Help/Advise back on the Saddle

Jahmoo
Jahmoo Posts: 168
Hi Guys,

Just a bit of help, advise please.

Come off my bike mid December, hit some Black Ice, came a cropper, usual pride hurt, arm hurt, leg hurt and did some damage to my groan, so took a while to get better, couple of weeks, at least.

I have been out a couple of times, but can not bring myself to go out in the cold again, in case I come a cropper again.

Am I wise to stay off the bike, it pains me when I see others cycling.... I miss not riding and had all these plans on being ready for Spring to go further....

Should I just get on the bloody thing, best way to forget?

Jahmoo

Comments

• Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    Jahmoo wrote:
    it pains me when I see others cycling.... I miss not riding
    It pains me too to see others riding when I cannot, and I've been that way because of health problems for over two years.
    You should be thankful you have the choice whether or not to ride, and whichever decision you make be glad that you've made it freely and not under the compulsion of circumstances beyond your control. I'm a paracyclist with permanent accident-related injuries and they never stopped me from riding my bike. Unfortunately I've also developed an immune disorder that does stop me. If I was in your shoes I'd be out there like a shot.
  • Assuming you are fully mended physically it's probably a good idea to get back out on your bike, the expected health benefits outweigh the likelihood of being hurt in another crash. Saying that, if you are nervous you are possibly more likely to crash in my opinion as you will be stiff going round corners, brake innappropriately etc (I've had experience of all this following a high speed crash whilst descending).

I think the conditions for black ice formation are relatively well understood, so the key thing will be only to go out when you are sure that there won't be any (shouldn't be too hard in Hampshire) as this should allow you to ride in a more relaxed and safe fashion.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    You may just have been unlucky but the way I look at it is any risk of ice means I don't go out. As well as the weather forecast, if there is ice on the car in the morning or frozen puddles I give cycling a miss. I have come off twice on black ice, once was bad luck the other was my own fault. Luckily no permanent injuries either time.
  • Jahmoo
    Cheers for feedback guys, appreciated.

Been out a couple of times now and hope to get out in the morning. Seems the weather temp is higher, so not much risk out there, but as said, felt a bit stiff at first, so was good to go out when weather a little warmer and no signs of ice.

My accident was unlucky, most of the ride I had experienced a twitchy back wheel a few times, so knew it was dodgy, but I had all under control, just took my mind of the conditions for one second, no joke and that was that.

Glad to get out and enjoyed a couple of short cardio rides to get me going.

As said, appreciate your comments :)
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I believe this is a mental issue.

I think the reason you cycle or want to cycle will dictate how easy it is for you to return to the bike.

For me, in October I had a very serious cycling injury which resulted in the broken neck I received not being my most serious injury and the reason I spent a week in hospital (I don't like talking about the other 2 life threatening injuries- yes I dodged the death bullet 3 times in one day). I had two options. One I could stop cyclcing, or two I could to my time and heal physically and then get on a bike ASAP.

Mentally it was though. For the two months I wore a neck brace and had my broken collar bone in a sling I thought I'd never cycle again. I thought my Xmas presents would be running shoes and a Garmin Forerunner and I'd opt for a new sport.

It would have been easy for me to quit. I'm not a quitter though and rule number 5 on the following was relevant. Why let a crash bet you?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

My advise is to therefore get back on your bike.

I crashed 2 years ago on ice. I now opt to not ride when it is icy. Its simple. Now if the weather is bad I use the turbo trainer, its far more fun that dodging ice and getting cold.

I've only ridden my MTB twice ince the crash and now I can move my neck the road bike two times. I am on the turbo darly ensuring that my fitness improves and I will only go outside when the weather is decent.

Every crash is scary but it souns like yours in the general scheme of crashes was quite insignificant. If you cycle you have to expect that things you don't want happen and you have to take them and move on.
  • Jahmoo
    Well, funny you say my crash was a mere scratch to the bike...

Front wheel slid from under me this Friday gone, little more damage this time... Knee messy, wrist, shoulders a mess, bike a mess, wet and greasy road.

Looks like I will rest out till spring and make sure I have a proper winter ride... Not had this many problems and been riding for many years. Just on a different bike!!!
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    BrandonA wrote:
    I believe this is a mental issue.

I'm not a quitter though and rule number 5 on the following was relevant. Why let a crash bet you?

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

My advise is to therefore get back on your bike

Every crash is scary but it souns like yours in the general scheme of crashes was quite insignificant. If you cycle you have to expect that things you don't want happen and you have to take them and move on.
    Yes, you have to accept that things happen that you don't want to happen, but sometimes what you have to accept is that there is no moving on and your cycling is finished. That's the ultimate application of your rule number 5. Very few people, however severe their accident, really understand rule number 5.

Everyone likes to think they're not a quitter, until they find that quitting is the only option left.
  • Jahmoo
    Recovering well enough, although still hurting.

Enjoyed the Rules, but have to say breaking some of them, probably with age.

Looking forward to being able to get out and clean and fix my ride, when able and need to buy and replace the shifters, both a mess.