Should e-bikes be allowed on regular trails?

ben_delaney
ben_delaney Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in MTB general
E-bikes are becoming more common, and proponents say that getting more people on bikes, more often, is a good thing. But do they belong on standard mountain bike trails? Can they coexist with mountain bikes without more regulation? What do you think?

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cyd190468 wrote:
    ... and lack the power to damage the trails like dirt bikes do.

I've ridden a couple and they both had so much torque at the back that the rear wheel was scrabbling then losing traction and spinning out on quite a few of the climbs, so there's potential for them to chew up the trail way more than a regular bike. If you start getting a lot of them it's going to take its toll on the trails.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I'm in the mindset that they are missing the point of a bike. Not only that but i think like everything else out there it will end up getting bigger,faster,stronger. and thats when the dammage will start on the trails and because we allowed it from the start it will be very hard to stop.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I recall the super lightweight E-bike built by some old German bloke so he could still go mountain biking, that sort of usage I have no issue with, road legal e-bikes don't generate that much power, but some can be had putting out up to 10bhp or even more, they will tear up the trail somewhat!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The e-bike I have ridden (a Haibike) certainly didn't have enough power to "tear up the trails" - it just adds thrust to whatever input you give to the pedals, so you can't flick a switch and let it carry you. Also because of this, wheel-spinning it would be about as beneficial as it is on a normal bike, so unlike motocrossers, there wouldn't be the temptation to just apply maximum power at the expense of control.

My overall impression was that they are unlikely to catch on in a big way for proper "woodsy singletrack" riding because the weight becomes a huge, ungainly disadvantage on the descents and lifting the damn thing over a fallen tree was a Herculean task. You may see quite a few of them about on bridleways, byways and green lanes etc, but I think our rider-built singletrack's main threat will always be motorbikes.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The off-the-shelf ones I've ridden have been quite good fun and I wouldn't have a problem with those, although, yes, I do think they're missing the point of cycling unless the rider has a real need for one. The problem is all the idiots who build 1000W monsters (there are two near me). They're too fast and unwieldy, which means they stick to the smoother, easier, faster trails that are popular with beginners, walkers, etc. The people on them tend not to be bikers and have little respect for the idea that we have to share and respect the trails for our own good, not just for other users. They'll be the last people to care when access for cyclists is reviewed (this is within the context of Swedish access rights, which are very liberal, but have no actual basis in the law).
  • VWsurfbum
    When i was in Cannock last month there was a guy on a full suss giant, full face the lot, zoomed up the climbs and it must be said he knew what he was doing and didnt pester anyone and i could see if you only had an hour spare, a loop of cannock on a Ebike would be a lot of fun. Should it be allowed? not so sure.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie
    1000W is hardly a monster when you can get ones with 5-7 times that amount!

Most of us can put out circa 400-500W anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Not everyone is able to mountain bike fully due to age or injury so for them E bikes are a very good thing. I would agree the speed and power needs to be kept reasonable or the extra weight / power will tear the trails apart.
  • Angus Young
    I laughed out loud the first few times I pelted up a hill. Then I got bored.
  • The Rookie
    Interestingly this just came up on the BR facebook feed.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/artic ... ack-43510/
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Kajjal wrote:
    Not everyone is able to mountain bike fully due to age or injury so for them E bikes are a very good thing. I would agree the speed and power needs to be kept reasonable or the extra weight / power will tear the trails apart.

I second that.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I reckon people that cause brake bumps are worse than people on e-bikes. I don't care whether they want to ride their e-bikes on the trails - I might get slightly jealous on the ups however
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are bikes with motors therefore they are motorbikes and shouldnt be allowed on trails.
  • Angus Young
    Yep, clue's in the name: Pushbike
  • rockmonkeysc

Push iron or push rod down here in the Westcountry.
  • With the additional power and speed I can see a potential for a few incidents - Especially if they're put in the hands of novices.

I've been passed by a fair few going up hill on fire roads but not really encountered them on my regular off-piste routes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369

only time I push my bike is on hills I can't cycle up.
  • But you push the pedals most of the time
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    But you push the pedals most of the time

I also pull the pedals. however, the first bicycles didn't have pedals and you had to push it along with your feet hence push bicycle, bikes that have pedals are technically called pedal bicycles
  • Angus Young
    POAH wrote:

I also pull the pedals. however, the first bicycles didn't have pedals and you had to push it along with your feet hence push bicycle, bikes that have pedals are technically called pedal bicycles

Jeeze, you really will argue about anything.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:

No he won't
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:

No he won't
    Oh yes he will.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:

No he won't
    Oh yes he will.

Behind you!
  • I love my ebike. I'm actually pretty fit (regulary take my Boardman Pro 29 out on the trails as well, esp when riding in group).

Copes with Gisburn just fine :-)

10513529_10204557713961592_850770222449929301_n.jpg?oh=eb8a8bab93d0f0619c54592824f2eabd&oe=5594F149
    IMAG08391_zps0a54aef2.jpg
    IMAG08401_zpsaaf5facb.jpg

For solo exploring I prefer to take the ebike - can cover more ground. For group rides, I take the human powered only bike out as the ebike is too quick (on the ebike I find myself slow spinning in bottom gear waiting for people to keep up and that's not very good for the motor, it just gets hot).

I can sorta understand peoples resistance to them but you've really got nothing to fear - alot of ebikers like me were mountain bikers first and know how to handle themselves on the trails. I have a lot of respect for the trails I use and I don't want to see thier use restricted. I don't churn the trails up when climbing them, any more than I did by locking the brakes when coming down them before I got into ebikes. And it's not cheating. If that was the deciding factor then we should all ride single speeds - after all - don't gears just help you climb more easily?

In fact, we should all walk, as a cycle is just a tool to enable people to cover distance easier and faster - ooh, which is what an ebike does too!
  • Angus Young
    I love my ebike. I'm actually pretty fit (regulary take my Boardman Pro 29 out on the trails as well, esp when riding in group).

Copes with Gisburn just fine :-)

10513529_10204557713961592_850770222449929301_n.jpg?oh=eb8a8bab93d0f0619c54592824f2eabd&oe=5594F149
    IMAG08391_zps0a54aef2.jpg
    IMAG08401_zpsaaf5facb.jpg

For solo exploring I prefer to take the ebike - can cover more ground. For group rides, I take the human powered only bike out as the ebike is too quick (on the ebike I find myself slow spinning in bottom gear waiting for people to keep up and that's not very good for the motor, it just gets hot).

I can sorta understand peoples resistance to them but you've really got nothing to fear - alot of ebikers like me were mountain bikers first and know how to handle themselves on the trails. I have a lot of respect for the trails I use and I don't want to see thier use restricted. I don't churn the trails up when climbing them, any more than I did by locking the brakes when coming down them before I got into ebikes. And it's not cheating. If that was the deciding factor then we should all ride single speeds - after all - don't gears just help you climb more easily?

In fact, we should all walk, as a cycle is just a tool to enable people to cover distance easier and faster - ooh, which is what an ebike does too!

You forgot to mention how boring they are to ride. Sure, you'll laugh out loud the first few times you pelt up a climb. It's quite something. But once the novelty wears off, they're just plain boring. Half the fun of riding is coming home absolutely shredded by the climb that beat you and then finally beating it back. When you make a climb on an e-bike it's just big deal, so what.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you need a motor then maybe cycling isnt for you.
  • VWsurfbum
    I was at bedgebury yesterday, 2 guys came up a climb in a very high gear (looked odd) but then pooped into the trail just in front of us as we waiting to regroup, they were hire bikes from the centre and looked very good, but they were not struggling at all. i can see if you were recovering from an injury or had a disability they would keep you getting out, but for able bodied people at a (relativly) easy trail centre they are over kill.

combatsapph Your club roost looks a bit aftermarket? or is it sold like that?
    I can understand what your using it for, i hope you get to find more new trails to use on your proper bike?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • stretchy
    stretchy Posts: 149
    Wow guys, don't forget to disregard everyone who may have a different opinion to yours. Just because you are able to ride a "normal" bike or don't enjoy riding an Ebike it doesn't mean that everyone should feel the same way.

Do Ebikes really destroy trails? Why don't we ban people who weigh more than you or can put out more power than you on a normal bike?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    stretchy wrote:
    Wow guys, don't forget to disregard everyone who may have a different opinion to yours. Just because you are able to ride a bicycle or don't enjoy riding a motorbike it doesn't mean that everyone should feel the same way.

Quite and FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools