Jiffy at the moment...

:roll:

Once again Wayne Barnes can only be described as Random, but still, good for england! :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Or at the very least if he can't stopped being biased then someone should tell Davies a co-commentator should do most of his talking in the breaks in play, not keep butting in over the commentator whilst the action is unfolding.
  • ddraver
    ...having said that the ENGvSCO half time discussion wasnt exactly a paragon of balance...
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,077
    edited March 2015
    Watching Eng v Scot right now. The half time commentary is pretty much all about England. But you probably can't tell if you are English because that is how it has always been. What you hear from Jiffy, Keith Wood etc is what the BBC usually sounds like to a non-English person. So get over it!

Having said that I like Brian Moore and enjoy his opinions. Jiffy's analysis vey good if you can get passed his accent you may hear that he gives credit and criticism where it is due regardless of 'nationality''.
  • secretsqirrel
    ddraver wrote:
    ...having said that the ENGvSCO half time discussion wasnt exactly a paragon of balance...

Sorry DD crossed post. My submission took ages.
  • ddraver
    No problem, I watch all the games so i don't buy what you say to be honest

Anyway, Given the situation this year I count 6 English try chances that they have blown...
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    I watch them all also. But clearly from a different perspective. :lol:
  • ddraver
    Well, Ok they won but England should be 50 points over Ireland in the table tonight...
    - @ddraver
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,117
    ddraver wrote:
    Well, Ok they won but England should be 50 points over Ireland in the table tonight...

yep, got a feeling they are going to regret those missed opportunity's
  • ddraver
    Squirrel, It's a terrible game I admit but if you compare Eddie today to Eddie last night and then Eddie on the first weekend,....
    - @ddraver
  • secretsqirrel
    ddraver wrote:
    Squirrel, It's a terrible game I admit but if you compare Eddie today to Eddie last night and then Eddie on the first weekend,....

It was a terrible game.

Eddie is always Eddie to me. I don't notice what he says most of the time. I don't find him that invasive on my enjoyment/disappointment/outrage/boredom. I think generally he knows what he is talking about.

I'm not saying that any of the commentators are not biased. It just doesn't bother me that much.

For what its worth I'm not keen on Ian Robertson on Radio 5. I find him a bit too pro-English and it probably grates on me because he is Scottish.

As for Super Saturday, I think England to take the Championship and the pre WC hype. :P

Incidentally, there is no u in Sqirrel, but there is definately an i. :wink:
  • ddraver
    Damn Auto correct!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    sour_grapes.jpg
  • stu-bim
    Complete rubbish. Wayne Barnes may be a bit over enthusiastic to get into a game but to claim he was against Ireland is crap.

He sin binned two Welsh players and gave a penalty try to Ireland, hardly cheating us.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon