Can anybody please identify this bike and model for me plz?

Wheelieboi1234
Wheelieboi1234 Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Hi guys im new to the forum and looking for some help i hope i have posted in the right section.
My friend had purchased a pushbike and wants to find out what the actual make of the bike is and model and there doesnt seem to be any distintive marking we can see to identify it he was told it was a muddy fox but we havent got a clue and cant seem to find any pictures of the same bike on the n if anybody would be so kind to let me no what you think it is that would be great thanks in advance .

Post a picture with this post

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It has a very similar look to the circa 2001 Spesh FSR's with the way that upper link operates.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very similar but it's not one. Not sure what it is
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    There are some Santa Cruz from around 2000 that look a lot like that.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'm sure Santa Cruz never had a Horst link bike
  • Angus Young
    I'm sure Santa Cruz never had a Horst link bike

I have no idea about that. I just remember seeing something very similar in a 25th anniversary ad they ran some time back. Mind you, I don't suppose this is a particularly unique look so it probably doesn't mean much.
  • Muddy Fox Rock N Roll Downhill circa '99/2k

https://public.dm2303.livefilestore.com ... s=97576100
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Super 8 is the SC bike I suspect people are thinking of. It' definitely not though. There are quite a few Muddy Foxes that are 99% similar (Drift, Rock n' Roll, and Stomp), but not quite. Even the linkage is the same on the Stomp, but the front 'triangle' is slightly different.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    warpcow wrote:
    Super 8 is the SC bike I suspect people are thinking of. It' definitely not though. There are quite a few Muddy Foxes that are 99% similar (Drift, Rock n' Roll, and Stomp), but not quite. Even the linkage is the same on the Stomp, but the front 'triangle' is slightly different.
    I don't think anybody was thinking it was a Super 8, it bears no resemblance whatsoever.

The Muddyfox mentioned earlier seems to fit the bill. My first thought was Club Roost DH8 - back end looks the same but the front triangle on this looks a bit more agricultural on this, though various bits probably came out of the same factories anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Back ends were the same I believe, better pic of the MFX just to remove doubts:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9329 ... 049mg5.jpg
  • Angus Young
    ilovedirt wrote:
    warpcow wrote:
    Super 8 is the SC bike I suspect people are thinking of. It' definitely not though.
    I don't think anybody was thinking it was a Super 8, it bears no resemblance whatsoever.

Actually, yes, I've just dug the ad out and it was the Super 8. And it does look something like this. Enough that from memory it might have been a contender.
  • From memory.....super8 was a single pivot bike :)

:evil:

Edit: How the Muddy rolled out of the factory (they were heavy beasts but worked well, mate had one bitd)

Can't link individual pic...grrrr

http://mtbsivut.tripod.com/kuvat11.htm
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It looks nothing like a Super 8 :shock:

It's not a Spesh, nor a Santa Cruz. Would definitely say it's something cheap, Muddy Fox, Club Roost etc. They're not Fox forks either.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Still managed to be right by being wrong somehow :lol: Notice I said it's not a Super 8 too.

Super 8 was the only SC bike I could think of that might remotely resemble the OP's (early Driver8/V10 maybe, but then the visible link would be above the shock).
  • Angus Young
    njee20 wrote:

It looks enough like it to be a contender from memory, the defining feature that sprung to mind being the 'flying' seat tube. I have the ad in front of me, and at a glance there is a resemblence.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    njee20 wrote:

It looks enough like it to be a contender from memory, the defining feature that sprung to mind being the 'flying' seat tube. I have the ad in front of me, and at a glance there is a resemblence.
    only the later ones.

but the big single pivot arm kinda takes it away from being anything close.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

only the later ones.

but the big single pivot arm kinda takes it away from being anything close.

I was going from memory.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not even remotely similar to a Super 8.
  • Looks like a Muddy Fox Rock n Roll to me
    DSCF0013_zpsdolsk1se.jpg
  • Angus Young

It is in the photo I've got of it.
  • The Rookie
    erm...photo or it doesn't exist!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt

I still don't see how it bears any resemblance. You need your eyes checking.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    61882d1110460061-super-8-santa_cruz_s8.jpg
    file.php?id=17870

There is no resemblance
  • Angus Young
    Yeah, you're right. None whatsoever.
  • ilovedirt
    Front mish-mash of tubes looks perhaps vaguely similar, but I still don't see how anyone could get the two confused...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Angus Young
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Front mish-mash of tubes looks perhaps vaguely similar, but I still don't see how anyone could get the two confused...

Did you all miss the 'from memory' part?
  • The Rookie

So show us this remotely similar photo then!
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I can see a similarity - they both look rank! looks like they were welded in a farm yard out of spare tractor parts!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why do you hate tractors so much?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    I think he just dislikes Delta frames (which are a bit 2000's really!).
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I like tractors! but not those bikes! I absolutely hate interrupted seat tubes though. Had one on an old specialized and it was so annoying having no option to adjust saddle height.