Six Nations 2015

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited March 2015 in The cake stop
Excellent win by what was effectively a 2nd XV England team against a desperately third rate Wales.
Bodes well for the rest of the tournament.

Tomorrow, two more matches and I reckon two more away wins with Ireland being far too good for Italy and Scotland in with an excellent chance against a ramshackle France.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Scotland to win in Paris?
    Clear evidence that you have been celebrating too hard. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Great to see England play but ireland are still a serious risk and they will play bad against Scotland
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    KAH FLIPPING BOOM!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited February 2015
    Tim_jones wrote:
    Great to see England play but ireland are still a serious risk and they will play bad against Scotland
    I don't know. Everyone's playing up Irelands chances. We do hate being favourites so I'm getting a little worried!
    We're certainly in with a good shot but I'm by no means confident.

P.S. I'm Irish
  • With Lancaster I always feel a second choice team might be better than his picks as first choice. Some kicking nerves aside I felt Ford was the most complete number 10 we've had in years. The amount of point lost due to Farrell giving away penalties and being sin binned far outweighs his kicking advantage over Ford or Cipriani..

Wales were very poor in the second half. Wouldn't count on a similar England performance being enough all the time.
  • ddraver
    Having lived in Wales for 6 years and suffered through every 6 Nations the memory of hearing Swing Low echoing around the Millenium Stadium will prevent any rational match analysis for a few days!
    - @ddraver
  • I was surprised how much the Welsh tired in the 2nd half. I'm rarely an optimistic spectator but even though the scores were tight I found myself assured England would win due to how much fitter they looked in the last quarter of the game.

Was also nice to beat them after that ridiculous pre-match lights and firework show, it was overblown nonsense. I assume that display was at the behest of the Welsh RFU?
  • ddraver
    So what are the opinions on the "Great Tunnel Standoff" then?
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    ddraver wrote:
    So what are the opinions on the "Great Tunnel Standoff" then?

Well played England in this case, Wales wanted England waiting in the freezing cold and in front of a hostile crowd but they weren't having any of it.

Loved it when Mike Brown said that if Wales weren't ready then they would go back to the changing room.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    First the social bit:

I was there on Friday and what a place. As a lifelong player, fan (England) and lover of the Six Nations, that was my first time watching England v Wales in Cardiff and I had an absolute blast. What a city and what great hosts the Welsh were before the game and very very gracious in defeat after it. The Millenium Stadium was electrifying (although I could have done without the light show). God Save the Queen was louder than I thought it would ever be but The Welsh National anthem just crushes you in that place - goodness knows what its like as a player. So if you're Welsh and had anything to do with that game officially, socially or otherwise, a massive thank you - it was quite superb.

Now the game:

Firstly, I didn't think we stood much of a chance and was fully expecting to come away having had a day on the lash, bit of a laugh but ultimately losers. 10 minutes in and we're further behind than we were 2 years ago and it ain't looking good. 10 minutes to go and we're on top of the world!

It seems that Lancaster has maybe found his best XV by accident - great performances from Ford, Joseph and Watson and what a return to duty for Haskell - he was absolutely imperious.

On another day, I think we could have been 15 points clear. Rhys Webb's try was the result of Falatau handling in the scrum - disallowed by TMO if asked, Haskell was an upright away from scoring (with Wales committing a penalty offence to stop him) and the "crossing" that Attwood's try was disallowed for is (sadly) commonplace in the modern game. Having watched the game on iPlayer yesterday, I think England were more than 5 points better although I am not wholly convinced Wales are as good as some would have them be. Robshaw became a captain in that tunnel - loved the nonchalant way they walked out onto the pitch.

I thought Ireland were pretty ordinary for an hour against Italy whilst Scotland's new coach and young players were quite a revelation against a France that could, but don't put 40 points on anyone. Glad we've got them both at home.

Love this competition.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ai_1
    laurentian wrote:
    ....I thought Ireland were pretty ordinary for an hour against Italy...
    Yep, not much on show Saturday. It was pretty scrappy with some good play but lots of small errors by Ireland. It took a long while to make much progress with the Italian defense and it all came down to 5 minutes while they had a man in the sin bin. Not terribly inspiring.
    However, Ireland generally, but not always, plays much better the bigger the match. I'd hope for and expect a much more impressive performance against England, France and Wales. I think England will likely pose the biggest challenge this year. I remain hopeful but not yet confident of a successful tournament.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    We always start slow and usually do against Italy more so

But although not too exciting I thought it was a very measured performance

No signs of panic and except of the occasional isolated incident of poor execution, no loose play

With all due respect to Italy, Ireland were camped out in their half most of the game

Italy will not be expected to have a purple patch. So it's very different than playing England / France were you must expect to get your scores when you have good possession or you will be punished when the pendulum swings

The up front dominance for such a long period is something to be noted
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • laurentian
    stu-bim wrote:
    We always start slow and usually do against Italy more so

But although not too exciting I thought it was a very measured performance

No signs of panic and except of the occasional isolated incident of poor execution, no loose play

With all due respect to Italy, Ireland were camped out in their half most of the game

Italy will not be expected to have a purple patch. So it's very different than playing England / France were you must expect to get your scores when you have good possession or you will be punished when the pendulum swings

The up front dominance for such a long period is something to be noted

I think O'Brien would also have made a big difference. A player like that coming on with a point to prove would be a handful for anyone . . . I did feel for him . . . he's bound to be fit for England!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,390
    I said all week Wales would lose. They always start the championship badly and I felt England's injury list just meant that some excellent young players had a chance to make themselves contenders to be first choice in the RWC. I couldn't understand why so many people were convinced Wales would win. That said, I was expecting such a bad performance from Wales - the final scoreline flattered Wales and but for a bit of bad luck England would have got another 14 points on the board. After the first 10 minutes Wales were clueless and never looked like threatening even when they had the possession in the first half. Second half England did a great job of starving Wales of possession and the Welsh seemed desperate to ensure that when they got some they instantly gave it back again.

If I were English (and I thank God everyday that I'm not :wink: ) I would be hoping that the management have enough common sense to play Joseph at centre when everyone is fit again. It did far more damage than having Tuilagi or similar taking the obvious route 1 approach every time. Ford needs to first choice 10 as well.
  • laurentian
    Pross wrote:
    I said all week Wales would lose. .

One of the people I went with knows somebody who is very, very well connected to the WRU. We met up with him prior to the match and he said exactly the same. In fact, he said that any of the newcomers to the England side would walk into the Welsh squad and that it was England who were the far more relaxed side before the game. As I said above, I don't think Wales are as good as many would say. I reckon I might just put some money on Scotland beating them at Murrayfield.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Wales are just so inconsistent. I'm actually hoping that the national team have a few terrible years as their relatives success and the commercial success of international matches is papering over some serious flaws in the Welsh structure that are glaring to anyone who follows the domestic game. Once the non-rugby crowd (I.e. Those who think the sport only exists on international days) get fed up of paying £80 or more to see Wales lose and the income stops rolling in maybe the WRU will realise how much they have alienated the core of rugby supporters. I think we may well lose again on Saturday (oddly I think we'll beat Ireland though).

England were good considering the injury list but certainly not great. The Scots are improving, who knows what France are doing, Italy do their regular fighting performance but lack quality. Ireland are the odd ones, they keep flattering to deceive.
  • ai_1
    Pross wrote:
    ...I think we may well lose again on Saturday (oddly I think we'll beat Ireland though).
    Any particular reason or just gut feeling?
    Pross wrote:
    ...Ireland are the odd ones, they keep flattering to deceive.
    In the last couple of world cups, yes. In the last 6 nations? Hardly. This time around - too early to tell. However considering last Saturday was hardly a disaster and was in reality far from a full strength side I don't think Ireland need to worry just yet. The good news is Heslip, O'Brien, Sexton, Healy, etc now all look available to play next weekend.
    If a better France turn up in Dublin than we've seen recently then it could throw the whole think in the air but otherwise I can only see it going to either Ireland or England this year.

Two 6 Nations in a row going into the World Cup would be nice!....then we can stuff it up on the big stage :wink:
  • laurentian
    Lancaster names unchanged 23 for Italy game
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • crispybug2
    This weekends fixtures:-

England vs Italy

Ireland vs France

Scotland vs Wales

Three home wins I reckon.
  • crispybug2
    Strangely disjointed effort from England despite the convincing scoreline. Jonathan Joseph looks the real deal though, fabulous footwork and a searing turn of pace.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Strangely disjointed effort from England despite the convincing scoreline. Jonathan Joseph looks the real deal though, fabulous footwork and a searing turn of pace.

Totally agree re Joseph, best outside centre since Guscott.

Think England were on a hiding to nothing today. Did have a bit of an after The Lord Mayors show feel about it, but, struggling to think what sort of performance I'd have been happy with. They scored plenty of points, but as you say seemed to only play in fits and starts.

Ireland vs England shaping up as a huge game.
  • Was bit of an odd one, Mike Brown getting knocked out proved to be beneficial as it allowed us to regroup after a slow start. Good job Italy don't have a kicker of any sort either.
  • ddraver
    The SRFU seem to be influenced by the SNP - lots of passion but not much intelligence...
    - @ddraver
  • crispybug2
    A few years back I heard that ex players would make better referees as they would understand the game better from a players point of view....... Glenn Jackson has just blown that theory to sh1t!!!!!
  • ddraver
    What did you disagree with. I'm not sure that he made any howlers. What IS clear is that the IRB need to clear up once and for all what the protocol for a last minute try is. Not counting the conversion as playing time seems the simplest for me...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Thought he was very lax on his penalising offences in the 22. First half Scotland got away with a load, second half Wales got away with more.

The timing at the end I can understand the Scots getting upset but ultimately Hamilton wasted a load of time starting a pointless punch up (which arguably should have resulted in Wales getting a penalty from the restart) and then the kicker took an age and showed no urgency to take the conversion.
  • ai_1
    crispybug2 wrote:
    This weekends fixtures:-

England 47 vs Italy 17

Ireland 18 vs France 11

Scotland 23 vs Wales 26

Three home wins I reckon.
    I missed England v Italy

Ireland v France was frustrating. I thought Ireland should have won by more but they let things get dodgy in the second half. Still it's a good place to be when you beat France and you're complaining about the margin.

Wales were the better side against Scotland but Scotland may still have had a shot were it not for some awful refereeing decisions. It was a good game to watch. Scotland were really up for it but were lacking a bit in skill.
  • ddraver
    Ok, so reading around the rags today it appears that watching rugby whilst fettling my gear cables may not give me the full impression of the game...

I blame Jiffy's bias ;)
    - @ddraver
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Big one this week, could be the decider
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • ai_1
    stu-bim wrote:
    Big one this week, could be the decider
    Heslip is going to be a big loss. Should be a good game though. Hard one to call.
    I'm saying Ireland but then I would!
    I may be working Sunday :( I'll be very upset if I can't watch the match.